Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gavjewson
    • By gavjewson 13th Jun 19, 7:49 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    gavjewson
    CEL Letter before Court defence
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:49 PM
    CEL Letter before Court defence 13th Jun 19 at 7:49 PM
    Hi All,
    I have trawled through the forum over the last few days trying to find a suitable defence to submit regarding a parking fine from CEL.
    This is the timeline of events;
    Mid December i received a letter from a so called solicitors firm called ZZPS stating i owed 190 for an unpaid parking fine, the alleged offence took place back in August but i was never sent anything informing me of the offence.
    My car was parked in said car park on the day in August but i was NOT the driver on that day and a ticket was purchased by the driver, I replied to ZZPS via Email stating i had not received any other correspondence regarding this and that i was not the driver on the day.
    I informed them that if an offence could be proven the driver would be willing to pay the designated penalty but not the over inflated 190, They replied asking me to call their office to speak to them.
    When i spoke to them to explain i had not been given any notification until their letter in December they advised the only way to resolve was to pay the 190 and they could not do anything about it.
    I explained that wasn't acceptable they advised i needed to contact CEL direct however they could not give me any contact details due to data protection!
    I managed to find a telephone number online which stated someone would be available during working hours only to find its a payment line only ( conveniently).
    I then sent them a letter back in January explaining i had not received an opportunity to inform them of the driver or appeal but got no response until May when i received the letter before court.
    I have acknowledged this online but need to submit my defence by Sunday 16 June 2019, I want to base my defence on the fact i have not received the correct correspondence within the correct time frame, As far as i am aware the letter before court does not contain all the information it should, is not signed by a legal representative as stated and also the fact i have advised ZZPS and CEL that i was not the driver but they have completely ignored me.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance
    Last edited by gavjewson; 13-06-2019 at 7:56 PM.
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 13th Jun 19, 7:52 PM
    • 24,970 Posts
    • 31,874 Thanks
    Redx
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:52 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:52 PM
    advice ?

put some paragraphs into that great wall of text so people can actually read it

thank you
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 13th Jun 19, 7:56 PM
    • 17,819 Posts
    • 21,670 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:56 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 7:56 PM
    Reading you post it looks like you may have received a County Court Claim Form. Is that right?

If so, can you please tell us the Issue Date on that Claim Form, and did it come from the County Court Business Centre in Northampton, or from somewhere else?
    • gavjewson
    • By gavjewson 13th Jun 19, 8:02 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gavjewson
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:02 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:02 PM
    Apologies i have just tried to explain the best i can.

Thanks for the advice.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 13th Jun 19, 8:11 PM
    • 17,819 Posts
    • 21,670 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:11 PM
    Hi Keith,
    Yes it is the county court claim form from Northampton, It is dated 14th May 2019.
    I have followed the advice on the forum and have acknowledged it.
    Originally posted by gavjewson
    With a Claim Issue Date of 14th May, you had until Monday 3rd June to do the Acknowledgement of Service. Did you do the AoS by that date?

If you did the AoS in a timely manner, you have until 4pm on Monday 17th June 2019 to file your Defence.

Because 16th June is a Sunday, you have one day more than you thought.

When you are happy with the content, your Defence should be filed via email as suggested here:
    1. Print your Defence.
    2. Sign it and date it.
    3. Scan the signed document back in and save it as a pdf.
    4. Send that pdf as an email attachment to CCBCAQ@Justice.gov.uk
    5. Just put the claim number and the word Defence in the email title, and in the body of the email something like 'Please find my Defence attached'.
    6. Log into MCOL after a few days to see if the Claim is marked "defence received". If not chase the CCBC until it is.
    7. Do not be surprised to receive an early copy of the Claimant's Directions Questionnaire, they are just trying to keep you under pressure.
    8. Wait for your DQ from the CCBC, or download one from the internet, and then re-read post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread to find out exactly what to do with it.
    • gavjewson
    • By gavjewson 13th Jun 19, 8:11 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gavjewson
    Reading you post it looks like you may have received a County Court Claim Form. Is that right?

If so, can you please tell us the Issue Date on that Claim Form, and did it come from the County Court Business Centre in Northampton, or from somewhere else?
    Originally posted by KeithP
    Hi Keith,
    Yes it is the county court claim form from Northampton, It is dated 14th May 2019.
    I have followed the advice on the forum and have acknowledged it.

Thanks for your reply
    • gavjewson
    • By gavjewson 13th Jun 19, 8:22 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gavjewson
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:22 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:22 PM
    [QUOTE=KeithP;75922678]With a Claim Issue Date of 14th May, you had until Monday 3rd June to do the Acknowledgement of Service. Did you do the AoS by that date?

If you did the AoS in a timely manner, you have until 4pm on Monday 17th June 2019 to file your Defence.

Because 16th June is a Sunday, you have one day more than you thought.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the swift response, I will follow your guidance but i am worried it will not be set out correctly, Is there any links to examples i could follow to ensure my defence is suitable?

Thanks again for your time.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Jun 19, 8:23 PM
    • 76,396 Posts
    • 89,713 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:23 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:23 PM
    Have you done a SAR to see what they are going to say they posted in August? Do a SAR even though it won't arrive in time for you to defend, but it will help you at WS & evidence stage.

You need to see what they are going to show as their 'NTK' and you can't prove it never arrived (and they do not have to prove posting, so them showing it will be enough). Hence why this is NOT what you want to do at all:
    I want to base my defence on the fact i have not received the correct correspondence within the correct time frame,
    Use bargepole's concise defence plus a few lines about the fact you understand the driver did pay & display, and that you do not believe the Claimant complied with the POFA, so they cannot hold you liable. Then end it with this generic ending all about the rogue added costs:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=75922229#post75922229

It'll be like putting a jigsaw together and can be done tonight, easily.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • gavjewson
    • By gavjewson 13th Jun 19, 8:49 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gavjewson
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:49 PM
    • 13th Jun 19, 8:49 PM
    Have you done a SAR to see what they are going to say they posted in August? Do a SAR even though it won't arrive in time for you to defend, but it will help you at WS & evidence stage.

You need to see what they are going to show as their 'NTK' and you can't prove it never arrived (and they do not have to prove posting, so them showing it will be enough). Hence why this is NOT what you want to do at all:

Use bargepole's concise defence plus a few lines about the fact you understand the driver did pay & display, and that you do not believe the Claimant complied with the POFA, so they cannot hold you liable. Then end it with this generic ending all about the rogue added costs:

It'll be like putting a jigsaw together and can be done tonight, easily.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    Hi Coupon Mad,

Thanks for all the info and the link sent, I shall crack on with this tonight.

Your help is greatly appreciated, Thanks again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,795Posts Today

8,126Users online

Martin's Twitter