PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,910
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks Wort I did read about doing the cutting for clematis but I know Ill end up forgetting to water them regularly. I thought I'd try layering as at least the stalk is still connected to the main plant and getting some water that way. If this doesn't work I'll perhaps try cuttings when we come back from holiday next month. I've tried taking cuttings from other plants previously and never had any success despite using rooting powder.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,053
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I'm beginning to think we should have a gardening thread! I did my 30 mins weeding today and then decided to get on with an outstanding job, jet washing the patio. I did it about a month ago but was hurrying to finish before it rained, and didn't do a thorough job.

Why does one job always lead to three more ... the drain was blocked, so three hours and two buckets of sludge later, and yes dear reader, I ended up sticking my bare hand down the drain to try and clear it ... :eek: Tomorrow's job is to finish that bit of jet washing and put it all back in place. And then clean the windows.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    edited 9 May 2018 at 11:16PM
    I'm kondoing four old cushions to the Red Cross shop. I almost had conniptions at the price of the ones I liked in John Lewis soft furnishings, £70 for one admittedly beautiful cushion, no way, but thankfully found affordable ones elsewhere. Phew.

What I really went to John Lewis for was their excellent £9 wall lights, which will allow me to get an electrician to Kondo the hideous wall lights in the flat I'm moving to, which simply have to go, they are truly ugly and spark the exact opposite of joy!

There are no ceiling lights, just wall lights. These will be fitted with the shades pointing down, so that they don't gather dust - a pet hate I have about uplighters. Dust and dead insects *shudders* :eek::eek:

Two more sleeps (counting tonight) till I pick up the keys.
    :j :j
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 10 May 2018 at 11:48AM
    WeeMidgie wrote: »

Two more sleeps (counting tonight) till I pick up the keys.
    :j :j
    :D Hooray!!

PWD, grinning in recognition of the one job leading to several more. Used to rent part of a mid-19th century house which was falling down around our ears. One tiddly little job (picture hook, anyone?!) could cause 7-8 other jobs and several hundreds of pounds of repairs. We ended up living very gingerly, walking very softly, and with our pictures leaning against the walls.......... :rotfl:

I'm a bit :jtoday as just had a brainwave. Am stuck indoors due to door fitting and Mum had asked me to get her some net curtains for her house and I was going to do that errand later today. My brainwave was to get into my net curtain stash and discover that I had unused nets which will (with a small amount of sewing) fit her two windows. Rang her to discuss whether the finessing is acceptable - one is to be shortened, and the other lengthened slightly from the top, and it's highly acceptable.

I win - a tiny bit more space in the airing cupboard and not having to go to the shops and Mum is delighted. I'll be over there later this month and the curtains will go with me.

ETA; The door is installed. I have acquired 8 new keys for it and the outdoor cupboard and will be shedding 10 keys (4 sets of 2 keys each for the two locks on the door which isn't there anymore and 2 for the meter cupboard as-was). I say will be shedding because I have two sets of old door keys and I need to get a set each to the folks and to SuperGran, and retrieve my old ones from them. All keys will be put on one ring and into metal recycling via a charity shop.

I'm busily switching the tags from old to new keys and can't wait to get the old keys outta here, nothing worse than irrelevant keys lying around, you'll end up keeping them forever (and your heirs after you) in case they're important.

It's a very nice door, much better than the one which it replaced. I am reassured because even the polis have a time breaking these down, so I'm told, which makes me feel a bit safer against the villains around my way.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    GQ, great news about the door! It's such an issue - I had a upvc front door fitted before I knew about such things, and I've regretted it multiple times ever since (though my own has never been put to the test, fortunately).
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Karmacat wrote: »
    GQ, great news about the door! It's such an issue - I had a upvc front door fitted before I knew about such things, and I've regretted it multiple times ever since (though my own has never been put to the test, fortunately).
    :o This is called a composite door, mainly made of uPVC, but the ones which look like gloss-painted wood from the outside, you've probably seen the like. Think they cost the thick end of £1k.

I've heard the Police grumbling that they're hard to get thru with a battering ram........:rotfl:

Certainly makes my flat look the business, several other flats nearby have had these doors already and I was beginnng to look like the poor relation around here.:p

I have done a chazzer bag drop-off, including the old door chain, which was my personal property, as the new door comes with one already installed. No point in putting it away somewhere as an MBU (might-be-useful, in my family's parlance). That was lies madness.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,887
    Forumite
    After a whole day of searching, turning, putting away, shredding, picking up, checking.... I have not found the documents. I even watsapped dh faraway to doublecheck his luggage, but he doesn't have them either :( I will have to call the council people and postpone our appointment to a Wednesday afternoon in 3 weeks, after my husband's return. B******r.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,053
    Forumite
    Oh no. :( Sorry to hear it
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It is that time of year, seems to be outdoor kondo, which arises via tidying, then soon indoor kondo again, once the garden is settled

I got to that `just too warm` point in bed last night so have to bite the bullet re my bedding. Yes I did the bedding kondo, twice but I bought more bedding since, cozee home, which is adorable for winter and how could I deprive my spare beds for my family. What bedding for summer? oh no, could not find it. I have silk aplenty for my bed, ok was from spending sprees when savings meant nothing. Silk gets worn out fairly quickly and is also quite warm, so I have decided to use my silk, for me, not store it for whenever

I did tidy my silk into sets, in pillowcases but they slip and slide, they are on the landing floor now and so are all the cozee home sets. I did buy one set of cotton percale last year, when silk was too warm, found it at last. I am going to have to go right through my bedding today, luckily kondo made me tighten up where I keep the stuff ie as near to the beds as possible. Wish me luck as I aim to have one winter set and one summer set per guest bed and 2 of each for my bed. I have 2 singles still side by side and like to dress them identically, so 3 sets for my 2 singles

ok that is my mind kondo`ed, first job of the day and I will have to use vac bags for the soft squishy fluffy winter sets
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Siebrie, what a pain! Sorry to hear it :(

Kittie, silk sounds amazing.

Kondoing for me - um, opening the post and disposing of the packaging? And making sure as much as possible is in the bin, as collection is today. And gradually getting rid of the pile of rotted down turfs from when I first got here - the now-its-soil, I'm just throwing it at the back of the border on the shady side. It'll do nicely there.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport