Regular vs Electric Bike

Options

Comments

• burnsguitarman
    Options
    Cezzy wrote: »
    Thank you so much for all your comments which I have read with interest.

After reading up as much as I could I decided to have a trial on some and was extremely impressed. When I used my standard bike at the weekend on a old railway trail I really noticed the difference and it was back to getting off on the difficult bits. Think I will go for one ..... and my partner fancies one also !

We have Scott ebikes with Bosch motors, they are in a word Brilliant! Go for it, you won't regret it.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cezzy, The 2017 Cycle Show is on at the NEC Birmingham on 22-24 September.

They will have a test ride circuit specifically for e-bikes, so if you can get there, it is an ideal opportunity to have a very short test ride on a variety of e-bikes.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    Cezzy wrote: »
    Just looking at treating myself to a new bike. My partner and I love trail biking but I do struggle a bit on some of the uphill bits. As I looked around I also had a go on some electric bikes. I always thought they were really heavy and they were not. Also they look better now. Quite taken by them and it would certainly help me on the difficult bits ! Booked to take one out tomorrow on a proper trail to test.

Has anyone got one ? Any words of wisdom ?

Cezzy

Put in some training, then you will find it easier.
  • bbarroso
    bbarroso Posts: 103 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2017 at 9:15AM
    Options
    I own two, an electric and a regular one, simply because its easier and more cost effective to get both, including a decent non electric with all the bells and whistles that trying to get an electric one with half the features.

I tend to drive the non electric more, so that's where my money is. Converting is also an option, but I never quite liked having the electronics somewhere improvised. A true e-bike comes with the frame ready to accept those components by default.

The electric is used leisurely. I got one that I found a good deal (about 500), rather than one with all I ever wanted. because honestly If I'm going electric I dont care about many of the added features like weight and gears. I'm simply steering the thing while the motor does the work.

The 5 years immediately prior to this I had a used electric one that has served me well. It was foldable, but the weight was always an issue, I had issues with the rear brake built into the hub motor and the battery died, so I used it for a while as normal bicycle until I graduated.

Notice that at the time I lived in London, so it was pretty much a necessity due to the hassle of having a car and the expense of public transport there. Most other places a car would be a much better choice, or if you want to stay fit, a regular bicycle.

Word of experience: never underestimate how much a flat tire will render your electric bicycle useless. The back tire requires the motor wiring to be removed. Its generally easier to patch the tire there and then, but not always possible depending on the puncture (and they will get soft and prone to punctures, as they age, if you drive it everyday) and will set you some time as the glue dries. This is not trivial or something you'll want to be carrying around with a flat tire. With a regular one, all needed are some simple tools, a spare tube and some 15min time.

Words of wisdom...

Get an electric one if you cant use the car: large cities such as London, etc. Live with the fact you wont be able to leave it in many places you would with a regular bicycle, so plan to have something foldable that can be taken indoors, into a vehicle or public transport

If you live in a place where a car can be used - stick to that. Invest in a fuel efficient vehicle such as a diesel or a small engine petrol for city driving. A petrol scooter is easy to park and wont get stolen easily, so consider that too.

For all other purposes, stick with a good quality non electric bicycle.
    For off-road use, non electric should be best. If its hard, you should hike by foot. The battery wont last much there either.
  • House_Martin
    Options
    Put in some training, then you will find it easier.
    Excellent advice. I m 68 now and just completed a 35 mile bike ride yesterday in heavy rain at times and found it totally invigorating.
    Electric bikes are incredibly boring.Just sitting their imobile twisting a throttle to go at 12 mph is like watching paint dry. And its freezing cold now the weather is getting cooler.Spinning the non resistant pedals putting a bit of juice in the battery is nt enough proper exercise to warm you up.
    Watch yesterdays penultimate day on channel 24 catch up on the Tour of Spain ( Vuelta a Espana ) for the one of the worlds most brutal uphill finish in any bike race , described by Chris Froome as the hardest hes faced.
    Then a few little inclines will seem like nothing compared to that.
    Anyone who has not got a medical condition, and rides around on a hulking heavy e bike has given up on life and is a "snowflake " IMO..
    Just practice/train a bit more, every week you will improve your overall health, which will not happen sitting on some E-bike
  • RichardD1970
    Options
    No new ebikes can be operated by throttle alone (well not quite true, mine has a "walk assist" throttle which will take it to an unladen 4mph) , they are all assist, so you still have to peddle and put some effort in, just not as much.

As stated I use mine for my daily commute . I certainly haven't given up on life and find that attitude extremely patronising and quite frankly rude.

I regularly ride my ebike above the 15.5 mph assist limit (average speed is around 19 mph) only having it kick in on hills and for starting off.

I run, up to half marathon at the moment, but prefer not to get to work all hot and sweaty then having to do a physical manual job, before having to ride all the way home again after a hard shift.

My bike allows my commute to be relative easy and is just as quick as using my car or motor scooter.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    No new ebikes can be operated by throttle alone (well not quite true, mine has a "walk assist" throttle which will take it to an unladen 4mph) , they are all assist, so you still have to peddle and put some effort in, just not as much.

As stated I use mine for my daily commute . I certainly haven't given up on life and find that attitude extremely patronising and quite frankly rude.

I regularly ride my ebike above the 15.5 mph assist limit (average speed is around 19 mph) only having it kick in on hills and for starting off.

I run, up to half marathon at the moment, but prefer not to get to work all hot and sweaty then having to do a physical manual job, before having to ride all the way home again after a hard shift.

My bike allows my commute to be relative easy and is just as quick as using my car or motor scooter.

Unfortunately these myths about ebikes won't go away, I guess possibly it's from a lack of experience with the technology as like the post above, a lot of people seem to confuse them with electric mopeds requiring no work from the rider. Which simply isn't true, the rider still needs to pedal the bike but for the same amount of effort they can go further, faster and don't need to worry about hills or head winds.

I find the snobbery puzzling as well, I'd say I'm a pretty decent bike rider but I'm pleased to see people getting out and enjoy cycling on ebikes. It's strange that there's such criticism for ebike riders but not those with motor vehicles where there genuinely is no effort.

John
  • thescouselander
    Options
    I'd certainly consider an ebike. I currently ride to work on a conventional bike but when I arrive I have to take time to shower and get changed.

I expect with an ebike I could just ride to work in my work clothes and then I could get straight on with it after arriving. Sounds very convenient to me.
  • RichardD1970
    Options
    I'd certainly consider an ebike. I currently ride to work on a conventional bike but when I arrive I have to take time to shower and get changed.

I expect with an ebike I could just ride to work in my work clothes and then I could get straight on with it after arriving. Sounds very convenient to me.

To an extent, I can still work up a sweat on my ebike, if I want.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    Unfortunately these myths about ebikes won't go away, I guess possibly it's from a lack of experience with the technology as like the post above, a lot of people seem to confuse them with electric mopeds requiring no work from the rider. Which simply isn't true, the rider still needs to pedal the bike but for the same amount of effort they can go further, faster and don't need to worry about hills or head winds.

I find the snobbery puzzling as well, I'd say I'm a pretty decent bike rider but I'm pleased to see people getting out and enjoy cycling on ebikes. It's strange that there's such criticism for ebike riders but not those with motor vehicles where there genuinely is no effort.

John

I thought some bikes don't need you to contribute?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure