PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

In dispute with landlord, wanted some feedback on email

2»

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    shoollhe wrote: »
    Sure, but how likely would it be? Im worried he will show pictures of the bedrooms in a mess to justify it despite it being single deposits and per room, or find specs of dust and say that was proof it wasn't spotless, had it in past with landlords before the scheme came in so worried it may happen again. - Yep, the scheme policy is not to employ anyone with common sense. They literally just employ people with an IQ of below 20....

So part of the question is if the other tenants left their rooms a tip or at least untidy/needing a hoover he would have a chance to take money from my deposit for it despite being seperate and counting it as communal charges.
    No, he cannot claim against you for other people. And the schemes are generally administered by trained people with good working knowledge of the law.
  • Guest101 wrote: »
    No, he cannot claim against you for other people. And the schemes are generally administered by trained people with good working knowledge of the law.

It wasn't an IQ thing but how well he can twist the truth, like I have pictures of a neat property and he brings out ones of it untidy, I had a ex landlord once arrive 2 hours early whilst I was doing a final clean after moving last of stuff out and take photos of the crumbs of dirt in corner then weeks later provide this as proof I didn't leave place spotless.

And one time I genuinely left some dust brushed in corner of a property despite it being cleaner than when I moved in and landlord still claimed for it, the place was spotless as can be apart from that with me using steam cleaner on laminiate and polishing wooden furniture even deep cleaning fridge freezer and getting rust off it and washing machine that were there when I moved in, irrelvant mostly but shows how I have been conned in past.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    It wasn't an IQ thing but how well he can twist the truth, like I have pictures of a neat property and he brings out ones of it untidy, I had a ex landlord once arrive 2 hours early whilst I was doing a final clean after moving last of stuff out and take photos of the crumbs of dirt in corner then weeks later provide this as proof I didn't leave place spotless.

And one time I genuinely left some dust brushed in corner of a property despite it being cleaner than when I moved in and landlord still claimed for it, the place was spotless as can be apart from that with me using steam cleaner on laminiate and polishing wooden furniture even deep cleaning fridge freezer and getting rust off it and washing machine that were there when I moved in, irrelvant mostly but shows how I have been conned in past.
    There is no more advice I can give you, make the claim or don't.
  • Got a response back from LL stating this

The DPS have contacted me saying you are disputing the cleaning bill which was split 5 ways.

The common areas all needed a good clean, and your room had rubbish in it and needed cleaning also.

Can we just go ahead and finish this off?

----

Now I replied back mentioning (may be irrelevant) that when I moved in the wardrobes were filthy and damp, full of bugs/damp and rubbish from previous tenant, and how when I moved in I took the overflowing rubbish bins out from former tenants.

I also stated had he informed me of the cleaning issue I would of happily returned to clean the property but was not given the chance.

Guessing I have to take it further?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The important evidence is

1) the check in report. You say you don't remember it, but did you see one at the time and did you sign it? That is the starting point. The check out is compared against whatever the check-in says.

2) the check out report. Has the LL shown you this? How does it compare with check-in?

Next:
    3) do you have photos from when you moved out showing your room clean? Good - submit those to the arbitrators as evidence.

4) photos when you moved in? Showing it was not clean then? Even better.

5) write a clear statement of all the cleaning you did and submit it to the scheme arbitrators. The more evidence you submit to them, the more likely you will win.
  • I forgot that, I think I have it on back of tenancy agreement for check in but all I remember was about 3 lines listing what was in room, desk, chair, bed, might of listed wardrobe but it was built in anyway, everyone had same inventory despite some having shelves too which weren't listed, despite everyone having seperate contracts.

Photos I have somewhere, not sure totally about the wardrobe photos when I moved in.

I have a feeling the cupboard was just a dust magnet due to damp,. found creepy crawlies in it often and needed to dust pretty much every day, remember putting my hand in and it was soaked in dirt.

There was a cracked old electric socket inside too.
  • gazter
    gazter Posts: 931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I forgot that, I think I have it on back of tenancy agreement for check in but all I remember was about 3 lines listing what was in room, desk, chair, bed, might of listed wardrobe but it was built in anyway, everyone had same inventory despite some having shelves too which weren't listed, despite everyone having seperate contracts.

Photos I have somewhere, not sure totally about the wardrobe photos when I moved in.

I have a feeling the cupboard was just a dust magnet due to damp,. found creepy crawlies in it often and needed to dust pretty much every day, remember putting my hand in and it was soaked in dirt.

There was a cracked old electric socket inside too.

Is there rubbish in your room as he claims? You have photos of the room as you left it?
  • Without a checkin report the landlord is going to find this mighty difficult, to impossible.

I've been through this with a landlord who thought they could save money on inventories, and check-ins/check-outs. It was a bad idea. It is up to the landlord to prove what he/she is claiming. The tenancy deposit remains the property of the tenant otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure