Aldi to run paper and compostable bag trial across all stores

Aldi will be launching a trial of paper and compostable carrier bags across its stores, after it stopped selling 5p plastic bags earlier this year...
Read the full story:
'Aldi to run paper and compostable bag trial across all stores'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

203846930 Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Do people still even buy bags anymore?
    You would think that people would have switched to 'bags for life' or keep a container in the back of the car like dad does.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You would think that people would have switched to 'bags for life' or keep a container in the back of the car like dad does.

Friend works for one of the big 4 supermarket chains and sees the same customers coming in without bags - probably never reused a bag in their lives. Another friend lives in flats with communal bins and often sees supermarket and other retailers - Wilko, Poundland etc bags for life as rubbish bags all clearly new looking. Obviously these tenants got more money than sense as bin bags are cheaper than bags for life.
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic

Combination of lots of things I suppose

Lazyiness to adapt

Impluse shopping while out/during lunch hour etc - My daughter is one of these, I tell her to get a reusable one but she doesn't often have a bag with her to carry a bag IFYSWIM

Don't have the car with them so forget to bring them
    etc etc

Shops shouldn't have the plastic bags to buy full stop then people would have to change, my mum's generation didn't have them and we are going that way again - for the better

I love my string bags that I have had for years, handy things they are
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• JRjunior
    JRjunior Posts: 6 Forumite
    I Just take my own bags anyway
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    tboo wrote: »
    Combination of lots of things I suppose

Lazyiness to adapt
    Shops shouldn't have the plastic bags to buy full stop then people would have to change, my mum's generation didn't have them and we are going that way again - for the better
    I love my string bags that I have had for years, handy things they are

Spot on I have always taken my own bags when shopping even before they started asking folk to pay for them It's just easier if you have your own bags. When I was a little girl many,many moons ago back in the 1940s if you didn't take a string bag with you to the shops you may have missed the opportunity to buy something as rationing was still on then

The odd times you had to buy a brown paper carrier bag (2d) it was reused until it almost fell apart then was used as a fire lighter, nothing was ever wasted back then :)
  • Ha ha I remember those string bags! The more veg you bought, the heavier they got and consequently stretched! By the time you got home they were almost trailing on the floor!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure