Ryanair - Comments & Feedback Thread

Options

Comments

• stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This just doesn't make sence. As it was a U.K. internal flight you don't need your passport, just some proper I.D. I assume that because they checked in on line and had boarding cards with them their first stop would have been passport control, nothing to do with Ryanair, were they allowed through? Do I understand that as you say the "gate" it was when they were just about to board the plane thst they were refused. I have never done on line check in with them, is it a stipulation that your passport number has to be on the boarding card?
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • BusinessStudent
    Options
    I've been to Belfast, Rome, Krakow and Berlin with Ryanair and have had no problems with them at all! I love the "Ryanair scrum" - whereby passengers run to the plane in order to get a seat :rotfl:
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    If they had gone to the Ryanair desk, they would/ should have reprinted the passes. Saying that, I flew with them myself two weeks ago, and have done online check in for someone for three return flights in the past month, and not had a problem.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    I've been to Belfast, Rome, Krakow and Berlin with Ryanair and have had no problems with them at all! I love the "Ryanair scrum" - whereby passengers run to the plane in order to get a seat :rotfl:

I just misread that as 'Ryanair scum'! ;)
    Gone ... or have I?
  • poppie123
    Options
    We had a problem with our printed online check in bit of paper coming back from Dublin. They would not scan going through security because the ink was too dark.
    It wasn't a problem though we were told to go to the ryan air desk and they would just print off boarding cards which they did.
  • SpecialK84
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies guys, this really did happen!

I know you shouldn't need a passport for UK flights (I am a frquent flyer to Edinburgh with Easyjet and have never had any problems!), but apparently Ryan Air just like to be different. On the terms and conditions that come through with the confirmation number it doesn't specify that you need to have passport details on your printed boarding pass (only indicates requirements for travelling to Spain).

With the printed online boarding passes they have a barcode that is scanned going through security - they had no problems there! It was only actually at the boarding gates where they were refused by to fly by the Ryan Air staff (like I said they weren't the only ones refused!). It didn't seem to matter that they both had their passports with them.

They were told that that they could've got the boarding passes reprinted at the Ryan Air desk prior to security, but as the flight was already 1 hour late, they weren't given any opportunity to do this and were point blank refused.

The internet support contact I called said that the passes shouldn't have been printed without the details (as with most internet pages if the necessary fields have not been completed you are not able to proceed), but as the details were actually entered the passes still printed, it was just an error in the system resulted in the details not being captured !
  • nico26
    nico26 Posts: 823 Forumite
    Options
    poppie123 wrote: »
    We had a problem with our printed online check in bit of paper coming back from Dublin. They would not scan going through security because the ink was too dark.
    It wasn't a problem though we were told to go to the ryan air desk and they would just print off boarding cards which they did.

Ive had this problem as well the scanner cannot read the pass and had to go back to check in but they printed it out again for me..Security told me to go a fast track desk then to recheck as I'd already waited 20mins . So should not have been a problem to get reprinted.This was at Stanstead.
  • SpecialK84
    Options
    There wasn't a problem at security! Everthing was fine. It was just at the boarding gate. Could not get pass re printed as plane was 1 hour late and check in had closed.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Perhaps there should be an option to generate the pass as a pdf file.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • TimothyEBaldwin
    Options
    For all of my trips for which a Ryanair route is plausible I did look at what it would cost to fly:

Selby - Barcelona depart 21st June 2006 returning 1st July 2006, Train fare £332.50 booked 10 days in advance. I don't recall what the air fare was, but a journey booked now with Ryanair (in Winter) on the same days of the week costs £303.43, when travel to/from the airport and additional accommodation is included.

York - Berlin return, Train fare £200 a few weeks in advance. Ryanair had the cheapest flights, but with train + bus fare to East Midlands Airport and a night in an airport hotel came to more than £200.

Glasgow - London, Ryanair was the cheapest airline with a £10 fare. But with an extra night's accommodation would cost about £20, and Ryanair's flight would not fit in the avaible time. The sleeper train fare was £29 from First Scotrail.

Selby - Berlin return, departing Boxing Day arriving by 9am 27th December. I found no flights to Berlin reachable by public transport from places near Selby.

York - Berlin, departing Christmas Eve after a Christmas Party, No flight from UK reachable by public transport found.

Summary: Trains: 4, Train + National Express Coach 1, Airlines 0

For the hypothetical journeys by a UK tourist with time to visit Paris (and Milian) on-route, Oxenholme Lake District Station - Barcelona and London - Bari, Ryanair also loses to the trains.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure