PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 10th June 2019

Jazee
Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 13 June 2019 at 7:49PM in Old style MoneySaving
icon1.gifWeekly Flylady Thread 10th June 2019
Welcome to the Weekly Flylady Thread

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us.

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
WUDUPA ~ Washed up, dried up, put away
WUALTD ~ Washed up and left to dry
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

Some of our abbreviations: DH- dear husband, OH- other half, KH/CF- affectionate term for ex husband or partner DS/DD- dear son/daughter, DGC- dear grandchild, WM- washing machine, DW- dishwasher, LR/DR- living/dining room, RoD- room of doom, Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al- supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Open windows, loud music and hearty singing is an absolute must for every days activities.. it is good for the lungs!

Marvellous Monday ~ Living Room, Hall and Stairs
Level One …
Open the windows and turn on some music!
Wipe and water the plants
Clean all mirrors and flat horizontal surfaces
Level Two…
Remove clutter making sure stairs especially are safe
Clean TV, any fluffy electricals and defluff behind the radiators!
Wipe paintwork esp skirting boards and any grubby marks off walls etc
Level Three …
Wipe all door handles and light switches
Vacuum under any furniture you can.. please don't injure yourselves!
Clean any other glass like cabinets, pictures etc
Wash front door inside and out

Shake out all door mats
Extras
  • Clear a hotspot or 3! If neccesary, just put in a bag/box to sort out in a HHC
  • Clean light shades/fittings and lamps
  • Wash a pair of curtains, or some nets or a throw from a chair
  • Wash pet beds
  • If you want to get ahead for tomorrow, change some bedding.
[FONT=&quot]Terrific Tuesday ~ Master Bedroom & Landing [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Level One …
Open the window and air the room
Strip off smelly bedding and sling it in the wash, replace well before bedtime!
Dust all those flat & mirrored surfaces
Level Two …
Wipe all door handles & switches
Sort your underwear drawer, get rid of anything past it's best
Vacuum the carpets
Level Three …
Make sure those smoke alarms are working!!! (do not set fire to anything.. just press the button!!)
While you've got the hoover out, run it over the rest of the house (stuff in the way? -put in in your hotspot box/bag to sort later)
Sort out your jewellery, find some different earrings or similar to wear
Remove some cobwebs and wipe over the light shades

Extras[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Wash any curtains that need doing[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]HHI[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Get ahead for tomorrow - remove anything from the kitchen that shouldn't be there
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]S&S the bathrooms
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Take 15 mins to do something just for you - read a book, knitting, paint your nails, whatever brings a smile to your face[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Wonderful Wednesday - Kitchen Kapers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Level One
Open the blinds/curtains and let in the light.
Clear and wipe the worksurfaces
Sweep & mop the floor
Level Two
Wipe the little appliances and put them back in their homes
Wipe over the cupboards and large appliances
Clean kickboards - in a bad mood, kick them and see if they do their job!
Clean out microwave – a little lemon in a bowl of water heated up for 5 mins makes it a a lot easier to clean.
Level Three
Shine the grotty windows
Wipe all switches and door handles[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Drag everything out of the plastic tub cupboard.. wipe it out and put back the bits you are keeping that actually have lids.
Extras
[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Clean out your hoover.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Clean the radiator including behind it
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Start sorting anything you've accumulated from hotspots this week, put where it belongs or get rid
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Deweb
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Clean tiles including grouting
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thrilling Thursday- Bathroom and Study/Pc Area[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Level One …[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Clean & wash floors in these rooms
Polish mirrors
Clean hair brushes and make up brushes
Level Two …
Clean baths, toilets, don't forget the outside and under the rim and sinks.. shine the taps with a toothbrush!!!!
Dust PC and clear any clutter from desk and wipe off those cup rings!!
Do some shredding.
Wipe keyboard, house phone, sockets, switches and mouse etc
Level Three …
Wipe down tiles in bathroom.
Empty and clean out all the upstairs bins!
Clean shower screen/curtain if you have one/if required
Tidy the airing cupboard, get rid of anything past its best or just not used. The local dog rescue will be grateful
HHG.. Weeds are really easy to pull out now that it's rained so much

Extras…[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Top up the handwash dispensers
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Check stocks of toilet roll and essential toiletries
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sort the medicine cabinet
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Wash your bathroom mats, nets, clean blind/curtains etc whatever needs cleaning.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]HHI... a bit more gone![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Fantastic Friday - a bit of everything[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Get out the feather duster and just go round dewebbing where you can and dusting high up places.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Grab a microfibre cloth and go round wiping all flat surfaces[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]S&S kitchen[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]S&S bathroom[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Get the ironing out of the way before the weekend[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Whizz the hoover round[/FONT]
Spend less now, work less later.

Comments

• I'm in! Thanks Jazee xx
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for last week Natty - and thanks Jazee, for stepping up - much appreciated.
    I may well pop in through the week.
    Hope you all have a good week x
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • BadCat18
    BadCat18 Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I’m in for the new week, thanks for the thread!

Working from home tomorrow, have some stuff to take to charity shop already in the car and a couple of errands to run, going to start paid stuff early so that I can take a break at around 9am to do those jobs.

See you all tomorrow x
  • Narc0lepsy
    Narc0lepsy Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thanks for the list Jazee
    I had a busy week of assessments last week plus two days/eves out with friends, so that means lots of report writing this week.
    Sat in church today and realised I'd left my silver bangle near the xray machine at the Queen's Gallery, where we went yesterday:( I rang them today - they really do answer the phone "Buckingham Palace " and luckily it has been found!
    Lots of greenhouse plant tetris this afternoon.
    Went to clean MIL's flat as in theory she may be home tomorrow.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
  • dancemum
    dancemum Posts: 2,561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I will try to be in this week x

Thank you for the thread x
  • froddington
    froddington Posts: 6,697 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'm in - thanks Jazee :A WFH tomorrow so will try to get some of the list done in between writing reports!

Hope everyone is ok xx

Marvellous Monday ~ Living Room, Hall and Stairs

Level One …

Open the windows and turn on some music!
    Clean all flat horizontal surfaces

Level Two…
    Remove clutter making sure stairs especially are safe
    Clean TV, any fluffy electricals and defluff behind the radiators!

Level Three …
    Wipe all door handles and light switches
    Vacuum
    Wash front door inside and out
    Shake out door mat

Extras
    Clear a hotspot or 3! If neccesary, just put in a bag/box to sort out in a HHC
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,995 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 June 2019 at 4:33PM
    ty for fred...

I'm... going to do a listy fing later ..

Tax credits renewal
    College deets for CB
    UC application for Boog.. just to cause as much anxiety as possible of course..

Laundry catch up
    Bin emptying.. blue bins this week!! All 4 are overflowing and started on the black ones.. 3 brown ones need to be out too. I did the pruning so it is BRUTAL lol.. Front hedge is about 1/4 chopped but rain stopped play about 4 days ago and OH isn't off until Thursday!
    DW catch up..

Kitchen S&S
    Ebay sale to post.

fathers day gifts to buy.. and it's his birthday next month.. this wedding anniversary wasn't well thought out.. May WA, June fathers day, July his birthday.. AND.. he never got me a wedding anniversary gift.. I might not be very happy about that.. I shall save it in the bank of disdemeanors!

Fill 3 binbags of stuff to leave the house.
    Order Moos prom shoes.. size 4.. £35.. I think that is her done then.. oh.. I need to get her a bracelet.. I got the others one so its only fair. Etsy here I come!

I think that is this week covered!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Morning all, quick one from me. Fridge freezer had packed in, not the best way to start a week, DH will sort a replacement today. Second hand of course, no spare money for new.

DH in charge of domestics today, I'm working until 4pm. Hungry tummy this morning but the yoghurt was too warm in the fridge to even contemplate!

Have lovely days all xx
  • Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thank you Natty for last week and for the new thread, Jazee. I’m in, and dusting off my singing voice for the week.
    Paid stuff today but I’ll figure out a plan later. HHI done, need to retrieve some sort of dinner from the freezer then I’m off. Last week of GCSEs here so roll on Friday.
    Have a lovely day all.
  • Mademoiselle
    Mademoiselle Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning all, I'll try and be in this week too. Thanks for keeping me motivated even if I don't get much done, it's more than I would have done.

It's bank holiday here today (Whit Monday) but OH is working although I'm at home with both DDs. the shops are open so we will pop out and get a few things including rubber cat glove to try and limit the cat fur problem in the house and stop fluffy cat being quited so matted.

HB I am in awe of you sorting photos, like you we have loads, loose in a big plastic crate under the stairs, and then another piece of furniture we got when MIL died (2001) that is completely full, not to mention the albums and what's on the computer. For the moment they are out of sight out of mind.

OH sorted most of his clothes out yesterday and those never worn dispatched to bin or charity as appropiate. It has motivated me to do some of mine, but I think I'll work a shelf or drawer at a time. Feeling fat at the moment so that makes it more difficult but slinky is back on and nearly a kilo has gone in the last week so hopefully on the right track.

Will join you all in the living room today as although it's not too untidy it is very dirty and I know DD1 wants to try some sewing. Hopefully DD2 will help clean the windows .

Right off to shower and get the WM going
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport