Ryanair cancelling up to 50 flights a day

Comments

• melb
    melb Posts: 2,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was wondering if I booked a Ryanair flight now for departure within the next 6 weeks, would they only be selling flights that were definitely going ahead or do they decide just a couple of days before which ones to cancel?
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    melb wrote: »
    I was wondering if I booked a Ryanair flight now for departure within the next 6 weeks, would they only be selling flights that were definitely going ahead or do they decide just a couple of days before which ones to cancel?

Depends how much you trust them, which for many isn't very much.

The anecdotal evidence here is that they are potentially cancelling flights at a few days notice where it's uneconomic for them to operate them, in which case they'll steel tickets up to the departure date, and the number and rate of sales may well influence which they cancel.
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thanks for that - but it would be completely unethical to put flights on sale now and then cancel them later surely? As opposed to cancelling flights booked months ago when they apparently didn't plan ahead to manage staff holidays (!) Of course we all know it's a cynical attempt to save money by cancelling flights which aren't full - they have done it in the past under the guise of weather conditions etc, but i would have thought legally they would be on a sticky wicket if, after announcing these cancellatinos, they were still selling flights which were later cancelled. We shall see ...
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    melb wrote: »
    thanks for that - but it would be completely unethical to put flights on sale now and then cancel them later surely? As opposed to cancelling flights booked months ago when they apparently didn't plan ahead to manage staff holidays (!) Of course we all know it's a cynical attempt to save money by cancelling flights which aren't full - they have done it in the past under the guise of weather conditions etc, but i would have thought legally they would be on a sticky wicket if, after announcing these cancellatinos, they were still selling flights which were later cancelled. We shall see ...

Ethics and morals are irrelevant when it comes to Ryanair - and they also seem to think they can ignore the law too. And it's not UK law you're dealing with most of the time, either.

I wouldn't trust them an inch not to cancel flights on sale now, and their small print enables them to do just that if it suits them to.
  • I love Ryanair. They've enabled me to live abroad and get home for visits for next to no money. They've allowed me to have cheap holidays all over Europe.

I learnt long ago to think of them as a bus service rather than an airline. I don't pay for any extras (OH and I have never had to sit separately, but we'd cope if we had to). I always said, when we were living in recession-hit Ireland in 2008, that if any company survived it would be Ryanair. I loved their trick of extending their flight times so that more flights would be on time (genius - flight takes an hour, so Ryanair schedule it for an hour and a quarter, you know what time it's due in so work accordingly, and often enough your flight gets in early, which is a bonus - and that 15 minutes mops up a lot of the flights that might otherwise have been classed as late).

But this? Everyone has their breaking point. Unfortunately I have flights booked for mid-October.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A new option has appeared during the Ryanair booking steps: Tick this box to guarantee your flight will actually happen. Oh that costs extra... in fact it brings the ticket price up to that of major competitors.

(Only joking)
  • 'Effin ridiculous!!! I've vowed never to use Ryanair in the past, mainly because they have so much bad press but also because their CEO is a prize %*#@... I did however succumb recently and it was ok but my flight was loaded up with so many extras it turned into a false economy.

I'm flying to London next Monday, as usual for work, only this time I've decided to take the family with me. £119 for for of us to Stansted, nice!
    Some "vow". First sign of a cheap ticket and your principles go out the window. You are one of thousands of reasons why Ryanair's model works.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    korky69 wrote: »
    sorry but i don't agree, yes i always take a credit card for emergencies but not all have them for whatever reasons so it is definitely a danger to those who don't, please don't patronise those in this situation, you are saying those who could have fallen into debt before and cannot get a credit card but now can afford a cheap break away aren't allowed?
    SHAME ON YOU

But even people who cannot get a credit card must have a debit/bank card to purchase tickets on line.
    No body with any sense goes abroad without some sort of financial backup.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've got Ryanair flights booked for November. It's the first time and part of a holiday I've booked so not my choice as such. It's not a package as such (flights, train and hotels separately) so I wouldn't necessarily be covered for cancellation of the whole holiday.

I thought I'd give it a couple of weeks to see how things go and then contact the company to ask what if. I suppose they'll be really busy this week with people travelling sooner.

Any views/advice?
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ganga wrote: »
    But even people who cannot get a credit card must have a debit/bank card to purchase tickets on line.
    No body with any sense goes abroad without some sort of financial backup.

But how much backup? There has already been a post where it has cost €1400 to get a family back by booking new flights. I don't know about you but I can't hit my bank account for an unexpected £1300. I have that money but not at immediate notice. That is the reality. Most people I reckon would-be struggling to scrape together £200 in a hurry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure