Advised to buy part for faulty appliance. Turns out it was not what I needed. What are my rights?

Options
autopilot
autopilot Posts: 17 Forumite
edited 13 June 2019 at 12:59PM in Consumer rights
I have a Bosch dryer which developed a fault out of warranty. It stopped working and just came up with an error code on the screen. I could not find the code online, so called the Bosch help line.

The person on the phone put me on hold to speak to a colleague, then came back and told me the code indicated a control board fault, and gave me a price (either with an engineer visit, or without). A few weeks later I called back and ordered the part they advised I needed.

Upon fitting the part, the same error code came up. So obviously the fault it being caused by something else, and the part I was advised to buy was not what is required.

I called them back and they flat out refuse to take the part back for a refund, because it’s now ‘used’. When asked why I was advised to buy that part and if they took any responsibility for that, they stating they are ‘not engineers’ although I’m not sure how that is really my problem and really changes anything.

What is the law here? Do I have any right to a refund?

Thanks.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As they had not tested it they simply told you what the code showed in their handbook.

The code relates to a control board fault, but without further tests to see if something else was causing that fault then nobody is any closer to the cure.

The problem is the original board may have been faulty due to another fault. The new board may also be faulty if the original fault killed it.

I doubt they said 100% its the board and a new one will fix it. They said the code in the book shows a board fault.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• autopilot
    Options
    As they had not tested it they simply told you what the code showed in their handbook.

The code relates to a control board fault, but without further tests to see if something else was causing that fault then nobody is any closer to the cure.

The problem is the original board may have been faulty due to another fault. The new board may also be faulty if the original fault killed it.

I doubt they said 100% its the board and a new one will fix it. They said the code in the book shows a board fault.

Thanks for replying.

No, they didn’t say this ‘will 100% fix it’. No more than anyone selling any product would say it would ‘work 100%’. If I bought a TV, I’m sure them not saying ‘this will work 100%’ would negate any rights. But I did make the purchase on their advice that this was the part required.

Also, if some thing else killed it, is the onus on me? If I bought a new fridge that didn’t work, could the seller say ‘well it could have been caused by your homes electrics’ and refuse a deal with the issue?

So, in short, they can wash their hands of this and take no responsibility for their advice? I have no rights, under the consumer rights act or any other legislation, to return for a refund it in these circumstances?
  • wesleyad
    wesleyad Posts: 754 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes you have rights, they cannot refuse a refund (unless its for hygiene reasons eg worn knickers), but they can offer a pro rata refund for use. I find it hard to believe installing it a circuit board would have any effect on "use" and so you should get near enough a 100% refund. You will have to pay for return shipping as it's effectively a "change of mind" rather than a faulty product.
  • autopilot
    Options
    wesleyad wrote: »
    Yes you have rights, they cannot refuse a refund (unless its for hygiene reasons eg worn knickers), but they can offer a pro rata refund for use. I find it hard to believe installing it a circuit board would have any effect on "use" and so you should get near enough a 100% refund. You will have to pay for return shipping as it's effectively a "change of mind" rather than a faulty product.

Would it not come under it being ‘not fit for the purpose described’ (or whatever the exact wording is)?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why did you not just get a repairman out, they tend to work with sale or return basis with most of the spares suppliers but that aside it would potentially have saved you the hassle you are now experiencing
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    autopilot wrote: »
    Would it not come under it being ‘not fit for the purpose described’ (or whatever the exact wording is)?

No. It is fit for the intended purpose, but it doesn't work because of something else.
  • autopilot
    Options
    Simonr66 wrote: »
    Why did you not just get a repairman out, they tend to work with sale or return basis with most of the spares suppliers but that aside it would potentially have saved you the hassle you are now experiencing

Because it was a £100 call out fee. I didn’t want to pay someone all that money to remove 3 screws and unplug something, which I can do myself in about 3 minutes.

But this is besides my point, I’m asking for advice on returning an item (which I’ve never had problems with before).
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not just 3 screws though and if the original fault damaged that board then you may not get a refund.

You need to fault find which is what your paying that money for. If you dont have the skill then you need to pay someone that does.

Im fairly handy with a lot of things, but there will always be jobs i have to pay others to do. I would not paint a car, rip the engine out yes but not paint one. I wont tile a room either. A pro could do a better job in a fraction of the time i would take.

Sometimes you need to pay.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• autopilot
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    No. It is fit for the intended purpose, but it doesn't work because of something else.

Ok. So going back to simply not wanting it, can it not be returned for a refund (with the cost of return covered by myself) if it’s been tried?

I was under the impression it could be after reading this - https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-want-to-return-something-bought-online
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 June 2019 at 4:08PM
    Options
    You have used that board there is no guarantee that it is still servicable, they are probably just the spares department and as stated are not engineers.

I doubt they have the facilities to test that board to make sure it is still working and can be put back into stock, it is now second hand so they cannot sell it as new.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure