Life's swerve ball - need to plan differently!

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If you are paying your pension through your employer the 40% tax relief happens automatically by dint of you not paying 40% tax on that portion of your salary that goes into your pension directly. There are many calculators online which will tell you how much tax you should pay taking into account your income and pension payments. Compare that with your P60.
  • Thanks AnotherJoe...

I looked at the calculator on this site and it allows you to add info in 'advanced' section so I entered the info only to notice that when came to the monthly pension contribution field, and checked the '?' button to read the comment...it says that it wont be accurate if my payments are Sal Sacrifice payments.

I looked at my payslip and the deduction has 'Sal/SacPens' as the description against it....is that OK or do i need to do something special?

Also a really dumb question, and I'm still pondering to ask it..!

If I do get my £450K+ sitting in the pension companies and then decide at 60 to start drawing down on the monies, does the money actually stay with those companies, hopefully growing at more than my% drawdown meaning I don;t touch the capital. And then when I depart this mortal world, the capital can be left to my darling children....or am I way off in this?

I understand that, if I invest in an Pension Annuity, I'm buying an insurance product of sorts and I shouldn't expect to have anything left afterwards to pass on....is that correct?

Sorry if I've made anyone bang their heads repeatedly on the desk :-)
  • ermine
    ermine Posts: 757 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    the only other aspect to consider are dead periods which we've never had over many years renting. And because there's no mortgage on the property I'm not going to worry about losing the place, only a period without income which wouldn't be the end of the world for a short time because I have other incomes available and I can always trim expenditure for a while.

You are ignoring what you could do otherwise with the capital - a void is not just a drop in income, it is the opportunity cost of the return you could get on that capital in either another asset class or on a more diversified res property portfolio.

But then property is religion in the UK. It always goes up. You purchased this house in 1994, at an excellent time to purchase property, so of course it always goes up in your experience.

I was stupid enough to buy a house early in 1989. In the same way as Mark Twain said of carrying a cat by the tail I learned a great truth about housing in selling a house for 50% of the purchase price in real terms 10 years, after seeing both neighbours repossessed. Thankfully I could only stretch myself to a crappy 2 up 2 down rather than a semi, so at least I could save my way out of that youthful foolishness. Housing is a cyclical market, where the cycles are long compared to the business cycle, and I had been unlucky enough to be a twenty-something at the wrong time ;), compounded with being stupid enough to believe the stories of previous generations who hadn't lost on houses because inflation nuked the real value of their mortgages.

But that'll never happen again, of course. Because it's all different now. And thankfully all the newspaper headlines about 3 million people in negative equity are from before 1994, and the WWW only started in 1994, so the records aren't publicly accessible.

FWIW one of the opportunity costs for you is putting the money into your pension, even if you keep in in cash, not having the 40% tax stolen from you means every £60 net you do without and shift to your pension is worth £100 in the pension or worth £80 if you area 20% taxpayer as a pensioner, a 33% ROI on riskless cash. There's a strong case for you to take out a mortgage on your primary residence so you can pump money into your pension to bring your net income down to the BRT threshold.

But of course, forget the 33%. Safe as houses, everyone needs somewhere to live, all the other tropes. Just because you can touch an asset class and understand the job it does still doesn't mean it can't burn you.
  • Thanks Ermine,

I can't really argue with the fact that I've been lucky with being born when I was and buying my first place when I did. That said, the same goes for my father in the UK, and all of my relatives of my generation and the generation before in France and Spain...it's luck and nothing more, and a situation probably not to be repeated with such a level of gain, within my lifetime.

That said, habits die hard!

Until now I hadn't considered my property rental activities to be riskier and potentially less beneficial as putting the capital worth into pension investments, so that's new and interesting.

I certainly feel I can manage this investment hands on because it's in my domain of influence, being 10 minutes away and me managing ALL maint costs etc...and choosing the tenant etc (current 9yr) . And this feels like a good balance against the things i feel I'm not experienced in and have little influence over.

It's a comfort thing I guess...but I'll need to mull it over.

For anyonne who's even slightly interested in this thread, an dis hanging in there for me...
    Any feedback on my question at 'post 43 @ 1.45pm'...would be very welcome. However I'll understand if I've run out of time on this thread and I'll open a new one on this specific subject.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    ...ignoring all the drama about what could go wrong with your rental property, there is the certainty that as one gets older there is a need to simplify finances and reduce both risk and workload. At some point it will be sensible to sell the rental and convert its value to cash. Doing so now allows that to be done with the pension payment tax advantage. But only you know whether now is the best time for you to take this step.
  • Also a really dumb question, and I'm still pondering to ask it..!

If I do get my £450K+ sitting in the pension companies and then decide at 60 to start drawing down on the monies, does the money actually stay with those companies, hopefully growing at more than my% drawdown meaning I don;t touch the capital. And then when I depart this mortal world, the capital can be left to my darling children....or am I way off in this?

I understand that, if I invest in an Pension Annuity, I'm buying an insurance product of sorts and I shouldn't expect to have anything left afterwards to pass on....is that correct?

Sorry if I've made anyone bang their heads repeatedly on the desk :-)

Yes, the money will remain invested in whatever funds you have chosen and will continue to rise and fall in line with the performance of the underlying investments. So if they are doing well, it is quite possible that at the end of a year you will have more than you started with even after taking the drawdown amount.

Anything left when you die can be passed on to your chosen beneficiaries.

With an annuity, there won't be anything left to pass on, but the advantage is your income will be secure, you don't have to worry about the possibility of a stock market crash forcing you to reduce the amount you are drawing down each year.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have you told HMRC about your pension contributions at 40%? With rental income do you fill out self assessment?

Those are two ways to make sure you are getting your 40% TR
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Yes, the money will remain invested in whatever funds you have chosen and will continue to rise and fall in line with the performance of the underlying investments. So if they are doing well, it is quite possible that at the end of a year you will have more than you started with even after taking the drawdown amount.

Anything left when you die can be passed on to your chosen beneficiaries.

With an annuity, there won't be anything left to pass on, but the advantage is your income will be secure, you don't have to worry about the possibility of a stock market crash forcing you to reduce the amount you are drawing down each year.

yep, greatkingrat got there ahead of me.
    ]
    As a practical example, my SIPP grew by £40k last month, I withdrew £3.5k. I'm sure there will be periods it loses £40k
  • Thanks ...Atush..Greatkingrat ...AnotherJoe

Until this thread I'd only ever heard about annuities as being the way to retire...this has changed my understanding completely, so thanks.

As I said I'm going to be seeing an IFA in the next 2 weeks, and knowing a a little more beforehand is really helpful. Out of interest is a drawdown approach 'normal' in as, do the vast majority buy annuities only or do people normally do a combination?

Is an IFA more likely to advise annuities because its safer and they get a commission somehow?

Yes, I do complete a self-assessment form because I rent the property, but I do it myself (probably a mistake in hind-sight) and don't complicate it with anything to do with my pension etc...

I think I'll see our personnel department and ask how my Company Pension accounts for the 40% relief...does that sound OK?

Also, is the deduction on mine as 'Sal ScrPens' normal...are there other ways of it being done that are better?

Thanks
  • ermine
    ermine Posts: 757 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

As I said I'm going to be seeing an IFA in the next 2 weeks, and knowing a a little more beforehand is really helpful. Out of interest is a drawdown approach 'normal' in as, do the vast majority buy annuities only or do people normally do a combination?

Drawdown is popular, but then annuity rates are at historic lows. You don't have to take your entire pot as an annuity, you can stagger drawdown with part annuities over the years then switch to annuities if you so wish. An IFA would explain the pros and cons of the various approaches. Your desire to featherbed your children will push you more in the direction of drawdown, you get to eat more risk of being destitute because of that.

Is an IFA more likely to advise annuities because its safer and they get a commission somehow?

You have to ask the IFA about his fee structure and how much commission he gets, it is less of an issue now than it used to be.
    I think I'll see our personnel department and ask how my Company Pension accounts for the 40% relief...does that sound OK?

Also, is the deduction on mine as 'Sal ScrPens' normal...are there other ways of it being done that are better?

Thanks

You jammy so and so, if you are getting your pension contributions via salary sacrifice if that is what the SalScr acronym means then a) tax is not a problem, if for the sake of argument you sal sac £40k out of £80k gross you are out of the HRT band because you salary is only 40k, you sacrificed the other 40k into your pension.

What is even better is you save on NI, doesn't matter much over £45k but between ~£11.5k and ~£45k you are not only not having 20% tax stolen from you, but you are also not having 12% NI (ISTR) stolen from you, so you are enjoying a 32% win. With a mortgage on your res prop funding your living costs you could drive your salary down to national minimum wage (you aren't allowed to push it lower, at any rate I wasn't) which is about 15k for a full time wage I think. Saving a hit of 32% of (~45k-15k) which is about 10k p.a going to your pension and not HMRC. You don't pay NI on a pension on the way out. However, there is a limit of ~40k on annual pension savings, though you may be able to carry forward unused allowance from the previous three years.

Salary sacrifice rocks and means you are even better off with pension savings than many others ;) Hit it, it's rude not to. And would give you a better return on the capital tied up in your property portfolio and with a mortgage you can keep your property religion too, what's not to like?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure