Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 29
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 29th Jun 17, 3:30 PM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 3,569 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    40 a week ? That sounds a heck of a lot. Given what you've said, I'd say it's definitely worth giving a meter a trial - you usually have a year to switch back to unmetered if you want to.

Try plugging some figures into here to get some estimates :

https://www.ccwater.org.uk/watermetercalculator/
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 29th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 3,587 Posts
    • 2,230 Thanks
    matelodave
    40 a week, sound a bit over the top, I'd guess 40 amonth is nearer the mark.

Water companies should install a meter if you request one - have a look at your water bill or their website. You have the option of trying it for 12 monts, some water companies it's 24 to see if it's saving you money - if not you can go back to RV billing.

When you are on a meter it's you that can control how much you use and therefore how much it costs.

You can do a rough estimate by checking your water co website to find out the cost of metered water & waste and put in around 110cum for the two of you.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 30th Jun 17, 8:39 AM
    • 4,884 Posts
    • 2,026 Thanks
    brewerdave
    40 per week ?? I've just updated my spreadsheets for comparison purposes, and if I was still on RV for water rates 'd be paying ~ 15.50 per week in a 5 bedroom detached (vs ~10 per week on a meter)
    • HonourlessWeasel
    • By HonourlessWeasel 16th Jul 17, 4:54 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    HonourlessWeasel
    I was wondering about putting a water meter in, but don't know if it will say me money in the long run.
    I am paying 40 pounds a week for water and waste. Only a 2 bed 1 bathroom house and only 2 people live here.
    I heard that if you have a water meter fitted you can trial it for 6 months - has anyone heard of this?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Stella72
    That would be 2080 per year at 40 per week over an entire year

The last place I lived in London was with Sutton and East Surrey water and they were doing an absolute doozy on me, tried to get me to pay off the previous tenant's unpaid bills, then "fitted" a meter and my bill was about 90 for the whole lot every six months for the first year. By the time we left five years later, that had gone up to 160 every six months despite us using less water. Just before we left I looked in the manhole where our water meter was (under a tree in a mud bank, not in the pavement with the ones for the rest of the flats) and there was actually no meter. Seems they'd been making it all up. They tried to charge to me nearly 300 as an account closure bill until I challenged them on the situation.

I've got a meter at my new property and since moving in April I've paid a six month standing charge and one bill period based on a reading at a total of 36. I monitor the reading on the meter now, so I can challenge with every bill if needs be. It's looking like our six months bill will be nearer the 60 I expect. It's only two of us in a 3 bed house.
    • sparkyfran
    • By sparkyfran 25th Jul 17, 2:21 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sparkyfran
    I'm with South East water and even though I get the social tariff and water sure discount I still find it expensive. I live in a 2 bed with my partner and pay 23 per month (we don't have a dishwasher, garden or car, we use the washing machine 1-2 times per week). We mainly have strip washes and bath once a week (due to a high bill of them wanting 58 per month at one point). However a family of 5 I know pay 26 and bath 3 times per night and shower, washing machine every day and are in credit.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 4th Oct 17, 1:46 PM
    • 4,406 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    aardvaak
    There are 2 people in my house and I have a meter and I have just had a bill for 6 months for 220
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 5th Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    • 9,044 Posts
    • 5,393 Thanks
    teddysmum
    We have had our first bill since having a meter and have saved around 60% on our previous bills (translating 119 days'bill to cover 365).

There are just two of us and we have had no garden/lawn watering to do ,few full car washes , plus a silly period where we did not flush the toilet every time when in alone and collected the first cold water from the hot tap for plant watering (still do in the kitchen where plants are handy),but even with these savings reduced it would still be a very small bill in comparison to previous costs.

I wish we'd converted years ago.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 5th Oct 17, 4:54 PM
    • 27,364 Posts
    • 13,390 Thanks
    Cardew
    There are 2 people in my house and I have a meter and I have just had a bill for 6 months for 220
    Originally posted by aardvaak
    220 in the South West would be cheap, expensive in Thames.

Bearing in mind that water charges can be 3 times as much in some districts than others
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 5th Oct 17, 5:23 PM
    • 10,504 Posts
    • 4,437 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    As above water varies with supplier .
    Me about 250 PA with South Staffs Water .
    RV charges circa 600- 650.
    • airmac
    • By airmac 16th Mar 18, 2:09 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    airmac
    I live in a 3 bed detached house...just the two of us and have only just had a water meter installed. My bill for the year had dropped by 400...staggering really...the billing will be reviewed after 6 months and if I am not happy I will have up to two years to go back to the HUGE none metred charge...
    • airmac
    • By airmac 16th Mar 18, 2:10 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    airmac
    I live in a 3 bed detached house...just the two of us and have only just had a water meter installed. My bill for the year has dropped by 400...staggering really...the billing will be reviewed after 6 months and if I am not happy I will have up to two years to go back to the HUGE none metred charge...
    • harrym1byt
    • By harrym1byt 17th Mar 18, 11:03 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    harrym1byt
    They will tell you how much (cubic metres) they have calculated you will use and the fixed charges. So all you need do is log your usage, to see how it compares to their estimated usage - the one they are basing your charge on. That should give you a good indication of whether they are charging too much or too little and the likely adjustment.

My original unmetered bill was immediately cut in a little less than two, then reduced by a little more after my first years metered use. The initial year's over charge was paid back into my direct debit account. My own figures indicate I am still overpaying, compared to my use this second year, so there will be another refund due at the year end.

I keep a weekly spreadsheet of my gas and electric use, so it was not difficult to add water consumption figures and its cost to the sheets. My sheet shows me exactly how much each utility costs me week by week, plus a total weekly and annual costing.

I have made absolutely no drastic efforts to reduce consumption, just quite minor things, such as converting toilets to dual flush and not deliberately leaving taps running.

Agreeing to a meter install has saved me hundreds of pounds so far, so no complaints at all from me.
    • LMS123
    • By LMS123 21st Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    LMS123
    There are 3 adults living in my small semi-detached house. A couple of years ago my monthly bill was over 45 so I looked into getting a water meter with United Utilities.
    Twice I went online and completed one of those questionnaires about whether to change to a meter and it estimated if I would save or not. Both times the result said I would have "marginal" savings, so I didn't bother.
    After speaking to others at work, I bit the bullet and had a meter installed as you can go back to the old billing method within 12 months if you're not happy. I don't know other water companies conditions.
    My monthly bills reduced from about 45 to 25! And we're not "tight" with using water, just using it as normal.
    Needless to say, I stay metered! But I wonder if the water company's "estimated calculation" err in their favour so that some customers, like me, don't bother to change to a meter as they think they won't save much, if anything.
    Last edited by LMS123; 21-03-2018 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Additional info.
    • harrym1byt
    • By harrym1byt 21st Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    harrym1byt
    My 1 person consumption estimate turned out eventually to be a little on the high side, none the less it did show a good saving so I jumped in. Once in they still charged a bit over for the first year, based on another lower estimate. My actual figure was much less and now, two years on, they base the charge on actual consumption figures.

They were quick to refund any over payments back to the DD account.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 16th Apr 18, 2:54 PM
    • 5,919 Posts
    • 3,647 Thanks
    Hengus
    you could download this great app which helped me save water and electricity and it is really simple to use
    https: play.google.com / store/apps /details?id = smartView.Mobile

This application is available on the Google Play store and has been really helpful thus far splendid app

Kind Regards
    Originally posted by FranklinUtilities
    Kind Regards or not, you are in breach of MSE rules. - sorry.

Verified users are spokespeople for their company. This status is granted entirely at MoneySavingExpert's discretion, following checks, where a company can help answer forum users' questions.

Which type of companies and organisations are allowed?

We generally limit this to household names with large customer numbers, companies that have been mentioned in the MoneySavingExpert content, or non-profit agencies we have a relationship with.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 15th May 18, 7:58 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    I asked for a water meter to be installed in my 1 bed flat, in 2011. I am saving around 60 a year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,580Posts Today

7,912Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin