PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Urgent advice need please regarding Source of deposit

Options
We are buying property cost £15000. We already got mortgage offer of £12000. So we have to pay £30000 deposit. Now solicitor asking to provide source of funds with 6 month statement of each account from where we are paying deposit. All the deposit we are paying from our savings & employment earnings. But here one thing I am bit of concern. Two years ago I gave 2400 loan to one of my local my close friend, who gave this money back this month by bank transfer to my account. As it is my money which was given to loan to my friend and got it back to my bank account.
I don’t want to show it as a gift money because it is my money which I got back. Do you think solicitor will be fine with it, if I verbally explain this thing to him? My friend is happy to give written letter that he took loan this amount from me and given it back to my account. He also happy to provide his ID, his payslip and bank statement. Please kindly suggest what should I do?

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Check with your solicitor as that is the only way you will know, we don't know the lender nor your solicitors money laundering policies.

Be honest and see what your solicitor says
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have a record of the money being transferred to your friend I expect that will help. But as above, ask your solicitor!
  • elliemet23
    Options
    Morning!

We had a similar situation as I had loaned my sister some money... She had to write a letter to the mortgage provider to say that the money she had paid back is non refundable and can be used in anyway you see fit.

As long as they know you arent going to paying your friend back like a loan, they arent bothered :)

Hope this helps, good luck!

xxx
    27th October - £1008.86 owed
    24th November - £987.02 owed
    Bloody interest :mad::eek:
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you've missed a 0 in some of those numbers. Assuming you mean £150k property with £30k deposit? Is the loan repaid by the friend £2.4k or £24k?

Definitely ask your solicitor what they will require, but I'd expect they'd want more clarification if its £24k as that'd be 80% of your deposit. £2.4k is likely negligible enough.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    dreamtrue wrote: »
    We are buying property cost £15000. We already got mortgage offer of £12000. So we have to pay £30000 deposit. Now solicitor asking to provide source of funds with 6 month statement of each account from where we are paying deposit. All the deposit we are paying from our savings & employment earnings. But here one thing I am bit of concern. Two years ago I gave 2400 loan to one of my local my close friend, who gave this money back this month by bank transfer to my account. As it is my money which was given to loan to my friend and got it back to my bank account.
    I don’t want to show it as a gift money because it is my money which I got back. Do you think solicitor will be fine with it, if I verbally explain this thing to him? My friend is happy to give written letter that he took loan this amount from me and given it back to my account. He also happy to provide his ID, his payslip and bank statement. Please kindly suggest what should I do?
    Why would this be an issue at all? You simply provide the paperwork you signed when you loaned him the money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure