When will £1GBP be worth 1.20 Euros?

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    So the best thing to do would be to accept that, and remain in the EU until we can have a properly informed vote.

By which you presumably mean that only the government and other pro-EU organisations will be allowed to lie through their teeth, and anybody ignoring the propaganda and deciding to vote in accordance with their beliefs will be declared mentally incompetent and barred from voting.

In which case, why bother with a vote, let's go back to the old system of the political elite making all the decisions and telling the plebs there is no other option and it is all being done in the best interests of the country.

The same political elite who desperately wanted the UK to join the Euro, regardless of the economic chaos it caused.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    EachPenny wrote: »
    By which you presumably mean that only the government and other pro-EU organisations will be allowed to lie through their teeth, and anybody ignoring the propaganda and deciding to vote in accordance with their beliefs will be declared mentally incompetent and barred from voting.

In which case, why bother with a vote, let's go back to the old system of the political elite making all the decisions and telling the plebs there is no other option and it is all being done in the best interests of the country.

The same political elite who desperately wanted the UK to join the Euro, regardless of the economic chaos it caused.
    Actually the political elite want to leave the EU to get control back for themselves.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    Actually the political elite want to leave the EU to get control back for themselves.

Which political elite are you talking about then? The only person who even comes close to your description is Farage, and even that is a stretch to describe him as 'elite'.

Which party leaders and frontbenchers have openly campaigned to 'get control back for themselves' in the last 20 years?
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,596 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Which political elite are you talking about then? The only person who even comes close to your description is Farage, and even that is a stretch to describe him as 'elite'.

As a rich ex investment banker I think it's quite appropriate to describe him as an elite, he's done a wonderful job of hiding his past, pretending to be a man of the people downing a pint yet switching to bottles of claret as soon as the cameras go.

But the main elites behind it are the likes of the non-dom newspaper barons who print such bile while paying no/little tax in UK and trying to ensure things stay that way.

In terms of politicians the likes of Davis and Fox have both been campaigning and consistent unlike ones like Boris
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I would add Redwood, Duncan Smith, Cash etc who have been anti EU consistently and seem to hark back to some kind of low regulation era in the past that they think was better than now. Ironically the hard left of Labour are just as anti EU because they see it as a capitalist bulwark against a Soviet style utopia they imagine is possible despite all the lessons of history.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    jimjames wrote: »
    In terms of politicians the likes of Davis and Fox have both been campaigning and consistent unlike ones like Boris
    talexuser wrote: »
    I would add Redwood, Duncan Smith, Cash etc who have been anti EU consistently...

But none of these, with the exception of Fox perhaps, would be recognised as 'political elites' in the way Blair, Brown, Mandelson, Kinnock(s), Cameron (and those that closely surround them) would be. They are the ones who have been driving the UK's relationship with the EU for the last 20 years... Farage, Redwood, IDS, Cash etc have just been making noise on the sidelines without many people taking much notice.

Anyway, this is straying into 'Discussion Time' territory. I'm happy to discuss further over there instead :)
  • talexuser wrote: »
    I would add Redwood, Duncan Smith, Cash etc who have been anti EU consistently and seem to hark back to some kind of low regulation era in the past that they think was better than now.

They hark back to the 1950's - guess it's an improvement over the ludicrous figure of Jacob Rees-Mogg who's more of an 18th century kind of guy
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    ColdIron wrote: »
    Indeed, I wonder how many could name just 3 of the 7 presidents of the European Union (without googling) or even the institutions that they are presidents of

In discussing currencies. Perhaps naming the year that the UK last recorded a balance of trade surplus would be more apt. Far to easy to nail a belief to a flag. Rather than get to grips with the hard facts.
  • Thrugelmir wrote: »
    In discussing currencies. Perhaps naming the year that the UK last recorded a balance of trade surplus would be more apt..

1998 - do I win 5 Euros? :j

I'm sure once "free of the shackles of Bwussels", the UK will soon be back in surplus - by exporting Dyson vacuums made in Malaysia....
  • There wasnt all this fuss when we voted to join the common market in 1975, the leavers accepted the will of the people.
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX :D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure