MSE News: Been charged for unwanted Amazon Prime? Here's how to cancel

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    john823 wrote: »
    If anybody wants to tell me that I must have clicked on a free trial or something or that as one of the phone operators suggested a family member must have used my card to sign up and before going any further I should phone family members in Cornwall, Yorkshire, Scotland and ask if any of them have visited my flat when I wasn't here and signed me up without telling me or even hanging about for a cup of tea I shall get very cross! .

You're going to have to get very cross then because I would say that accidentally clicking on a free trial offer is by far the most likely explanation (your other scenario is a lot less likely unless you have a particular family member in mind already).
  • john823
    john823 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 6 June 2018 at 10:10PM
    Sorry, but even Amazon accept that I haven't accidentally clicked on anything.
    The only contact I've had with Amazon in the last year or so was a purchase from an eBay seller using Amazon FBA and that I was only aware of on delivery.

Surely if I'd accidentally subscribed to prime I would now have a Prime account and would not need to sign up for Prime to get a refund?
  • Latest is that Amazon is now denying ever charging me for Prime.
    Do you think the police would be interested :rotfl:
  • I think some of these posts are a little unfair. I was signed up to Amazon Prime without my knowledge. I did not knowingly click on anything that would sign me up to Prime, even for a free 30-day trial, because I have no use for it.
    Amazon has refunded two monthly contributions that were taken out of my credit card account before I realised they were stealing my money. I reported Amazon for fraud to my credit card company, and they issued me with a new card so the fraudsters can no longer make claims.
    Interestingly, an apologetic email from Amazon about why I was signed up for Prime says: “I would like to let you know that this was due to a technical error.”
    Normally they blame the victim.
    How many people are being robbed of their money due to this “technical error”?

Pat Malone
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Pat_Malone wrote: »
    I think some of these posts are a little unfair. I was signed up to Amazon Prime without my knowledge. I did not knowingly click on anything that would sign me up to Prime, even for a free 30-day trial, because I have no use for it.
    Amazon has refunded two monthly contributions that were taken out of my credit card account before I realised they were stealing my money. I reported Amazon for fraud to my credit card company, and they issued me with a new card so the fraudsters can no longer make claims.
    Interestingly, an apologetic email from Amazon about why I was signed up for Prime says: “I would like to let you know that this was due to a technical error.”

Pat Malone

Only those people who don't check their bank accounts regularly...
  • letsbehonest
    letsbehonest Posts: 1,098 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Amazon did the same thing to me twice in consecutive months. I am not a prime member as I will not pay for the privilege of shopping on their site. In the past two years they have refunded me £150 for unwanted prime, I always take extra care not to select anything to do with prime so how does this happen? Dodgy practice's that's why they are now the worlds richest company.
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I purchased an item recently and it was impossible to check out without selecting free trail. I couldn't find where they had hidden the link for 'check out without this rubbish' option. I cancelled the prime next day. I had one month free access to their programmes that I didn't watch even though its free. which says something. Some of it it just home made video documentaries that you have already seen on youtube years ago.
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,874 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Surprisingly easy to bounce through accidentally selecting the Prime: feels like a highly dubious business practise to me.
    Then no way instantly reject it (I hadn’t even completed the translation, & still haven’t!). Reject on the web site treats it as if I wanted the trial month.
    How the heck do I instantly reject that? Their help systems gives no obvious way to email or chat to anyone: is Amazon now entirely run by wealthy ‘bots?!
    Pffft.
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • I have been signed up to Amazon Prime without even signing in/buying anything. I called to cancel and they say they will do that (and refunding) but will not say how I could have signed up. I have deleted my saved payments to try and stop this happening again. Has this happened to anyone else?
  • Interestingly, an apologetic email from Amazon about why I was signed up for Prime says: “I would like to let you know that this was due to a technical error.”

I too have been told my sign up was due to a technical error. This is surely illegal? I hate Amazon, I do not use it- there have been no purchases on my account for well over 2 years and I haven't logged in. I have now deleted my card (OBVS!), it is not obvious how you delete your account. Anyone know how to do that?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback