Find My Past automatic subscription renewal scam

Options

Comments

• Lenihacy
    Lenihacy Posts: 11 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I purchased a month subscription to FindMyPast on 12/04/18 and on 18/04/18 I logged into my account and turned off auto renew and made no other changes to my account 4 days later. I received a email back saying my account had been updated, as I made only made this ONE change, I did not fully read their reply email, why would I ( only asked not to auto renew) and they had replied "account Updated". Then today they renewed my month's subscription, so I looked back at the "Account Updated" email and guess what it said that I had chosen to continue my subscription!!
    I only logged in to turn it off and 100% know I did that.
    So please read your confirmation email carefully if you choose not to auto renew.
    Waiting for reply from FMP as to why they sent me Account Updated email? as according to them I had made no updates at all..
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,428 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I also feel that auto renewal is a bit of a scam, you should have to opt in, not opt out.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Zandoni wrote: »
    I also feel that auto renewal is a bit of a scam, you should have to opt in, not opt out.
    Again, that doesn't make it a scam. It's all completely upfront and explained simply. If you don't like the terms of their service, don't use their service.

With consumer rights come consumer responsibilities. Reading being one of them.
  • Zandoni
    Options
    Again, that doesn't make it a scam. It's all completely upfront and explained simply. If you don't like the terms of their service, don't use their service.

With consumer rights come consumer responsibilities. Reading being one of them.

I still feel it’s a bit of a scam, you shouldn’t have to scrutinise T&Cs every time you buy or subscribe to something.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I still feel it’s a bit of a scam, you shouldn’t have to scrutinise T&Cs every time you buy or subscribe to something.

That was written as a joke wasn't it?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As long as Ts&Cs are written in reasonably plain English, yes you should read them, there shouldn't be any need to "scrutinise" them. If they require legal knowledge for interpretation by a layman then they are not fit for purpose. The Ts&Cs on the site in question are clear and in plain English so what's the problem?
  • Zandoni
    Options
    unforeseen wrote: »
    That was written as a joke wasn't it?

No deadly serious, T&Cs should be pretty standard for this sort of thing, far too many companies hide behind them.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No deadly serious, T&Cs should be pretty standard for this sort of thing, far too many companies hide behind them.

If some people don't even make the slightest effort to read those
    T&C's, the companies don't have to hide behind anything.

I honestly can't believe that a long time MSE member such as yourself thinks that someone signing up to a financial contract doesn't have any responsibility to actually read up on what the legal terms of that contract are.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options

I honestly can't believe that a long time MSE member such as yourself thinks that someone signing up to a financial contract doesn't have any responsibility to actually read up on what the legal terms of that contract are.

Clearly you’ve never read any of Zandoni’s posts before !!!129315;
  • Zandoni
    Options

I never said you shouldn’t read the T&Cs I said you shouldn’t have to. I believe it’s wrong for you to be automatically opted in for auto renewal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure