Mortgage Exit Fees successes and failures

Comments

• Hi
    Just phoned Halifax on their dedicated no. for mortgage disch. fees.
    Got result straight away, just gave them my roll no. (the only documentation I had). They checked their records confirmed I had paid a disch. fee of £175. Told me that when I took the mort. out with them it was £40 and that I should receive a letter within 28 days confirming this and a refund of £135 difference!
    All this took about 5 mins. thanks Martin!!
  • paultw5
    paultw5 Posts: 146 Forumite
    Just phoned C & G, paid £100 exit fee in July 2003...5 minute phone call later they are refunding me £90.80 within the next 7 - 10 days...

Just needed account details etc...how easy was that....

Phone number taken from the this is money link (which i have know edited to this message) to C&G if any one else needs it...

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgages/article.html?in_article_id=417037&in_page_id=8
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    annie42 wrote:
    Look at post 93 on the other exit fees forum or go to www.thisismoney.co.uk

Thanks!!!! Seems it went from £75 to £125, so another letter to write!!!!! (though it says they are reviewing position, may wait a bit as hopefully they will agree to give in without a fight!!!!!)

Still want to find paperwork though!!!!!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Grabbit_2
    Grabbit_2 Posts: 124 Forumite
    Who hoo !!!!!!
    After complaining successfully about a Woolwich mortgage endowment and getting compensation last year I was a bit miffed when they refused point blank to accept that they should only charge me £50 as stated in the original T&C's.

Following this thread and Martin's recent newsletter it is apparent that the Woolwich opened a "We'll pay your money back immediately" line yesterday 08000 234180
    Just rang them spent 2 minutes giving them details and a cheque is in the post for £225 plus £10.60 interest.
    The This is money link above gives the position for each of the major banks and is excellent reading for everyone.

:j
  • I am currently comming to the end of 5 year fix with Coventry BS (going to ING Direct, none of this nonsense with fees) after phone call they confirmed today the will stick by their (our!) original arrangement of £95 so they are sending me a letter confirming it will not be £195 which they now charge.
    Success!!!
  • Wrote to A&L last week, claiming £100, as the MEAF I payed was £295, original MEAF £195. Received the following letter today,

Dear *****

Thank you for taking the time to contact us to highlight your concerns.

We are currently looking into the issue you have raised and will let you have our response as soon as possible.

Alliance & Leicester is commited to resolving complaints as fairly as possible and our leaflet explains the actions we will take.

In the meantime, if you feel the need to discuss this matter further please contact us on 0116 200 3916.

Yours sincerly

Customer Services

Also wrote to the woolwich claiming £45 from 2004, not yet heard anything. Tried ringing them on the number from one of the above posts, but they said they can't access my details at the moment, as they're not transferred onto the system yet (sounds like BS) & will ring back.
    Next year we'll be millionaires!
  • Tom_Jones
    Tom_Jones Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Why is it always that the Woolwich seem to drag their feet in such issues. I paid a £275 redemption fee with them last year with an original MEAF of £50 so a letter is being sent tommorrow and let's see what happens.
  • I swopped lenders about 2 years ago - so I wrote to my previous mortgage lender C&G re: refund. Within 2 days received a reply that the full amount would be refunded £225 plus interst of £24. Apparently when my original mortgage was taken out there was no exit fee - well it was 1989....... so far so good!!
  • Totally lost on this one! plz can anyone advise...?

Hubby remortaged in 2003 from Mortgagte Express to C&G. What is it i am supposed to be looking for..?? sorry to sound stupid, but willing to sound stupid if it means we may be eligible to get some money back off the banks!!

thanks in advance
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    You need to check the paperwork from Mortgage Express, both from when you took it out & remortgaged. There will be an exit fee or something similar quoted, compare this to the amount you were charged when you went to C & G. If you were charged higher you can claim back the difference, plus interest.

However, was mortgage with Mortgage Express (my turn to sound stupid now;) ) or were they brokers? If brokers it would be the actual mortgage company you would claim from.

Even if it's only £25 you should claim, if only as a matter of principle, nothing to do with the money of course (yeah, right :rotfl: ).

Let us know how you get on!!!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure