DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    susieA wrote: »
    Thank you for your responses. So just to break it down...

Go through stepchange helpline to get a reference number

Write to debtors and say I'm setting up a dmp with stepchange this is the reference number with them and I'm going to pay £1 until it's been set up

Wait a month

Ring stepchange and say I wish to go through with the dmp

Wait a month then send back the paperwork that I'm assuming they send me

Then start the dmp and hopefully have everyone agree.

Is that kinda the process?

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it

That's about it , but I never spoke to anyone at sc, did it all online.
    Puzz
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • kram
    kram Posts: 136 Forumite
    Here's a link to the sc debt remedy tool:

https://www.stepchange.org/Debtremedy.aspx

Get the ref no & away you go.

Good luck

K
  • since going it alone I wrote to all my creditors offering token payments, quite a few didnt reply, most rejected and 1 accepted for a year(although the account has been closed on my credit file so maybe sold on?)

A friend offered to help me out and with his help I made a couple of of F&Fs which subsequently cleared a £950(450 arrears) loan with 118118 for £250, and a £3900 debt with bamboo for £1200.
    Amazingly 118118 made me that offer not the other way round, and i undershot bamboo thinking they would raise me up, but they didnt.

My other debts are credit card debts and overdraft, so i'm guessing they wont be as easy to negotiate with(although im not currently in a position to do F&Fs to them yet) 2 of these have been sold to dca's. I'm working my backside off doing 50+ hours overtime a month which will help greatly.
    its almost 6 months to the day that I bit the bullet and started my dmp journey, its amazing how empowered you feel when dealing with your creditors, (thanks to some blunt words of advice from sourcrates :D ) I realise now how blind I was when I was scared of my creditors, borrowing from one company to pay another etc. and I feel going through these hard times now isnt a bad thing, I have learned so much about credit and debt, that its a lesson that will help me through the rest of my life.

good luck everyone!
  • Stepchange have now written to my creditors with my payment plan.
    I had a letter from nationwide today saying that as it's going to take so long to pay them back, they've stopped interest and charges and will issue a default notice now. it also says they'll not take any further action as long as I pay my regular payments.
    This seems a bit too good to be true - is this usual?
  • henrryyyy wrote: »
    since going it alone I wrote to all my creditors offering token payments, quite a few didnt reply, most rejected and 1 accepted for a year(although the account has been closed on my credit file so maybe sold on?)

A friend offered to help me out and with his help I made a couple of of F&Fs which subsequently cleared a £950(450 arrears) loan with 118118 for £250, and a £3900 debt with bamboo for £1200.
    Amazingly 118118 made me that offer not the other way round, and i undershot bamboo thinking they would raise me up, but they didnt.

My other debts are credit card debts and overdraft, so i'm guessing they wont be as easy to negotiate with(although im not currently in a position to do F&Fs to them yet) 2 of these have been sold to dca's. I'm working my backside off doing 50+ hours overtime a month which will help greatly.
    its almost 6 months to the day that I bit the bullet and started my dmp journey, its amazing how empowered you feel when dealing with your creditors, (thanks to some blunt words of advice from sourcrates :D ) I realise now how blind I was when I was scared of my creditors, borrowing from one company to pay another etc. and I feel going through these hard times now isnt a bad thing, I have learned so much about credit and debt, that its a lesson that will help me through the rest of my life.

good luck everyone!

Fantastic post. In the words of Mr Punch..... "that's the way to do it" ;)
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    henrryyyy wrote: »
    .....its almost 6 months to the day that I bit the bullet and started my dmp journey, its amazing how empowered you feel when dealing with your creditors, (thanks to some blunt words of advice from sourcrates :D ) I realise now how blind I was when I was scared of my creditors, borrowing from one company to pay another etc. and I feel going through these hard times now isnt a bad thing, I have learned so much about credit and debt, that its a lesson that will help me through the rest of my life.
    good luck everyone!

Great news and good luck with any future F&Fs (not that I think you'll need it). You've now got your head in the game and rather than let creditors dictate, you are in control :D
    Stepchange have now written to my creditors with my payment plan. I had a letter from nationwide today saying that as it's going to take so long to pay them back, they've stopped interest and charges and will issue a default notice now. it also says they'll not take any further action as long as I pay my regular payments.
    This seems a bit too good to be true - is this usual?

Sounds about right. No point flogging a dead horse (as the saying goes). An early default is good and you'll probably find they'll sell the debt on to a DCA in the next few months anyway. I don't have debts with Nationwide, but did with Halifax and whilst they were slower off the block - they eventually defaulted and sold on to Wescott. They even backdated the default when I pressed them for it. From what I've read on here lately it seems that a lot of creditors (particularly banks and building societies) are defaulting much quicker and accept whatever payment plan is offered; eventually selling on so they no longer have to deal with the debt.
  • Hi all,

I'm currently in a DMP with StepChange and have paid off £20k so far and have about 5 years left to pay, I currently owe about £28K across 5 lenders.

Barclaycard (Now with Link Financial Services) £3200
    Virgin £5700
    Nationwide £2100
    NatWest (Now with Westcot) £11000
    Sainsburys £6000

I have received £2K recently that I'd like to use to make full and final settlement offers to a couple of my creditors to reduce what I owe and also to reduce the amount I'm paying monthly on my DMP.

I spoke to StepChange and they have advised me that I can't clear off some debts without annoying the other creditors I owe money to. They have said that the creditors I dont pay may feel that I am not treating all my debts fairly and may cancel the agreement I have in place with them.

I'm really not sure what to do or how to approach this as I really woul like to get myself debt free as soon as I can but I cant afford to make a F&F settlement offer to them all.

Any advice would be really appreciated

Thanks
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    btoTHeg wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm currently in a DMP with StepChange and have paid off £20k so far and have about 5 years left to pay, I currently owe about £28K across 5 lenders.

Barclaycard (Now with Link Financial Services) £3200
    Virgin £5700
    Nationwide £2100
    NatWest (Now with Westcot) £11000
    Sainsburys £6000

I have received £2K recently that I'd like to use to make full and final settlement offers to a couple of my creditors to reduce what I owe and also to reduce the amount I'm paying monthly on my DMP.

I spoke to StepChange and they have advised me that I can't clear off some debts without annoying the other creditors I owe money to. They have said that the creditors I dont pay may feel that I am not treating all my debts fairly and may cancel the agreement I have in place with them.

I'm really not sure what to do or how to approach this as I really woul like to get myself debt free as soon as I can but I cant afford to make a F&F settlement offer to them all.

Any advice would be really appreciated

Thanks

Hi,

Best not to involve your DMP provider in these matters, thats always the response you will get.

Realistically the only account you will be able to clear with 2k is the Nationwide account, make a full and final offer to them, using the National Debt-line template letter (available from there website).

If its accepted, get them to confirm it wont be chased again, in writing, pay them, then just ask stepchange to remove them from your DMP.

Thats how others approach this.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thanks for the good advice Sourcrates, when I get StepChange to remove the debt can I also get them to reduce the direct debit payment I'm making to them?

I'm currently paying £489 a month and Nationwide is £49 of that, from experience do others drop their monthly payment or leave as is?

Thanks again
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    btoTHeg wrote: »
    Thanks for the good advice Sourcrates, when I get StepChange to remove the debt can I also get them to reduce the direct debit payment I'm making to them?

I'm currently paying £489 a month and Nationwide is £49 of that, from experience do others drop their monthly payment or leave as is?

Thanks again

Stepchange are just the service provider of your DMP, they are a debt charity, not a regulatory body, if you want to lower your payment, you tell them that you want to lower your payment.

The DMP is yours, all they do is act as a 3rd party, passing on your payments to your creditors, you are the one in charge.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure