New Site Charity Nominations Now Open

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Money Saving Expert
The charity nominations are closed now. Thanks to everyone who's nominated. Look out for the poll which will be in the email in a couple of week's time :)

Nominations for this site's charities fund are now open.
Please carefully read the instructions before nominating
What is the MoneySavingExpert.com Charity Fund?

This is money donated by this site to charities nominated, short-listed and selected by site users.

This site has, what I call, a 'not driven by profits' ethical ethos which means, nothing is ever written unless it is genuinely believed to be the best way to help people save money.

Yet that doesn't mean it doesn't make money. The sheer scale of the site and near 1 million users a month, means there is cash, and I like to put as much as I can towards doing some good (after I've paid the MoneySaving team, expenses, and myself).

More info: 'How this site is Funded'
More info:
Previous years' charity funds
There are a number of changes this year

Over the years, the size of the fund has grown, over £100,000 might be donated this year (Oct to Oct) thus there's an opportunity to expand the remit.
  • Only a third of the money is going to the nominated charities. In the past all the money went to the charities. This year the MSE Charity Fund is being set up as a registered charity in its own right. A third of its money will be going to the five nominated charities.
  • New MSE Charity Fund Specific Projects Grants. The rest of the cash will be available to be distributed at four points during the year as specific grants to charities, indviduals or groups to help educate, inform and empower consumers in the field of money, debt and consumer info. The exact terms of this are still being hacked out, but hopefully you'll get the idea. More details when the charity launches (info will be linked to from the weekly email)
What's the process?

A. You nominate.

Any user of the site (which means anyone of course) can nominate a charity registered in the UK to receive the money. There are four charities to get money. One charity www.re-cycle.org is automatically selected as my pick. It's very small, has been part of the charity fund since the beginning and it relies on the cash - so I have decided to give it an automatic berth

B. Selected site users do a short-list

Five of the site's most regular users (the volunteer board guides) will be asked to short-list 12 charities. The following are the criteria they will be asked to use when short listing.

• Relevance: Charities which are relevant to both the subject base and usership of MoneySavingExpert.com will be given priority.
  • National and International: Roughly two thirds of the selection should be UK based charities and one third overseas/international.
  • Six larger and six smaller. To ensure some smaller charities where the money really makes a difference are included, there will be six large and small charities
C. The Vote.

Nominations end on Saturday 26 August. After that there will be a site vote to select the charities. The top two big and two small charities will then each be given 20% of the total money available (ie a third of the entire fund). The winners will be announced in the weekly e-mail

How to nominate a charity
I'm sorry only UK registered charities are acceptable

i. Click Reply to this post. (If you're not registered on the forum, which is different to signing up to the email, you will have to do so. Of course it's totally free and your email is never used for anything else).

ii. IMPORTANT. Please Include in your nomination.
a. The Official Name of the Charity
b. The Website of the Charity
c. A desciption of no more than 8 words of the charity
d. One paragaph only (max 150 words) of why this charity should be supported.

If a charity has already been nominated, please do not do so again, you can show your support by clicking the 'thank you' button for that post. Also please, no other discussions in this thread, it is purely for nominating.

Whilst you may nominate as many charities as you choose, remember they will be shortlisted, so it makes life easier if you just nominate one.

Martin

A final note. The more users of this site, the more money there is for the charity fund. The best way to get regular users is to recommend people join the distribution list of the free Money Tip. Please recommend it to everyone you know.
threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• me2
    me2 Posts: 52 Forumite
    I would like to nominate The Place2Be a UK children’s charity

It establishes on-site therapeutic and emotional support for children.

The Place2Be gives children in UK primary schools a place where they can express their feelings through talking, creative work and play. It delivers a range of services directly to children and teachers and offers training for volunteers, staff and adults working with children.

The website address is https://www.theplace2be.org.uk

Many thanks in advance

Mark
  • I would like to nominate the nspcc for all the hard work it does in helping children in danger. I already donate to them and i also campaign for them so vote for the nspcc http://www.nspcc.org.uk/html/home/home.htm
    !!!!!!!!Bingo Mad!!!!!!!!:beer:
  • Don't really know what to say but I would like to nominate Cancer Research UK. I know a lot of people with cancer and a lot of my friends have passed away from cancer.

My mother has terminal cancer so this is a main reason I'm nominating this charity

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

20p savers club = £8.00
    £2.00 savers club = £0.00 (£100 banked)

AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0024 come and join us make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the Ebay and other auctions, Car Boot and Jumble Sales Board
  • seaniboy
    seaniboy Posts: 1,435 Forumite
    http://www.mankind.org.uk/

mens domestic abuse is constantly overlooked, I'd like to see real equality & have a service equal to the services/support female victims recieve

What is male abuse?

" Men experience many of the same symptoms and effects of domestic abuse as women, including:
    physical violence - being punched, kicked, slapped, scalded or stabbed
    mental abuse - humiliation in public, isolation from friends and family and enforced financial dependence
    sexual assault.

This abuse can lead to feelings of shame, guilt, isolation and worthlessness. Due to social prejudices, men can find it even harder than women to let other people know that they are being abused and to seek help. You may be afraid that you won't be taken seriously, or that you'll be criticised or even ridiculed for 'letting' your partner abuse you. Many abused men are reluctant to leave the family home in case they are later denied contact with their children "

Refuge website is laughable shameful check out thier 2 pages for male victims

http://www.refuge.org.uk/page_l1-2_l2-0_l3-150_.htm

http://www.refuge.org.uk/page_l1-2_l2-150_l3-156_.htm

£20 gives membership & voting rights to mankind more info here
    http://www.mankind.org.uk/member_form.pdf
    If I helped or saved you money - Thank me
    If I helped you spend some money - spank me
    If I done both - :lipsrseal me:eek:
    :D
    ;)
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,189
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi, I'd like to nominate 2 charities....

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/,
    as they do an awful lot to help people who need financial advice & assistance with debt.

http://www.breakthrough.org.uk/, a Breast Cancer charity, as my mum her sister & their aunt all died of breast cancer, because of them I'm at higher risk & the money they raise goes directly to research & education.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • isgman
    isgman Posts: 490 Forumite
    I would like to Nominate "Alder Hey Childerens Hospital" they do a great job

Communicating with our staff, patients, families and community with up to date, relevant information

Honesty and openness with our ways of working, being transparent in everything we do

Innovation - maintaining and building on our reputation of being at the forefront of paediatric healthcare

Leadership - everyone taking responsibility for improving the way they work

Developing our staff to help them realise their full potential

Respect for children, families and each other, evident through the way we work, in teams, as a team

Energy and enthusiasm - creating a healing, creative and healthy work environment

National pride, demonstrated by our contribution to research and recognition for best practice
    :beer: Keep your Chin up.. it can only get better :beer:
    :confused: I'm one of those people who was born to have money, :confused:
    :confused: but I just don't have any!:confused:
  • I would like to nominate Help the Hospices.

http://www.helpthehospices.org.uk/

I have recently known a few people who have benefitted from the exceptional care that two of our local hospices have given, and it is worth remembering the excellent support that they give to the families at such a difficult time as well.

HTH supports these individual hospices with training, education and fund-raising as well as supporting local charities that provide the care for the individual hospices.
  • squiffy2
    squiffy2 Posts: 70 Forumite
    I would like to recommend :

a)The Multiple Sclerosis Resource Centre.
    b) http://www.msrc.co.uk
    c) The major resource site for UK MS Patients
    d) I think the reasons this charity should be suported are best summed up in their Mission Statement - "The Multiple Sclerosis Resource Centre (MSRC) is a proactive and innovative charity, passionately committed to supporting anyone affected by Multiple Sclerosis through access to unbiased information and advice. Our approach is to encourage individuals to make choices that are appropriate to their daily lives, empowering them to maximise their potential."

The MSRC operate on a shoe-string budget, most of the year in debt, but manage to provide the only 24 hour Freephone MS Counselling Service manned entirely by volunteers, together with the award winning New Pathways magazine which goes to MSers in 26 countries around the world. We are a UK charity but people reach out to us from all over the world for help, support and information, which we think is something rather special.

Any additional money that could be raised for the MSRC would go to help expand the counselling service and also to reach even more people affected by MS.

squiffs.
    MSRC Webmaster and MSer
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Given the nature of this site I would like to nominate a small charity called Credit Action - credit action. - a money education charity.

The people involved in this charity are passionate about helping people learn to manage their finances well and have produced a number of quality resources for use by various groups to introduce them to basic financial management techniques.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • Though I'm not Christian myself, nor do I go to church I've visited the website of this charity and I think they do a lot of good, and they have some very useful information and voluntary services. Plus they're quite relevant to the site!!

Credit Action
    http://www.creditaction.org.uk

They are a charity providing resources to help people manage their money better, cope with debt and they also have volunteers to help locally. They have quite close links to the CCCS as well I believe.

Edit: X-post with Weston Dave oops! Great minds think alike!
    1st LBM (Pre-Career Change): 01 March 2006 Debt Free Date: 28 April 2008 | Worst Debt: £7244.36

2nd LBM: 10 December 2019 Current Debt £25,322 [April 2020] | Worst Debt: £27,444
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure