What small DFW things will you do this week? w/c 4 September

Comments

• My latest splurge was on a bellabeat - mum halved in with me so it *only* cost me £56.99. Anyway, so far I prefer it to my fitbit (which I got for free so it's not like that was a wasted purchase ;)), I can wear my regular watch that I love and my necklace buzzes if I don't move every hour - that'll keep me going today as I'm quite enjoying my current sofa set up... :rotfl:

I've had 3 buzzes so far this morning.. Must go turn off that feature :rotfl:

Oooh, I like your style CCL - defo take it easy and then a nice little nap - sounds perfect! ;)
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm waiting for the carpenter, he's late, and I've been up since 9am, on a Saturday!

Once he arrives and I'm sure he knows exactly what I want I'm going to take myself upstairs to do some ironing and clothes putting away.

I popped to the shop earlier for some crumpets for breakfast/bin liners etc and managed to pay for it all with the last of the change from my boot sale. I never usually carry cash but this has allowed me to give my card a bit of a rest :D

I hope the carpenter doesn't take too long, he said half a day but if he can get it done in a couple of hours I'll be delighted, I can then paint it (I have some duck egg blue paint in garden store left by previous owners.) Tomorrow I should be able to set the computer back up and get a bit organised.

Have a good Saturday everyone!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,092 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Dawn/DNMS,
    I've been thinking quite a lot about the Challenge & why NSDs don't seem to be much of a motivator for me on the money-saving front. Before the LBM (I was a naughty spendy girl for many, many years....), the concept of a NSD would have been incredible......defo only would have happened if I was too physically poorly to get to the shops, like if I had flu or anything! I've thought about NSDs as a motivator so much this last few days, it's almost become like an essay question: "The NSD is a highly useful money-saving tool - Discuss". I'm going to stay in the September Challenge because I needed re-focussing & it's definitely helping with that. However, I won't hit that NSD target, mostly because I'm not really trying as my budgeting/money ethos doesn't really hinge on how many NSDs I have but on how effectively I stick to my budgets over the course of a month. So, on 27th Aug, I set our September budget. If we stick to each & every pot of money within that overall budget during September, then we will be ok & finish with a surplus. Although mr f & I are vastly reformed characters these days, there have been quite a few little things creeping in where I've said " Oh, let's stick it on visa debit.....our account can stand it". And that's true. I wouldn't say it if it would make us overdrawn, but what happens is that our surplus, the 'cushion' of money I leave there each month for emergencies, is eroded by stuff we didn't really need, or which could have waited until the next month's budget. So, I have no problem spending some money every day AS LONG AS it has already been committed to the relevant budget. The September Challenge is definitely helping re-focus me, but I think that for October, I will set a personal challenge for our own household budget that after I have set the figures for each part of the budget......groceries, personal spends, etc, then NO additional money will be spent, so as to maximise surplus for rebuilding savings (badly hit by some remedial building work, a new washing machine & vacuum). I think i could be quite strict with this. It's easy just to spend £3 or £4 on a little craft spend or a little bit of a vintage item from the charity shop, but they do add up, so for October, I will abandon any target for NSDs & kind of work my own system. Interesting to read that you are both feeling kind of similar with the NSDs. I am staying with the challenge though, as other parts of it are helping.......am a bit wobbly over the £10 beauty spend, but doing ok & sticking to it!
    Better kick my list on now.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,092 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Hello Saturday Savers,
    Quite a good day today. Having said that, we are treating ourselves to a takeaway tonight......an 'end of holiday' treat. Zero effect on bank account though as we both agreed that if we were to have one, we would each kick in the relevant money from our Personal Spends. Anyway, here's today's little wins:
    *Got the last few groceries for the week ahead - still £5 under this week's budget.
    *Did a few surveys.
    *Paid in a cheque.
    *Used 1 kg of our homegrown tomatoes to make soup for lunch - froze 4 extra portions.
    *Golden lentil soup currently in the slow cooker, using up some ham stock found while defrosting the ice-monster's home yesterday.
    *Did a load of laundry overnight on cheap tariff. No chance of line-drying with all the showers today, so gave it a morning on the heated airer to start drying for free before switching it on to do the job properly.
    *Paid 2 more 50ps into my sealed pot & rounded up small change for shrapnel jar.
    *Updated grocery budget sheet, which lives in the front of my diary along with the meal plans.
    *Moved some funds around to keep other budgets straight.
    *Energy bill arrived......we are in credit, but I'm not sure why it says that it's a 'replacement bill'. Will investigate this when I have more time.
    *Water greenhouse veggies - I'm off to do this next. Everything's getting to the end in there now, but I am still picking tomatoes, peppers, chillies, basil & grapes, so it's worth keeping it all happy.
    *Knit for craft stall. Will defo do this tonight. I can knit socks without looking at the pattern, so will be able to watch something good on TV too, or maybe start a boxset or something. Life is very stressful at the moment with my Dad so poorly, so I'm trying to do something relaxing in the evenings to try to stop my brain going round in circles over stuff I simply can't change.
    OK, off to the greenhouse. Have a nice evening all.
    F xx
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Hello,

Had a good few days

Popped to the cinema with DD £2.50 at our local cinema, compared with £11.50 at the multiplex. Two people parking drinks and Sweets all for under tenner and supported a local business too.

Picked up 4 packs of lean minced beef for 95p each in reduced section and a chicken breast in sauce, filled the freezer.

Read the meters to ensure accurate billing, although it is cold here so I have put the heating on.

Surveys ongoing for Christmas spending money.

Agreed a start date for new job, one more week of being a lady of leisure and long list of jobs to do.
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Evenin' kidz :wave:

Wow, 1LL - that's some weight loss :T

I had a more productiveday than I originally thought. :)

Tackled the conservatory - wow, what a lot to do... I'll need to post a before and after (when I get there!) as you wouldn't believe it! :o

Walked the dog - free exercise and all that ;)

Need to chop up some YS lemons (35p for 4) that I got yesterday for the freezer - the only way I have lemons in the house these days. :T

WM on quick wash; drying on airer rather than TD ;)

OH got home early so he's cooking tonight ;)

Just watching TV and drinking some vino now. Might read my free ebook later.

Can't actually think of any more of that 'productive' stuff I mentioned earlier :rotfl:

xx
  • Morning all :coffee: :hello:
    Yesterday went as planned - I didn't even leave the house :p It was nice, bestie came over for coffee and a catch up (and a slob on the new sofa) and then the boys went to watch Sunderland lose at football (nothing ever changes there). I sat on my bum and watched tv with dd and did a load of crochet, which was lovely. Mr T brought the big shop, with £4.65 taken off in brand match savings. Happy days.
    Today has to include a bit of school work unfortunately but I did have the day off yesterday. Hopefully it will only be an hour or two. I'm also going to visit my mam for a catch up - going to take my crochet with me to do as I have a lot to do between now and Christmas and I don't want to stress out.
    1LL - congratulations on the new you. It must be such a good feeling to buy clothes in a smaller size. I hope to get there one day.
    Foxgloves - I desperately need some of your love of growing and cooking food. I bet your food tastes amazing. I wish I could find a love for it.
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 September 2017 at 9:24AM
    Hi All,

Had a lovely holiday...and now back to trying to sort out Housing-ma-geddon:

Debt Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Added more of our unwanted things to Freecycle. Why do people say they'll come and collect stuff and then pull out or not show up? :mad:

* Viewing a flat to rent in the next town to fix housing problem. Taking a list of questions with me. We're viewing another tomorrow. I think I would prefer Property A and DW would prefer Property B.

* Using up what's in the freezer.

* Try to keep my emotions under control and try and just keep moving forward. :(

Onwards and upwards.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Morning 1LL & cat :) and everyone else who comes along. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh day 2 of 3 days off. We're off out to a working farm with a play park with friends shortly. It's free to go and I'll take snacks and drinks ;) (although they ask you not to :o)

Will check tyre pressure

Will go to the allotment for a bit. Need to get on top of it! Might beg oh to come as well as always get a lot done when he's there.

School uniform drying on line. It's set to drizzle lightly around 2 so must get it in then!

All meals from stores - meat(less)balls for dinner. Make extra for oh's lunch tomorrow

bake apple cake & courgette cake & freeze some

make batch of courgette curry ala Mrs F :)

list some items on fleabay

games this afternoon/evening

exercise for free :cool:

Ok that'll do! Happy Sunday guys :A
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • My dentist told me I looked like Nanny McPhee

Your dentist is a cheeky £$%^

I'm sure that he is a veritable Adonis :mad:

I'm also sure that you are very beautiful just as you are. Clearly your hubby thinks so.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts