Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 14th Jun 19, 4:02 AM
    • 13,047Posts
    • 48,562Thanks
    Nelski
    Friday OS Daily 14th June
    • 14th Jun 19, 4:02 AM
    Friday OS Daily 14th June 14th Jun 19 at 4:02 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Yo chums

Me again. As the saying goes TGI Friday or in my case TFI Friday (insert your favourite word ) Today its some remote part of Manchester which mens an unpleasant trip to the centre then goodness know how long to find it. But and its a big but is that its my all time favourite course of sales skills I genuinely love my job when its not stressing me out yesterday was a great day horrible training room in a factory but the group were so engaged and we somehow managed to laugh our way through a long day and it flew.

I didnt go to see mum as this week has fair worn me out and after being surrounded by like minded positive people I just could not do it. I did wave as I passed her house but I fear some mindless stuff would have been her focus at that point slightly guilty but only slightly. She actually phoned me last night first time for as long as I can remember for that predicted call after mulling over what she was going to do next week she of course batted it straight back to me and said I needed to work it out... so I did but the answer is simple ...online which you would think I had suggested she walks as she now refuses online due to 6 bananas. Stuck by my guns out of necessity so its up to her now to beg a lift from a neighbour. Classic comments were....just dont book Tuesdays for work you are so mean...and you need to be here...oh and I'll do it as as a one off! Roll on next full week of work now Anyway rant totally over as she now just wears me out.

Had a really lovely long girlie chat with my bestie to cheer me up and she did. One week after a very major op. she is doing so well and was talking about getting back to herself and us heading off for a weekend soon.....cant wait

So today its the course then a conference call about next week then back home to run my volunteer session tonight so packed day but all good

AOD was thinking about you lots yesterday
    Speky Thank you you made me grin fro ear to ear. Have a safe trip to the dentist today

Have a fab friday all
    Last edited by Nelski; 14-06-2019 at 4:57 AM.
Page 1
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 14th Jun 19, 5:24 AM
    • 3,531 Posts
    • 49,166 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 14th Jun 19, 5:24 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 5:24 AM
    Morning everyone

Nelski - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one, those who are poorly and those who are looking after a poorly person x

Dull, dreich and raining again - it did ease off for a while last night but has started again sometime during the night, temperature not as cold though. Lots of laying water.

DH and DS1 getting ready for work, I'm showered, dressed and enjoying my first cuppa and porridge. DS2 settled and ok.

Dinner last night was chicken in sauce with savoury rice. Tonight will be breaded chicken, chips and beans for the menfolk, I'll probably have mushroom omelette and salad or a veg stir fry.

I'll be heading to the SM first thing to get that done, then home to unpack the shopping. Ironing then needs to be done too. I did get done what I needed yesterday so today can be a slower day.

I'm working tomorrow so will have an easy afternoon once I've got the jobs needed done.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 14th Jun 19, 5:33 AM
    • 4,660 Posts
    • 37,305 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 14th Jun 19, 5:33 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 5:33 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NELSKI. Miserable and wet here too, don't you get sick of this weather! A lady in the sm yesterday told me summer was coming back next week - well I'll believe that when it happens!

Flying visit here. Comp was doing updates etc earlier and I couldn't get in. The 3 girlies will be to waken up shortly and get organised for school. DD's bf coming over to run them all there in a bit, bless him.

Then the pleasure of the Friday Tidy and clean around. I hate Fridays.

May pop back later, meanwhile ((HUGS)) for all in need/want of them. Thinking of AOD. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • redruby
    • By redruby 14th Jun 19, 6:08 AM
    • 7,170 Posts
    • 100,440 Thanks
    redruby
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:08 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:08 AM
    Morning all

Wet and cold here again sitting here under a blanket again we have said we will light the fire tonight if its still cold, I cant bear sitting here of an evening being cold !

Ive got a sea bass out of the freezer for tonight's dinner I will stuff it with garlic and chilli prawns and have it with new pots and peas should be very tasty.

My Friday tidier comes today so it will be nice and clean when I get in tonight we will just have the washing to do, we will need to get a few bits from the shop Saturday too.

Fridays is a hard day at work with one of our most challenging clients of the week its very hard work and stressful today so Im always glad its over.

Right better get on have good days all xx
    • Gers
    • By Gers 14th Jun 19, 6:22 AM
    • 7,699 Posts
    • 52,524 Thanks
    Gers
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:22 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:22 AM
    Good morning folks.

Thanks for starting us off Nelski - and well done on staying firm!

Yesterday morning DM was rather agitated for a couple of hours. I know that's she's trying to keep some independence and she must be very frustrated. Anyway, I left her with her lovely cleaning lady to do some chores.

When I got back I spent some time tidying up my work files. Today is my last 'working' day for the university so I wanted to leave things in order. I had to download some stuff from one online system and upload it to Sharepoint. Happily one techie colleague provided a guide which I followed. So, today I will delete my work email, back up my old files and then delete them from my laptop.

I need to go out for a bit of shopping as DM has asked for a couple of things to eat though I doubt she'll actually eat them. The waste here just now is just awful but can't be helped.

There's a visitor coming to DM this afternoon so I hope to get out for a walk. I've found a place to do a circular walk so will try that out.

Hope that all went well AOD.

Happy Friday to all.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 14th Jun 19, 6:27 AM
    • 4,409 Posts
    • 54,876 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:27 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:27 AM
    Morning All

Running very late this morning due to cleaning bathrooms and putting the washing on the rack, oh, and sitting trying to wake up!

Hope everyone's OK, I have DS1 and the DGC arriving tonight for the weekend - should be fun.

Take care. XX
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 14th Jun 19, 6:42 AM
    • 717 Posts
    • 9,818 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:42 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:42 AM
    Good morning,it's grey and damp here, at least it's not bl**dy raining.

Yesterday was an ok day, finished the ironing! now I just need the washing fairy round to create some more.

Dgs will be here this afternoon, because Dgd has a hospital appointment, so I told DD we would have him. He's a climber, we've discovered, so you can't take your eyes off him.
    We are her only babysitters really, her partners' Mum still works fulltime.

Friends are coming here tonight, and that's it really.

Thought of you yesterday AOD.

OL, I don't blame the dogs for not wanting to go out !

I was going to say something else, but I've forgotten what it was, don't suppose it was anything exciting though.

Anyway folks, hope you all have a reasonable day.

Take care folks xx
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 14th Jun 19, 6:58 AM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 23,081 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:58 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 6:58 AM
    Hey everyone,

Happy Friday.

I feel it hasn't stopped raining for, like, 4 or 5 days. I thought moving further south from Scotland meant dry and warm Junes?!?!

Stayed late in work yesterday as predicted, still didn't get half as much done as I'd hoped.

Anyway, I'm heading back to Glasgow this afternoon to see my dentist at 5pm. No other plans for this evening but will see family and friends again. Couple of spend days planned so I'll probably remain on 8 days so far.

Gers - Wowza, congratulations I suppose!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 14th Jun 19, 9:48 AM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 28,799 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:48 AM
    • 14th Jun 19, 9:48 AM
    Morning all and thank you for all your kind thoughts. Yesterday went quite well, my mother had planned her funeral in detail, down to the type of flowers she wanted from family. Attendance at funerals is dwindling now that the older generation are mostly no longer with us and that's rather sad. journey was a bit horrible, soaking wet motorways and huge lorries but we got there and back safely. It was sad to say goodbye but she had a very long life and she didn't have to spend her last days in hospital, which she would not have wanted.

Today is more rain, it hasn't stopped for about a week so I'm expecting a hosepipe ban any minute. I am still sorting this place out so no proper Friday Tidy but am doing the essentials as I go along.

I put a bird feeder out for the robins and other small birds and 2 squirrels have chewed it so badly that it can't hold seed now. They started by sticking their little paws in, then they got greedy because the feeding hole was deliberately little with things for tiny birds to perch on , so basically they have now shot themselves in the foot or paw.

A man has come and removed the rubbish preventing me from getting into the garden store/outhouse, I might sort that out later. I'm a bit tired so it may have to wait.

I hope everyone has as good a day as possible and, again, thank you for your kindness and support.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 14th Jun 19, 12:08 PM
    • 2,042 Posts
    • 24,928 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Hello all,
    It's stopped raining !!! for now anyway Can't remember when you moved down Speky,but last year was lovely in the NW .

AOD, glad DM funeral went well x

I went out roadsweeping earlier. After the flooding and road collapse 3 years ago,special drains were put in at the front of our cottages to direct the water into the big chamber and then down the hill and into the river.I noticed the other day that quite a lot of mud had gathered across the road so it wasn't going down very quickly. and was starting to pool a bit. Got my big brush and waterproofs on and got rid of it,nice and free flowing now . You'd think the council ,having spent 16 months rebuilding,would send a road sweeper out occasionally
    Also went to a local nursery with DH to get some plants for his landscaping job. He's put them in now but isn't starting the heavy stuff yet,it'd just turn into a quagmire. DS2 was invited to DGS school for a 'Fathers Day' event this morning where they played and painted.He said it was great but felt sorry for those children who couldn't have a dad there, and ended up playing with another boy too. DGS is very lucky as he also has a lovely Stepdad.
    Thai chicken for tea.Might pop another loaf in the BM once it's cooled down too,can't keep up over weekend.We have been invited to our friends tomorrow for a Greek night so that'll be a nice change.
    Take care all xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 14th Jun 19, 12:43 PM
    • 4,660 Posts
    • 37,305 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    AOD I'm pleased yesterday went as well as a loved one's funeral can. Your mum was very organised planning everything so meticulously in advance.

There was a very rare sighting here a short while ago - some blue sky and sun!! I don't suppose it will last long but it gives you a bit of hope!

I cracked on with the cleaning round this morning. Not a very thorough job but it looks better for it! Then did 2 wash loads of stuff gathered up as I went round and that is now festooned over the airers in the back bedroom (the warmest room) I've almost forgotten what it's like to peg washing outside! Surely we deserve a few nice weeks after all this rain!

I now feel a lazy afternoon coming on and plan on getting my feet up with my book for a while. Maybe even a nana nap!

Enjoy the rest of the day folks if you can x
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 14th Jun 19, 3:15 PM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 15,203 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Afternoon all. We have dgs here for tea as DD has a gp appointment. Fish fingers chips and peas on the menu for him.

AOD glad yesterday went well.
    Gers welcome to retirement.

Well enjoy the rest of your evenibg folks.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,781Posts Today

8,059Users online

Martin's Twitter