Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • r1dgeback
    • By r1dgeback 13th Jun 19, 11:06 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    r1dgeback
    Funeral Cost
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:06 AM
    Funeral Cost 13th Jun 19 at 11:06 AM
    Hello

My Mother is in a care home funding it herself for a period of time until her savings has been reduced to 23k, when her savings reach this level the Social Service will then pay for her care.

The question I'm asking is can Mother transfer the cost of her Funeral circa 4k into a seperate Bank a/c so this doesn't become part of her savings

Regards
Page 1
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 13th Jun 19, 11:16 AM
    • 31,544 Posts
    • 80,884 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:16 AM
    • 13th Jun 19, 11:16 AM
    Hello

My Mother is in a care home funding it herself for a period of time until her savings has been reduced to 23k, when her savings reach this level the Social Service will then pay for her care.

The question I'm asking is can Mother transfer the cost of her Funeral circa 4k into a seperate Bank a/c so this doesn't become part of her savings

Regards
    Originally posted by r1dgeback
    It would still be considered savings.

It used to be that you could buy a funeral plan without it being considered deprivation of capital - check that and get some quotes from local funeral directors as well as some national schemes.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 13th Jun 19, 5:46 PM
    • 6,999 Posts
    • 8,215 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:46 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:46 PM
    Purchasing a pre paid funeral plan is one of the few big spends you can do that will not be treated as DOA. Shifting the money into a separate account will not reduce the savings at all.

This must be her decision, it is not the sort of thing someone acting as a POA has the authority to do.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th Jun 19, 5:48 PM
    • 19,851 Posts
    • 50,412 Thanks
    elsien
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:48 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:48 PM
    She'd still be left with the 23K to cover funeral costs when needed.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 13th Jun 19, 5:53 PM
    • 31,544 Posts
    • 80,884 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:53 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 5:53 PM
    Originally posted by r1dgeback
    Between 14,250 and 23,250 the local council will fund some of her care - she will still have to pay the rest.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 13th Jun 19, 6:30 PM
    • 2,896 Posts
    • 2,621 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 13th Jun 19, 6:30 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 6:30 PM
    If your mother wants to be buried, you also need to consider the cost of grave.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
    • Larac
    • By Larac 14th Jun 19, 8:20 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    Larac
    • 14th Jun 19, 8:20 PM
    • 14th Jun 19, 8:20 PM
    Purchasing a pre paid funeral plan is one of the few big spends you can do that will not be treated as DOA. Shifting the money into a separate account will not reduce the savings at all.

This must be her decision, it is not the sort of thing someone acting as a POA has the authority to do.
    Originally posted by Keep pedalling
    My late Mum was in a CH and had lost capacity - we did have POA and took out a funeral plan with the CO-OP. My Mum was very ill at the time and the CH wanted to make sure arrangements were in place. All the CO-OP needed was a copy of the finance PA.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,732Posts Today

8,072Users online

Martin's Twitter