Santas challenge 2017

Comments

• Yes, Anglea I'd change the amount of food too! We overdid it on food and ended up with loads left. Cheese that can be frozen is, along with everything else. I always say I won't overbuy and always do. There's chocolate everywhere and I'm determined to try to be good. Need to shift some weight. Still got some baby weight to go and that's 4 1/2 months ago now. I must have gained another stone from Christmas junk. The dates are all good so it'll last and be an occasional treat rather than a throw it all down my face every day thing. So many bottles of drinks too. I know they'll last forever.
    I got a load of chutneys and drinks in the whittards sale that will last til next year and beyond because of the dates. So can at least put those away. Saves buying them again next year and using them for the sake of it.
    Book a week challenge: 11/52. Competitions won in 2021: 12
  • Anglea
    Anglea Posts: 7,204
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I got 2 packs of Christmas crackers 50p each pack (inside are mini wordsearch, suduko, notebooks) in Poundland - red/white fair isle type pattern on box.

For those of you wanting packs of freezer/food bags - Superdrug was selling them for 10p per pack. I got 2 and queried why so cheap - discontinued line was the answer. I froze a whole large loaf I bought today (also reduced) and the bags were handy for that - I put 3 slices into each. It was the ones with green string lines across the tops you press into the plastic second sheet.
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Anglea wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

You were up late mum2one when I spotted the times between the post on the 2016 thread from when you planned on adding the new thread to the time it was up.

How was your hand during Christmas as you hurt it some time before?

As you all mentioned stockings, I ended up buying a knitted fair isle one to put all my friend's gifts inside and strangely enough she bought my son a chocolate teddy, with a fair isle jumper nearly the same pattern, you should have seen the mess I got into trying to wrap the stocking with the gifts inside!! Originally I wasn't going to do it but I thought I'd drop it as the stocking was so heavy so decided on wrapping it - never again lol

Apart from that, everything went to plan, my friend stayed for 9 days and only went home today - it was like a holiday for the both of us away from the norm, even though she only lives up the road!

Now it's back to the usual routine.

Do you have anything you would would change for next year? In my case, less potatoes and less cheese can be bought.

I laughed CCLady about your packs of Christmas cards, it reminded me of mum2one and the hundreds in the loft.

Thank you, touch wood back to normal, managed to get back to knitting over Xmas.

Those infamous Christmas cards... we finally finished them last Xmas.... being good now and only buying a few xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Anglea wrote: »
    I got 2 packs of Christmas crackers 50p each pack (inside are mini wordsearch, suduko, notebooks) in Poundland - red/white fair isle type pattern on box.

For those of you wanting packs of freezer/food bags - Superdrug was selling them for 10p per pack. I got 2 and queried why so cheap - discontinued line was the answer. I froze a whole large loaf I bought today (also reduced) and the bags were handy for that - I put 3 slices into each. It was the ones with green string lines across the tops you press into the plastic second sheet.

Sounds like some good bargains.

I popped to our £1world they had reduced the Xmas lines to 25p, got 2 drinking games, some of the glasses with screw top and straw and a few decs for the tree.

Great plan is hold out for boots 70% sale I'm guessing it's either 11th or 18th Jan, have to sit mum in the corner and do about 6 runs to the car,....xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • foxyloxy11
    foxyloxy11 Posts: 344
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Would love to join your thread ...at last someone I can talk xmas to!!
    I have been super organised and have bought 18 out of 28 pressies for next year, plus the odd bday gift too. I got a bargain in m and s on wrapping paper. 15m rolls for £3 in the sale instead of £7.50, lovely quality stuff . Couldn't find any crackers anywhere though.
    Really must stop spending now though. MOT due and I have got a bit carried away. HELP ME!!!!
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000- End of Baby Step 3 (A work in progress)
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    quick tip from me

I keep a list of present 'ideas'. If someone mentions something they like, or I see something that I think will make a good gift, I jot it down and then will hunt for it at a bargain price.
  • chanie
    Forumite
    foxyloxy11 wrote: »
    I have been super organised and have bought 18 out of 28 pressies for next year

That's amazing!!

I'm wary of buying presents in advance now. I'm pretty sure I checked SILs Xmas present when I bought it, but when I gave it to her, it wasn't working. I'm going to take it to the shop, but I don't have the receipt......
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    chanie wrote: »
    That's amazing!!

I'm wary of buying presents in advance now. I'm pretty sure I checked SILs Xmas present when I bought it, but when I gave it to her, it wasn't working. I'm going to take it to the shop, but I don't have the receipt......

Good luck.

I'm also going to be double checking dates on things for this coming year, because I bought someone a bottle of Baileys when it was on offer in October 2016, but didn't check the date as just presumed it would have a fairly long best before / use by date. She called me after Christmas to tell me that the bottle had a 2015 expiry date :eek:
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • foxyloxy11
    foxyloxy11 Posts: 344
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 5 January 2017 at 5:05PM
    I share your liking of the list idea Chanie. I have a book where I log the presents I have bought and write the presents next to the persons name.

Most of my presents have come from the body shop and monsoon/accessorize so I'm lucky there are no dates and they will suit more than one person. Hopefully this will avoid some of the pitfalls you've faced, but I will look out for things you've mentioned.

Hope the start of the new year has been great for everyone :)

Oh and I definitely will buy less cheese next year!!!!
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000- End of Baby Step 3 (A work in progress)
  • chanie
    Forumite
    foxy your signature made me smile - I don't Thu k I've ever inspired anyone. Your savings so far are amazing. Keep up the good work.

I too love The Body Shop and Accessorize, such great bargains to be found in both stores.

spring I feel your pain - I'd be majority annoyed if I bought Bailey's that was off.

LESSON FOR ALL - when you buy anything in advance, check the product before you put it away and check expiry dates in shops.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure