Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 4th Feb 19, 3:29 PM
    • 1,161Posts
    • 523Thanks
    wavelets
    Symbio Energy feedback
    • 4th Feb 19, 3:29 PM
    Symbio Energy feedback 4th Feb 19 at 3:29 PM
    Anyone have any feedback on Symbio Energy?

They seem to be a new supplier; electric only at this time.
    I think they launched 01-Dec-2018.

They are suddenly appearing on a comparison site with quite a competitive price, at least for the Eastern region. (I've not checked other supply regions yet)

Here is their website

https://symbioenergy.co.uk/

Oddly, there is no way to get a quote or switch via their website ; it says you have to call or email them (see their FAQ page, found under Support)

They are currently 100% owned by Dispensary Holdings Limited
    Last edited by wavelets; 04-02-2019 at 6:00 PM.
Page 24
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 11th Oct 19, 2:18 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    Talldave
    I've just received my second bill from Symbio and I have to admit I've never seen such a convoluted and over-complicated bill in my life.

First problem - they're delinquent with 3 errors in one sentence:

"Cosumption calclulation based on customer submited reads"

so sloppy and unprofessional, but at least they've used the readings I supplied.

Then they have a section where they do their estimating gymnastics:

"Cosumption Calclulation Based Upon Estimated Billed Reads Til Date"

Second problem, or issue, if not a problem - they then proceed to use their own estimate for the 5 Oct, despite having my actual reading for that date 5 lines above. This means that they're keeping their own set of readings in some estimated parallel universe which they're not correcting with readings from my real universe. What's the point of this, other than creating an estimation algorithm that's guaranteed to never self-correct?

On the next page, there's a section called "Electricity used", which is not actually anything to do with Electricity used, it's a guess of what I might use in the 27 days after my last reading. A section in which "Previous Reading" uses one of my customer readings, but flags it as "Type E", despite having used the exact same reading as "Type C" on the previous page.

I haven't yet got my head around their "Variance Consumption" figures - I'm beginning to think the less readings I give them (per month) the simpler the bill will become. Maybe I need to buy a new Calclulator?!

On a positive note, I'm paying 11.4p/kWhr, so maybe that makes up for the unintelligible bill.
    • BoxerfanUK
    • By BoxerfanUK 11th Oct 19, 2:55 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    BoxerfanUK
    I have to agree Talldave. My first bill received today and was thinking exactly the same, what a convoluted way to go about things!

I switched to them on 20th August and submitted my first reading on 30/9. All figures submitted by me are correct so no probs there, although they 'estimated' my bill for the period 30/9 to 1/10

Their billing cycle runs from 1st of each month to 2nd of following month so next time I'll submit on the 1st.

As you say though, excellent tariff rate so I will just go with their peculiar billing system. No regrets so far.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 11th Oct 19, 3:28 PM
    • 4,648 Posts
    • 2,991 Thanks
    matelodave
    I too am slightly confused - does anyone know if they just keep taking the fixed DD or will it be a random figure every month based on their convoluted guess calculations.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 11th Oct 19, 4:25 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    Talldave
    I too am slightly confused - does anyone know if they just keep taking the fixed DD or will it be a random figure every month based on their convoluted guess calculations.
    Originally posted by matelodave
    As far as I can tell it varies each month based on what's going on in their parallel universe and what's going on in yours.

They seem to use estimates for the month ahead from their parallel universe, then subtract a variance figure calculated from the previous month's actual usage and their estimates.

But the main problem I can see is that they're working off their own estimated figures and are not correcting those with the actual readings. So as time goes on, surely the deviation between estimation and reality will grow?

Add in all the spelling errors and the fact that my own reading is apparently both a "C" customer reading and an "E" estimate, and it's a bit of a mess.
    • griffb
    • By griffb 11th Oct 19, 4:25 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    griffb
    Originally posted by matelodave
    The d/d/ should be for the estimated usage for the coming month +/- an adjustment for over/under usage up to the billing date.

I've just got my 3rd bill. They have correctly used my actual reading on 1st October to calculate the under-usage for September, and as the opening figure for the October usage estimate, which is an exact pro-rata 31/365 of the annual estimate I provided when signing up.

Use of English apart, all is well so far.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 11th Oct 19, 5:17 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I have no problem with their bills though it is a strange way of doing it. Symbio accept readings up to 5th of the month for your bills. What they do is estimate your usage for the month according to the usage you supplied when you signed up

Then the next month any overbill is returned to you ie the variance calculation. What they do is work out how much you were overbilled by on your previous bill as a result of them using estimated readings. To do this they use your actual readings. The difference between the estimate and actual reading is called a variance figure

They deduct this figure from your actual bill

It's a weird way of doing it but it works. Your never in credit or debit with them. Works for me
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Oct 19, 6:01 PM
    • 21,373 Posts
    • 15,631 Thanks
    molerat
    It certainly makes your brain ache trying to figure it out. Just looked at my daughter's, the agreed DD rate was 84.31 and they are going to take 71.26. The other thing is that the unit rates and standing charges are lower than signed up for, about 25p less on the actual usage calculated on my spreadsheet.

I have not had a bill but something seems to have gone wrong, I cannot log into my account - wrong e-mail or password - and cannot set up a new account - account and postcode do not match ! Waiting for a reply to my e-mail sent Wednesday.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • griffb
    • By griffb 11th Oct 19, 6:15 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    griffb
    It certainly makes your brain ache trying to figure it out. Just looked at my daughter's, the agreed DD rate was 84.31 and they are going to take 71.26. The other thing is that the unit rates and standing charges are lower than signed up for, about 25p less on the actual usage calculated on my spreadsheet.
    Originally posted by molerat

I am also paying a very slightly lower rate than on my confirmation letter. Keeping quiet about that.

My usage has so far been very close to my original estimate, so the actual d/d only varies by the odd couple of
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 11th Oct 19, 7:12 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    Talldave
    I have no problem with their bills though it is a strange way of doing it. Symbio accept readings up to 5th of the month for your bills. What they do is estimate your usage for the month according to the usage you supplied when you signed up

Then the next month any overbill is returned to you ie the variance calculation. What they do is work out how much you were overbilled by on your previous bill as a result of them using estimated readings. To do this they use your actual readings. The difference between the estimate and actual reading is called a variance figure

They deduct this figure from your actual bill

It's a weird way of doing it but it works. Your never in credit or debit with them. Works for me
    Originally posted by Tafrock
    I accept that it works, but for their estimates of the month ahead, why don't they use my 5th Oct figure, instead of an imaginary estimate that's wrong?

And don't have a heading of "Electricity used" (past tense) to describe an estimate for the coming month.

They happily used my 5th Oct reading for working out what I actually used, but are then pretending that that reading doesn't exist when making up their imaginary estimates of the month ahead. That's the bit that's bonkers to me.
    • griffb
    • By griffb 11th Oct 19, 7:26 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    griffb
    They happily used my 5th Oct reading for working out what I actually used, but are then pretending that that reading doesn't exist when making up their imaginary estimates of the month ahead. That's the bit that's bonkers to me.
    Originally posted by Talldave

It is strange, because for mine they did use the same reading for both. Admittedly it was labelled "E" for the October usage calculation.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th Oct 19, 9:43 AM
    • 21,373 Posts
    • 15,631 Thanks
    molerat
    I have not had a bill but something seems to have gone wrong, I cannot log into my account - wrong e-mail or password - and cannot set up a new account - account and postcode do not match ! Waiting for a reply to my e-mail sent Wednesday.
    Originally posted by molerat
    Well, it gets worse. This morning I received a bill from Utilita covering 18-30 Sep. I switched from Eversmart on 11th Sept. Phoned Symbio and gave them my customer number and they asked some questions such as have I been with them a while - seemed a bit strange - but I said you have billed me and taken a direct debit once already. Said they would speak to billing and get back to me and gave me my landline number as contact - I phoned them on my mobile - so they do have a record of me. So something has gone drastically wrong somewhere and I feel a whole lot of pain coming.

Edit : Symbio got back to me within an hour. I was with them from 11th - 18th Sept when Utilita took my account from them . They do not send out sorry you are leaving mails. I have now got to sort out an erroneous transfer.

edit 2 : Got through to Utilita after 25minutes on hold and started the complaint. They agree they took the account from Symbio, seems I may not the only one, and they will start the transfer back.
    Last edited by molerat; 12-10-2019 at 1:16 PM.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 12th Oct 19, 11:23 AM
    • 3,902 Posts
    • 2,051 Thanks
    MABLE
    Received my bill on the 11th October and again everything is in line with my expectations.
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 12th Oct 19, 12:35 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    Talldave
    Although I probably can't confirm until my third bill arrives, I think Symbio's algorithm has done them out of some cash.

The first bill estimate was 452kWh. Actual usage was 449kWh. But because of their surreal mathematical estimation gymnastics trying to compensate for the fact that the billing period ran another 4 days into the month, they've then credited for 57kWh. They've then estimated 383kWh for the remainder of the billing period.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 12th Oct 19, 12:53 PM
    • 4,648 Posts
    • 2,991 Thanks
    matelodave
    I really cant see the point of all these mathematical gymnastics.

It seems unreasonably complex for a simple energy bill.

Those who cant understand an energy bill in the first place, r cant work out the simple sums of a normal direct debit or just dont bother to send in readings are going to be totally stuffed.

If they think they've signed up for a fixed monthly DD and then find all sorts of random amounts being taken then heaven help them, especially if they are based on guesses by Symbio or the verification organisation.

I guess we can look forward to a very long and entertaining thread
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • polysia
    • By polysia 12th Oct 19, 3:32 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    polysia
    Price Guarantee
    Anyone taken advantage of Symbio's price guarantee yet?

Price Guarantee

Find a lower equivalent tariff within 14 days and we will match the difference and give you a 10 Amazon voucher for your troubles.

They are not coming up as the cheapest for me on the MSE Cheap Energy Club, but I'm not too keen to go with those that are cheaper not least because of the MSE warnings attached to those others, so was thinking of going with Symbio, in anticipation of then taking advantage of the above guarantee.

Trouble is, I cannot see the T&Cs for this guarantee; the link to 'find out more' simply takes me to their quote page.
    • jobdone1
    • By jobdone1 12th Oct 19, 5:31 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 540 Thanks
    jobdone1
    Started a switch from bulb on the 26th September 2019, transfer complete 11 October readings provide all smooth to date no issues.
    Be aware some emails do go to your junk email folder some don't. My first bill went to junk folder but all good
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,129Posts Today

7,592Users online

Martin's Twitter