compulsory metering areas

I am in process of purchasing a property. How can I find out if the house comes under compulsory metering area?

Thanks

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    ric1982 wrote: »
    I am in process of purchasing a property. How can I find out if the house comes under compulsory metering area?

Thanks

Ask the water company supplying that area.

It should be noted that since 1990 water companies have had the power to fit a meter on change of occupant. Some companies(the majority?) simply didn't bother to enforce that provision as there was no incentive for them to fit a meter.

However there is apparently now pressure on these companies to fit meters and it may well be that a meter will be fitted regardless of your wishes.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If you have a meter fitted just because you are a new occupant, you don't have the option of going back to the rv based system,unlike those who volunteered to have a meter.

However,based on the huge saving we have made, we won't want to revert. Even my son's costs are low (similar type of house) and the household consists of two adults and three children. (Tiny garden and uses car washes,though).
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    We save around £350 a year by being on a meter, so dont feel that you'll be disadvantaged by having one and as Cardew says you may not have any option anyway if the water company invoke their right to fit one on change of occupant.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport