PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is something wrong with this house..?

I'm house hunting atm and I keep coming back to this house. It's in the area I'd like to live, and it's the style of house I'd like, and it's affordable.

It's been on the market a good long while, and they keep reducing the price...

I'm going on a viewing expedition next week, and it's on my list. Maybe I'll see something obvious in the flesh.

I appreciate no-one has a crystal ball etc, but could those more experienced than me (which is all of you :o) point out any issues I may be missing?

The 2 gardens thing is an oddity but that can't be it surely...?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65066128.html

Thanks for any advice and replies :)
The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.

Comments

• Hutch100uk
    Hutch100uk Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The garden set up is bizarre and I suspect this might be why its not selling. The kitchen is awful and needs completely updating. On street parking can put people off too.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    There are some patches on the walls. Perhaps damp issues? What’s going on with the neighbour's garden? Looks very overgrown. Most people would see it a big fix up job. They’d want a new bathroom and kitchen plus compete redecoration. The garden would be hard work to get into shape.

I like it though!
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Is the link working ok now?

I have factored in for a new kitchen, bathroom furniture I rather like. The bathroom patch round the fan looks like damp...? But that doesn't strike me as major.

I would prefer gas fires/living flame jobbers to a hole and a log burner, and the 2 gardens are niggly. I agree about the neighbours gardens.

Seems ok doesn't it?
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • Link doesn't work, I briefly saw it say Cheadle and the closest station Blythe Bridge but then it says can't be found.

I went to high school in Blythe Bridge and remember my mum taking me for weekly swimming lessons at the pool in Cheadle followed by fish and chips. They use to have metal baskets you'd have to hand in with your clothes and a number on them. Just beware you couldn't remember your basket number the woman there was a dragon!

I liked the seating area and glass bit above the pool, though my god it got hot!
  • ConsumerMatt
    ConsumerMatt Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    All things aside without seeing it (or smelling it!)... During my property viewings last year I noticed the houses that needed a little TLC were always up for a long time.

I think a lot of people, especially I suspect the younger first time buyers (of which I am part of, but thankfully without the same attitude), tend to expect a show home. This was evident by the absolutely immaculate houses being snapped up. Plus with house prices being so unaffordable for many, people are rightly trying to get as much as they can for their money.

The house I moved into had been redecorated top to bottom (an inherited house) but I moved in knowing the electrics were old and the boiler I now know is 35 years old :rotfl:

There are quirks and many bodges from generations of owners, which I have only discovered while redecorating. In my opinion, the more tatty the house the better as it's unlikely the bad bits have been covered over. At the end of the day, regardless of condition, every house has a feeling as soon as you walk in. I'm not the slight bit superstitious but I experienced it too and it can make the best looking house from Rightmove feel wrong from the start when you visit.

Is it your first session of viewings? If so, good luck and enjoy. I only viewed 4 and I did them all in one day. It was extremely tiring and emotional but in the end I purchased the first house I viewed. Stroke of luck!
  • It's working now.

Maybe worth asking the agent if there has been any offers already? Some.walls look damp, has it had any water damage or.leaks? What about Japanese Knotweed in the garden.
  • bhjm
    bhjm Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    not sure whats wrong with rightmove or if someone is adding and deleting this ad
    but
    "Agents Note
    None of these services, built in appliances, or where applicable, central heating systems have been tested by the Agents and we are unable to comment on their serviceability."
    would mean to me - you have to invest into a new central heating
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    The "odd" thing about the garden is the fact it is split in 2 by a right of way. Don't get any notions of getting the ROW moved, that won't happen.

So in effect you have a long thin garden with a ROW across the middle. It looks like the owners have just used the bit of garden close to the house and ignored the further bit.

Depending on your interest in gardening, I could see the close garden being a formal lawn, and the second garden being a vegetable garden with a shed and greenhouse, think of it as your own private allotment on your doorstep,
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!

I have factored in for a new kitchen, bathroom furniture I rather like. The bathroom patch round the fan looks like damp...? But that doesn't strike me as major.

I would prefer gas fires/living flame jobbers to a hole and a log burner, and the 2 gardens are niggly. I agree about the neighbours gardens.

Seems ok doesn't it?

Only one way to find out!:)

I don’t mind the two gardens. As ProDave says you’ve got your own allotment at the bottom of your garden. Because the two together are long you can probably find a spot away from the neighbours most of the time. I live in a terrace with a long thin garden and with a bit of creative planting etc you can create quite a few spots that feel private.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Seems ok doesn't it?

That bathroom leak around the fan looks like a roof leak to me especially taken in context with the big sag in the roof at the front of the house.

The Green is an A road so it is on a main road.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure