I think ive been the victim of fraud on Gumtree. Advice please

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right forum - so please move and accept my apologies if it is not correct.

Anyways, after having my iPhone stolen i was looking for a replacement and turned to Gumtree. After a lot of looking, I narrowed down a seller. After a couple of days of communication via email (in which at no point were my suspicions raised at all), the seller gave me his bank details and i transferred the money. He emailed back that night comfirming he had recieved the payment, promising to send it the next morning (this was Sunday 23rd). After that i heard nothing. I have sent a couple of emails and have had no reply. I only have an email address.

Looking back, I was clearly very naive. Is there anything i can do? I bank with First Direct (HSBC) - can i get them to reverse the payment?

Thank you for any advice.

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right forum - so please move and accept my apologies if it is not correct.

Anyways, after having my iPhone stolen i was looking for a replacement and turned to Gumtree. After a lot of looking, I narrowed down a seller. After a couple of days of communication via email (in which at no point were my suspicions raised at all), the seller gave me his bank details and i transferred the money. He emailed back that night comfirming he had recieved the payment, promising to send it the next morning (this was Sunday 23rd). After that i heard nothing. I have sent a couple of emails and have had no reply. I only have an email address.

Looking back, I was clearly very naive. Is there anything i can do? I bank with First Direct (HSBC) - can i get them to reverse the payment?

Yeah, it sounds like you've been done up like a kipper mate.
    Gumtree has a lot of scammers lurking ready to pounce on the naive.

Gumtree even post the following advice specifically about buying a second hand mobile phone advertised through their website.
    Meet with your seller. Never agree to send a seller funds from your bank account ...
    http://blog.gumtree.com/buying-a-second-hand-phone-don%e2%80%99t-get-ripped-off/
  • I do feel really stupid. Is there anything i can do to get my money back? I have the seller's name, email and bank account details. I also have confirmation of my transfer and his email confirming he received it. Thanks
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Hi all,

Hi there - this isn't an area that our CAB representatives are covering at the moment. However, we'd recommend a couple of steps -
    1) getting in touch with the Gumtree website, as they take an interest in making the site safe for people to use. See this page on their site - http://blog.gumtree.com/making-gumtree-safe-for-buyers-and-sellers/
    2) you might also consider reporting this to Action Fraud, especially as this happened over the internet - http://www.actionfraud/
    3) if you need more help or advice, contact our Consumer Helpline - 08454 04 05 06, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

We hope this helps.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • i have been scammed on wed 31st 2012 just 2 days ago a seller posted an ad for an i phone 4s 32gig for 325 as i was lookin for an i phone i went on gumtree first the seller e mailed me then he rang me like 3 times and seemed very genuine we sorted out how i will pay him by posting it to me by special delivery the next day i asked for a tracking number which he completely ignored i rang him so many times but he's phone seems dead the number which he called and texed me from so the basterd conned me so i advice anyone please please do not buy gfrom gumtree pay abit extra and go to a high street shop to buy mobile etc it is terrible being scammed i been so hurt iam made a fool i have been cussing the man all day now
  • DevCoder
    DevCoder Posts: 3,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    So how did you pay him?
  • Colin297
    Colin297 Posts: 111 Forumite
    TS- report to the police!!

You've got his bank details.
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Colin297 wrote: »
    TS- report to the police!!

You've got his bank details.

Which will have been emptied by now.
  • i have been scammed on wed 31st 2012 just 2 days ago a seller posted an ad for an i phone 4s 32gig for 325 as i was lookin for an i phone i went on gumtree first the seller e mailed me then he rang me like 3 times and seemed very genuine we sorted out how i will pay him by posting it to me by special delivery the next day i asked for a tracking number which he completely ignored i rang him so many times but he's phone seems dead the number which he called and texed me from so the basterd conned me so i advice anyone please please do not buy gfrom gumtree pay abit extra and go to a high street shop to buy mobile etc it is terrible being scammed i been so hurt iam made a fool i have been cussing the man all day now

Did he also steal the full stop key from your keyboard??
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport