removing excess phone sockets - who can do that?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 September 2017 at 2:57PM
    But I've got to put something in A and B surely?

No, not that I'm aware of anyway. What's the rest of the box look like?

Edit: sorry, ignore that, just connect to A & B, 2 & 5 are used for extensions.
  • No, not that I'm aware of anyway. What's the rest of the box look like?

Is this why the box from the back bedroom didn't work? I was putting the white/blue and blue/white in the A and B slots and only the wires from the extension to the next socket into the numbered slots...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 September 2017 at 7:13PM
    Is this why the box from the back bedroom didn't work? I was putting the white/blue and blue/white in the A and B slots and only the wires from the extension to the next socket into the numbered slots...

Sorry, I edited my post after realising I shouldn't post anything within ten minutes of waking up :(

The A & B terminals are for the incoming main line which should be touched by BT only ;) and are more hidden. The 2 & 5 pins are more easily accessible so that the consumer can add their own extensions. It may work anyway connecting straight to 2 & 5 but you may as well do it right and connect A & B.
  • Sorry, I edited my post after realising I shouldn't post anything within ten minutes of waking up :(

The A & B terminals are for the incoming main line which should be touched by BT only ;) and are more hidden. The 2 & 5 pins are more easily accessible so that the consumer can add their own extensions. It may work anyway connecting straight to " & 5 but you may as well do it right and connect A & B.

Haha! Phew. Okay, so they don't mention the A & B in that way in these instructions because I shouldn't be touching them..?
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    yeah I guess that is the reason.

The wires should be connected to AB terminals in the top left of the picture.

The others terminals 2 & 5 & 3 are for other sockets down stream
  • AndyPK
    When you tried the old socket with the large screw terminals, did you strip the coating off the wire to metal ?
  • AndyPK wrote: »
    When you tried the old socket with the large screw terminals, did you strip the coating off the wire to metal ?

No - was I supposed to?
  • AndyPK
    yeah, athough I guess there would have been some metal showing

Did you purchase the metal tool ? or get a free plastic one with the box ?
  • wallofbeans
    wallofbeans Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 13 September 2017 at 6:30PM
    AndyPK wrote: »
    yeah, athough I guess there would have been some metal showing

Did you purchase the metal tool ? or get a free plastic one with the box ?

Ah, this is very confusing. I thought I wasn't supposed to strip the coating from the wires.
    Or is that I'm not supposed to strip it when using the press in connectors, but am supposed to when using the screw in terminals??

And yes, I got a plastic one in the box.

So there are no screw in terminals on this new master socket.. so no stripping of wires required..?
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    No, just push them in with the tool
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business