Ryanair cancelling up to 50 flights a day

ManAtHome
ManAtHome Posts: 8,512
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
MoneySavingExpert Insert October 2017:

You might also like to read our Ryanair wrongly denies passenger compensation for cancelled flight news story

Back to ManAtHome's original forum post...

Just seen this on NewsNow
Ryanair is to cancel up to 50 flights a day for the next six weeks.
The carrier says the cancellations up to the end of October are because of a backlog in the annual leave of staff.
More details http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/--806174.html

and https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-flight-cancellations-what-you-need-to-know-1.3222837

Comments

• 'Effin ridiculous!!! I've vowed never to use Ryanair in the past, mainly because they have so much bad press but also because their CEO is a prize %*#@... I did however succumb recently and it was ok but my flight was loaded up with so many extras it turned into a false economy.

I'm flying to London next Monday, as usual for work, only this time I've decided to take the family with me. £119 for for of us to Stansted, nice! Booked weeks ago, only to be told 4 days before flying that our flight has been cancelled. They've offered to rebook or refund but they've told us so late that we've had to pay £200 more for a replacement flight.

It's no bloody good giving me my money back when I'm a further £200 out of pocket thanks to them. Wouldn't mind if there was a geniune reason. I look after 600 staff and we control our holidays across the fulle year, we know everyone's entitlement and competently, we plan accordingly. What rights do I have? Presumably none. Let's start a petition for these bunch of muppets. Let's seek punitive action for quite frankly treating their customers like dogs and assuming it's just ok to do this type of thing. Thank goodness for brexit. With any luck, the one good thing that has come out of that @&*#'s mouth is their threat to stop flying to Europe. Good, no loss there.
  • korky69
    korky69 Posts: 525 Forumite
    it appears they are already claiming it's out of their control reading their twitter page so will be trying to issue refunds or re-booking only which suits them, be nice if a legal eagle on here can offer some advice on those who have already paid for hotels, transfers, parking, car hire if they are 100% liable for those losses if refunds aren't available from the others.
    it is their own fault for not planning their own staffs leave correctly, it's like me asking for a refund because i now have to work, would i get a refund off ryanair? no!
    they should at least inform us of every affected flight now to give us time to limit the damage instead of a few days notice.
    this could be one of the worst stunts they've ever pulled off and will be ideal if they're liable for compensation,which would cost them a fortune, though i feel it'll be written in their t&c somewhere they can do this
  • EU law says they are obliged to reroute you.It doesn't have to be on Ryanair,however they will try to steer you that way.
  • This is an excellent solution to their punctuality problem. If you don't fly a plane it can't be late.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,352
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    This is an excellent solution to their punctuality problem. If you don't fly a plane it can't be late.

I thought their punctuality was pretty good or has that changed
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    They can't fill the planes, it's money saving.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    richardw wrote: »
    They can't fill the planes, it's money saving.

My thoughts exactly, nothing to do with 'staff holidays'

Well, lets hope all those airports they have cancelled flights to take this fiasco in to account when allocating slots next year.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • photome wrote: »
    I thought their punctuality was pretty good or has that changed

Ryanair’s on-time performance has declined from 90% to under 80% over the past two weeks.
  • It wouldn't be so bad if they would say which flights are cancelled now instead of leaving to a couple of days before, we're flying with them in 2 weeks do we wait and see or cancel now and book elsewhere
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Those who are abroad and their return flight has been cancelled have the inconvenience of changing accommodation as I doubt the hotel, rented villa etc will allow them to stay longer than their original booked dates as someone is using the room and villa - unless the new party are flying with RA and their flights are cancelled.

My work has staffing issues for some weeks through annual leave, maternity leave and long term sickness. Did we need to close? No.

I think with flying, there is a minimum passengers:flight crew ratio for safety reasons.

It's very poor to let passengers that their flight has been cancelled the day before the flight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure