CHILDMINDING - What do Ofsted ask?

Any childminders out there? What sort of things do Ofsted look for/ask when they make there initial visit? Of course, the house is safe, we have the equal op books/toys etc. But how do they quiz you on these National standards and the like?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• nedden
    nedden Posts: 31 Forumite
    when you say "initial visit" I take it you mean that this is the visit where Ofsted will will then give you the ok to become registered.

This is the point that you will need to show your id and your completed Police enhancment form (they need to see this for anyone aged over 16 (or 18! I can't remember)

anyway, my experience is your inspector will be really nice and may make suggestions for you to improve your setting, listen to what she has to say and follow her advice, remember Ofsted want you to become a childminder, they are not trying to trick you or trip you up, they want you to offer a professional service that equals all other childminders, that is why they will make suggestions to you to help to improve your setting.

Your local Childrens Info service will have a person who could come out to your setting and have a look round and let you know anything obvious that you might have missed. also if you've just done the childminding course you should have been given suggestion then. Or, do you know a childminder? who would be willing to pop round and offer their experience/advice.
    or, are there any childminder only playgroups in your area (CIS or SURESTART can tell you) go along (even if you have no kids to take!) you'll find people chatty/friendly/helpful.

so, have your paperwork to hand and be ready to take advice - even the best childminders can miss obvious things, Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure