Collision: Whose fault is it?

Options

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    So committing an offence then?

Oh dear.....
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • CYPER
    CYPER Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A lot of people mentioned the van indicating and I would like to say 2 things:

1 - I did not see the indicator due to the low sun. The camera image is underexposed .
    2 - An indicator does not give right of way.

I did exactly what The Highway Code says I should do, while he didn't:
    When taking an exit to the right or going full circle (unless signs or markings indicate otherwise):
    Signal right and approach the exit in the right hand lane
    Keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to reach your exit
    Signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you intend to take

Btw I managed to completely remove the "damage" with WD-40, T-Cut Rapid Scratch Remover and a drill+attachment.

BifqXG4l.jpg
  • Mercdriver
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    The van turned across the car, leaving tyre marks. Difficult to see the lane position.

From what I saw, the car steered into the van. It looked to me like the car was taking the turning even though there was a vehicle there.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    From what I saw, the car steered into the van. It looked to me like the car was taking the turning even though there was a vehicle there.
    Yes. The OP has stated that an indicator doesn't give right of way but he couldn't see it anyway. But he must have seen the van yet chose to drive into the rear corner of it anyway.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Comments below.
    CYPER wrote: »
    A lot of people mentioned the van indicating and I would like to say 2 things:

1 - I did not see the indicator due to the low sun. The camera image is underexposed . doesnt matter, as per your second point, and you shouldn't rely on indicators anyway
    2 - An indicator does not give right of way. nor is it something that should be entirely relied upon

I did exactly what The Highway Code says I should do, while he didn't:

But the Highway Code doesn't say to take your exit under any circumstances, even when there's a van between it and you.

Btw I managed to completely remove the "damage" with WD-40, T-Cut Rapid Scratch Remover and a drill+attachment. Nice job!

BifqXG4l.jpg
  • sevenhills
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »

That would be illogical.

If that was the case, the side of the car would be dented/scratched; it has tyre marks.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    That would be illogical.

If that was the case, the side of the car would be dented/scratched; it has tyre marks.
    Why would that be the case?
    It the car steered into the van, it's entirely possible that the side of the bumper came into contact with the rear tyre of the van.
  • CYPER
    CYPER Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes. The OP has stated that an indicator doesn't give right of way but he couldn't see it anyway. But he must have seen the van yet chose to drive into the rear corner of it anyway.

I did not chose to hit that vat. Any sane person, which I am would avoid such a collision.
    Not seeing his indicators because of the sun shining I assumed the van is going straight being in the left lane. He then made a very quick last minute manoeuvre into my lane as to not miss his exit and even though I braked we collided.

If I had any expectations that he is going round, then I would have let him pass, but him being in the wrong lane is the main cause of the collision.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    CYPER wrote: »
    I did not chose to hit that vat. Any sane person, which I am would avoid such a collision.
    Not seeing his indicators because of the sun shining I assumed the van is going straight being in the left lane. He then made a very quick last minute manoeuvre into my lane as to not miss his exit and even though I braked we collided.

If I had any expectations that he is going round, then I would have let him pass, but him being in the wrong lane is the main cause of the collision.

But you didn't avoid one.
  • Joe_Horner
    Options
    Sorry, not convinced by the "low sun" bit for not seeing the indicator.

On the approach to the roundabout the van (and the car) enter full shade by about 2 sec in to the video. Apart from a couple of brief flashes of sunlight (which admittedly can be distracting) the van is still in shade at the 13 second mark when the collision occurs.

Even allowing for the couple of bright flashes of sun, that's a good 8 or 9 seconds where the van was in shade with a flashing amber light at close to the car driver's eye level!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure