17 year old looking for insurance

I know that this has been talked about a lot... but im looking for recent answers as most answers to my questions are from 2009-2014. Basically, i turned 17 in march and passed my driving test in may in a 2 litre passat. After that i wanted to buy insurance for the car but it was showing more that £3000 WITH a black box:eek:. Since then i have been looking at different cars and bought a 1.3 diesel corsa 2007 because i was getting low quotes for corsas, £1700-£2000 with 10,000 miles a year, WITH a black box. After buying the car 2 days ago ive been trying to look for insurance but all that is showing is a policy for £2200 WITH a black box and its only 5,000 miles a year (i worked it out to be 13-14 miles a day) which is not enough for me as i had a moped before that and did 3,000 miles in a few months. What i need help with is what can i do to lower my insurance? I tried to buy insurance for my dad with me added (on his car so he would drive it more making it legal) however I got quotes of £16,000 upwards. The best insurance quote i managed to get since buying the corsa was £2,200 and thats with my dad added to the policy and a black box.

I noticed that if i added my mum that the premium increased instead of decreasing, eventhough she has had her driving license for 8 years and is over 40:eek:

Is there nothing i can do apart from paying outrageous amounts or not driving at all? My friend had someone find him insurance and he found it cheapest with Collingwood for £1400 and apparently they didnt put a black box on his car because he added his mum to the policy:mad:. Is this an actual thing? And is it legal?

I would prefer to pay even £3000 but only if it was WITHOUT a black box as i know its irritating. Is this possible anywhere?

Ohh and the £2,200 quote i got was with 'More Than Smartwheels'

Thanks in advance for all answers, they are all appreciated

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    High excess, adding an older driver, choosing the right car. I think you could of bought a cheaper to insure car but you have it now.

Other factors, occupation and post code.

Other than that, nothing you can do apart from getting older, driving safely and don't have an accident or break the law and get caught.

Your mate's parents ares probably fronting him or using a spare no claims bonus.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 June 2019 at 9:56AM
    I have just insured a 17y old new driver with Smart Wheels for £1100 in a new Citroen C1, also 5000 miles. I thought that was pretty good. It was about £100 for each extra 1000 miles but you can also buy more miles mid term, although more expensive.

His dad and I are both named drivers and that brings it down for us . It was the same for my other son, then 18, last year. Smart Wheels best by far for both boys , and his premium fell by nearly 60% for his second year (for some comfort hopefully)

Last year I spent a very long time looking and the precise type and age of car makes a huge difference, even very similar small engined things varied a lot. New cars did better than old ones.

Not much help if you've already committed to the car but you can run other cars through to see if this is the main variable. Is it too late to change your car - perhaps with the same seller for suitable reward.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,804 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 June 2019 at 9:51AM
    Also, they hike the price if they know you're desperate and need the insurance today. I've been stung myself when buying a car at auction and needed to drive it home. Try putting in dates in 2/3 weeks time.

We couldn't find anything without a black box for our son last year - I think some kids are 'lucky' if they find something without (I had no complaints about his driving being monitored!), but yes, there's possibility that the parents are fronting. I don't see the point, personally, you'll still get stung the first year you take out your own policy.

I tried it with both parents and just one as named drivers, and I put in his part time job as well. They all helped. You could try a grandparent if mum doesn't work (I'm surprised though, does she have points on her license?)

And use ALL the price comparison websites. I'm still a bit surprised at your 'cheap' quote as ours was just under £2,000 for 8,000 miles (black box) on a 1.6 Mini Cooper D Paceman! Perhaps you are in a more expensive area. This year is down to £1,200 without one. Could have got under £1,000 with one, but we had to top up miles last year, so it's a risk .
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Matt0503
    Matt0503 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Is the smartwheels insurance any good? I dont mind being monitored or paying more if i do something wrong like brake too hard. The thing is that i dont want to be driving for 8 months on the policy and then all of a sudden having my insurance being cancelled, because that would lose me my 1 year no claims bonus. I do live in am area where cars and motorbikes get stolen alot, infact my moped was stolen a few months ago and we have been robbed 2 other times in the past half a year. Its not too late for me to change my car but if was to pay £1600 for a Yaris and £1900 for a corsa then i would much rather drive the corsa
  • foxy-stoat
    Matt0503 wrote: »
    infact my moped was stolen a few months ago and we have been robbed 2 other times in the past half a year. Its not too late for me to change my car but if was to pay £1600 for a Yaris and £1900 for a corsa then i would much rather drive the corsa

Maybe one of the reasons why your insurance is higher, as you have had a moped stolen....I assume you declared that on the quote?

You need to punch in less than 1000cc cars to see if that alters the quote.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    1lt petrol corsa/i10 would have been a better bet.

Have you tried admiral.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Smart Wheels has been OK for us so far but not really sure how you judge that.

As the parent I like the Black Box as incentive to drive cautiously whilst building driving experience and maturity. The Smart Wheels one doesn't have a curfew which we didn't want. Eldest son did really well in his first year, got the gift card rewards and a massive reduction for Y2. In a straw poll of his 6th form mates last year, nearly all ended up with Smart Wheels so must have something going for it.

Not sure about mid term cancellation, think you'd have to do something really bad that would affect other insurance. Its fairly obvious how you need to drive to keep a good score and you can track it and improve if you have to.

Really, I suspect you need a 1 litre or less car, especially if your postcode and claims history are quite adverse.
  • Matt0503
    Matt0503 Posts: 5 Forumite
    I did call the police and they have recovered it however i couldnt make a claim on my insurance as it was third party only

I dont really want a car under 1.2 litres as i would prefer to get another 125cc bike if that was the case and i did try admiral, for the passat it was over their maximum premium (£30,000) so they couldnt even give me insurance. And for the corsa its £10,500

Regarding a black box policy i dont want to be restricted for example not been able to go 31mph instead of 30 and i dont want to get a low score because i would occasionally drive after 11PM, but i dont think smartwheels is that bad, as i said i would rather pay £3,000 without a black box than £2,000 with a black box. But the only low quote i got without a black box was £5,500 so i dont think i have much of a choice than to pay the £2,200 for smartwheels insurance

The only thing i hate is that if i select 10,000 miles that the insurance jumps to £3,000
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You don't want to be restricted to obeying the law?
    You don't want a suitable car for someone with your experience to build up some no claims?

Good luck with your insurance!
  • foxy-stoat
    If it has gone on record the your bike was stolen then you have had a "loss" whether you were insured or not.

Up to you if you answer the questions with economical truth or not but I would think very carefully about answering the questions on the comparison sites or if asked directly as you could be in for a world of great pain if the worse happens and the insurers look at all the databases at their disposal should you ever need to make a claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure