Woodford apologises for performance

Options

Comments

• Glen_Clark
    Options
    I guess when Woodford/Buffet makes a bad investment - its news.
    Wheras when others make a bad investment - we seldom hear of it.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Zola. wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/09/06/neil-woodford-right-criticised-sorry/

Another case for following the passive path and not chasing last year's fashionable star fund manager ?
    Audaxer wrote: »
    This surely strengthens the argument for passive investing, as it seems from this that it is very difficult to choose active funds and managers that consistently beat the market.
    It's easy:

When a truly active fund beats an index tracker fans say "it might not continue to happen, buy trackers".
    When a truly active fund does less well than an index, even though trackers always do, they say "trackers beat actives, buy trackers".
    Then there are the times when the active fund beats the relevant index and tracker fans say it's underperformed and you should buy the tracker instead, as in this case.

The easy bit: active funds aren't trackers. They are supposed to behave differently. But like a stuck clock, whatever time it is, the tracker fan clock is saying buy trackers. All that changes is the news of the day that they can latch on to to say "buy trackers"

Woodford funds underperformed indexes during the dotcom boom and during the pre financial crisis years because he avoided tech then financials. Worked well. Likely that what he's doing will continue to be good but what it won't do is track an index. If you want a tracker don't buy his funds, his job is to not track an index.
  • Fatbritabroad
    Options
    talexuser wrote: »
    Obviously no one remembers what is was like sticking with him through the tech boom and credit crunch.

Still, past performance is not an indicator blah blah blah.
    I was going to say it's not like he hasn't been here before I'm not sure why he's apologising he's never been a short term view in any event
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Options
    Tracker fans don't like him because he is the living proof that an active manager can beat a tracker in the same general area over a long time.

The fact that you can't name that many others from all the managers available is the reason for having trackers, but trying to say Woodford did not make you far richer in the long term is frankly ludicrous.
  • NotSkint
    Options
    I was going to say it's not like he hasn't been here before I'm not sure why he's apologising he's never been a short term view in any event

In this Internet age it is very easy to give "opinions" and there are certainly many negative comments on his own blog.
    Reading such, I do think that there are many that are investing that shouldn't be in the search of return.
    I personally hold some Woodford as part of a diversified portfolio and keep my allocation to his equity income fund at around 10%, whilst having an overall UK allocation of approx 30%.
    His so called "underperformance" has hardly registered, and I took the opportunity to rebalance when the provident share price drop caused a 3ish % drop.
    I think many invest above their risk profile, or hold too short a term view.
    I don't really don't know why he apologised either.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Because everyone's apologising nowadays. It's the new hip trend. Politicians apologise for not abolishing tuition fees. Paul Hollywood apologises for going to a fancy dress party as General Von Klinkerhoffen 14 years ago. Woodford apologises because his fund's fallen in value.

Back in þe olden days, people only took offence if you did something to offend them directly, like insult their wife or steal their cattle, and consequently people cared about "losing face" and an apology was a major deal that usually had to be extracted at swordpoint. But now people take offence at absolutely everything, and the currency of apology is degraded along with it. If you do something to upset Twitter you get your PR rep to issue an apology and get on with what you were doing.

The answer to the question "why did Woodford apologise" is "why not?" It costs him nothing. He could say "I had good reasons to invest in these shares, I believe they'll come good and I apologise for nothing" but it would just get him dropped by even more fund pickers. It's clear they aren't interested in people who have the courage of their convictions or they wouldn't say "Woodford's the man for the long term" one minute and "Sell Woodford, he's underperformed" the next.
  • dividendhero
    Options
    One problem with apologising...in today's culture, a string of compo claim often follows
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    talexuser wrote: »
    an active manager can beat a tracker in the same general area over a long time.
    Yes but how do you pick the winning active managers in advance - without the benefit of hindsight?
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    One problem with apologising...in today's culture, a string of compo claim often follows

Not gonna happen with all the factsheets/KIIDs/T&Cs investors have to agree to as part of investing into the fund.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Options
    Tony Blair isn't apologising, maybe it would just take too long....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure