removing excess phone sockets - who can do that?

Comments

• AndyPK wrote: »
    Wilh the amount of stuff you have I can imagine a bt engineer would be there longer than an hour sorting it to your standards.

You can buy a new socket if you wish. However if you fit it to a metal back box and purchase that £7 front there will not be much left on display.

My standards? I just want it to work and not be dangerous. I pull out all the old sockets myself. I just need to know the master works and is safe.

Apologies - what's a metal back box? And what's the £7 front? And probably being an idiot but I'm not sure what you mean by "not much left on display"?
  • Here's pics of inside the hanging off the wall socket. Is this the master?

https://imgur.com/a/XW6YM
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    As long as you get a genuine BT/Openreach master socket who will know or really care ? Legally only Openreach can touch it, even an openreach guy can't do it on his day off. But it is so simple that anyone with access to Youtube can do a perfectly reasonable job.
  • molerat
    Here's pics of inside the hanging off the wall socket. Is this the master?

https://imgur.com/a/XW6YM
    Yes, it is one of the 2 masters you have.
  • wallofbeans
    wallofbeans Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 10 September 2017 at 6:15PM
    molerat wrote: »
    Yes, it is one of the 2 masters you have.

But the other master socket is just master socket in terms of the type of cover it is, right?
    It's the back bedroom socket, which hasn't been used at all and feeds from the junction at the front door via another one and then a very long wire going up the stairs and around the walls of the back bedroom to that socket.

What I mean is - I don't need to keep the second master socket, do I? Because that's the one I mostly want to remove...

Any ideas why I have two master sockets? And why the main one is so much crappier than the one I don't use at all!
  • molerat wrote: »
    As long as you get a genuine BT/Openreach master socket who will know or really care ? Legally only Openreach can touch it, even an openreach guy can't do it on his day off. But it is so simple that anyone with access to Youtube can do a perfectly reasonable job.

Are the newer ones better and or different from the one I have in my back bedroom?

I.e. Are there advantages to getting a new one versus using the one from upstairs to replace the one hanging off the wall?
  • molerat
    edited 10 September 2017 at 6:25PM
    No you don't need to keep it. It is a weird bodge up you have and disconnecting that second junction above the front door should cause no problems.

The only mystery is where that red cable goes. The metal box looks quite old so I imagine the cable has been there a while. Maybe it is like in my house, I have a disconnected cable inside my master socket box and a blanked box upstairs with a cable in it, original to the 1980s house. They are not connected and I can only assume that somewhere along the way the builders managed to chop it !

The only real advantage to getting a modern one is that you can have separate ADSL and phone sockets on the front if you wish so no need for the splitter hanging out or just a nice clean shiny one.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Generally a master socket is required on the first socket from outside to ensure all phones ring.

I suspect there used to be a proper bt socket where the loose one is. It got damaged and the previous owner fixed it himself!

A new master socket will be of no advantage (this is Mse after all lol)
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    This is the £7 filter plate where you can plug your broadband straight in.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TELEPHONE-VDSL2-ADSL-BROADBAND-FACEPLATE-FILTER-FOR-BT-TYPE-MASTER-SOCKET-NTE5A-/221934535028?epid=1288971783&hash=item33ac544174:g%20%20:P9MAAOSwbwlXCBHM

The metal back box is in the wall where your router currently is.
    You described it like a grown up house.
  • AndyPK wrote: »
    This is the £7 filter plate where you can plug your broadband straight in.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TELEPHONE-VDSL2-ADSL-BROADBAND-FACEPLATE-FILTER-FOR-BT-TYPE-MASTER-SOCKET-NTE5A-/221934535028?epid=1288971783&hash=item33ac544174:g%20%20:P9MAAOSwbwlXCBHM

The metal back box is in the wall where your router currently is.
    You described it like a grown up house.

Ah... So I could buy that and just take off the front of the current point where I plug in my router and phone and put this on instead? It'll fit?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure