MoneySavingExpert.com Cheap Train Tickets Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Only reason that martin links to them is that he gets commission on them. He doesnt get such a commission on the other 'no booking fee' companies.

The above is a nasty slur and incorrect.

The reason they're linked to is that in many ways they provide an easier alternate route for researching tickets. The article very specifically and deliberately says that the cheapest way to book is via going direct through local ticket agencies and recommends people do that... I quote from the guide...

"Don’t pay unnecessary booking fees

Booking direct at a station or via the rail company’s own website is usually cheapest as there’s no booking fee; plus you may also find some extra online discounts.

If you're using the booking sites, the Trainline charges a flat £2.50 fee on credit card payments; though it does also add £1 travel insurance by default, so do un-check the box if you don't want it. Raileasy, on the other hand, charges a £1 booking fee on every purchase, plus a 50p debit card fee and 2.5% for credit cards.
    Overall this means of the two, the Trainline is cheapest for debit card bookings or credit card payments over £60, whereas Raileasy wins for credit card bookings under £60."

Why are they in ?

The revenue gleaned from those affiliate links is frankly negligible - and even if it wasn't, as on all things on the site I don't recommend things for revenue reasons. Many people use those sites - and like them - they are thus included. More importantly by including them I get to EXPLAIN the costs of them and that you are paying more.

More importantly we are in the midst of pushing and trying to work with some of the booking companies to try and get a split ticket generator - this is impossible by ourselves and is something i think will generally help everyone. By keeping the ticket agencies in the article is useful for maintaining influence and weight to push that project along.

Within the 'main tricks' section - they're only mentioned (which is rare) when they provide an easier way to find the discounted tickets...

What about the 'First Great Western same as trainline'

Thanks for thsi... we're looking at it the idea that it provides the same service as the train line but no fee' agencies - the problem being that when we try it some of the cheaper ticket routes seem to not be included when they are on the trainline.

I've got questions in with FGW but sadly a derailment this week means the press office is slow to coming back to us and I await finding out exactly how it works, before adding it into the article.

As a general note, when we publish a new article (as this is, its a rewritten reresearched guide) one of my priorities is to read people's feedback and suggestions; as we want to make it as good as it can be. I've done that here... and thank you for the many good suggestions - I am slightly pee'd off though at some of the notes above which try and attack the work we've done to try and help people rather than improve it.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • u2o
    u2o Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Dear oh dear. shame on you MSE! not for the debate above - but suggesting Megatrain for Manchester to Edinburgh? If you do a little bit of research by clicking on the link that you took time to copy and paste from their website, you'll clearly see that this route is discontinued - and has been so for a long time!

Also, you need to be clear that in Trick One: Advance tickets beat returns. Yes, but not like for like comparison. If you need flexibility, you need to pay more. If you buy the advance ticket and miss your train, you have to pay the walk up fare thus costing you more money - you can't upgrade or pay the excess with these tickets. (Sorry, just realised Caliston already mentioned this!)

On another note. You should suggest rail operator websites for their discounts.

-National express east coast as already mentioned, 10% off.

-First Transpennine Express: 16-25 railcard holders get 50% off travel instead of usual 1/3. again, no booking fee. you can book their advance ticket for Edinburgh to manchester as cheap as £4.95 single!
  • Dave2012_2
    Dave2012_2 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your reply and clarification Martin,

Dave
  • caliston
    caliston Posts: 173 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Thanks Martin for the explanation. I hope I didn't come over unduly adversarial. It's just this article annoyed me a bit:
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/47978/Lunacy-of-Britain-s-rail-fares

No doubt the journalist has failed to understand your press release, but it was the "rip-off Britain: £48 ticket overpriced to £257" angle that got me. By all means educate people as to the different ticket types and the best ways to buy them, but don't claim they're the same when they aren't.

I do agree that all the various time restrictions need simplifying, or at least printing on the booking confirmation. But simplify them too much and you'd end up with one of two scenarios: an all-tickets-are-valid-on-all-trains model, where fares would have to be set so high as to prevent casualties on rush-hour trains, or the every-seat-must-be-prebooked model where you'd lose all flexibility and people would switch to their cars in vast numbers.
  • ticketcollector
    Options
    Heres an idea, as caliston has said. Why dont we have two types of tickets.
    Travel anytime and thus stupidly expensive.
    Or book your travel and get it cheap, restricted, like current advance tickets.
    THATS IT.
    Is that how simple people want it? Because it seems to be going that way.

As for getting copies of the relevant ticket restrictions this is easy. Just ask for a copy of the NFM at the ticket office.

Its articles like this that make me happy to work for the Railway and therefore do not have to pay for tickets.

When we do have to pay for tickets which is rare we pay 75% off, railway staff children get 88% off.
    Ex-Employee of a Train Operating Company.
    Ticket routing and rules expert.
    Been Penalty Fared on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you win your appeal.
    Been sent a summons on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you.
  • Merrywidow
    Merrywidow Posts: 766 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone, whew - what a lot of great information. Keep it coming.
    member # 12 of Skaters Club
    Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
    You grow old because you stop laughing
    :D
  • u2o
    u2o Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Heres an idea, as caliston has said. Why dont we have two types of tickets.
    Travel anytime and thus stupidly expensive.
    Or book your travel and get it cheap, restricted, like current advance tickets.
    THATS IT.
    Is that how simple people want it? Because it seems to be going that way.

nah. that would compromise anyone who needs flexibility but dont need to travel in the peak time. imagine not being able to buy "cheap day returns" when popping up somewhere for a day for shopping or something - or if, like me, want to pop over to friend's for a nightout thats been decided last minute and thus buying saver returns. so unless the rail operators scrap the peak-time and therefore everything is cheap off peak (which won't happen), we need the current (or to-become) 3 fare system: Advance, Off-Peak and Peak and quite frankly i like it!
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SussexMan wrote: »
    Is it just me or has the change in the ticket structure (having just three types of tickets) made prices go up?...
    There appears to be some confusion here. The change that has just occured harmonised conditions for advance purchase tickets, which are all given the same name, "Advance". The reality is that there are many price levels of Advance but as they all have pretty much the same conditions they are all called the same name.
    SussexMan wrote: »
    For example I went from Crawley to Sandwell for £14 just before the changes. If I look on websites now booking well in advance, those cheap ones have all gone and the cheapest one for the same train is £72.50!
    It sounds like there are not any advance fares for that journey. If it is well in advance, perhaps they are not on sale yet.
    caliston wrote: »
    Some fares have been 'simplified' upwards, though ATOC claims that there haven't been increases across the board.
    Again we have confusion. Only Advance fares have been subject to ATOC's "simplification".
    caliston wrote: »
    However Arriva took over the CrossCountry franchise (who operate Gatwick-Birmingham direct trains) from Virgin in December, so these fares revisions have been their first opportunity to change things. They've banned Cheap Day Returns on peak trains, so it wouldn't surprise me if they've also reduced the quota of cheap tickets. Reducing quota is a price rise by stealth, but the quotas are never published so it's hard to find out.
    I dislike Arriva's anti-CDR policy but all the evidence is so far that, if anything, they may have increased Advance availability as they are aiming to move toward a more 'airline' style model of people booking in advance, even for mid-range journeys of 50 miles or so.
  • ticketcollector
    Options
    u2o wrote: »
    nah. that would compromise anyone who needs flexibility but dont need to travel in the peak time. imagine not being able to buy "cheap day returns" when popping up somewhere for a day for shopping or something - or if, like me, want to pop over to friend's for a nightout thats been decided last minute and thus buying saver returns. so unless the rail operators scrap the peak-time and therefore everything is cheap off peak (which won't happen), we need the current (or to-become) 3 fare system: Advance, Off-Peak and Peak and quite frankly i like it!

But it is not going to be that simple!
    As far as I am aware, the restrictions are going to be as they are now. Its just the ticket names that are changing.
    So you will buy a Off-Peak Day from company A (which you can travel on trains departing after 0930) but on Company B an Off-Peak Day will only be vaild on trains arriving after 1030. However on Company C you can use the Off-Peak Day on trains arriving before 0600 and trains arriving after 1100.

So its not going to change anything.
    Ex-Employee of a Train Operating Company.
    Ticket routing and rules expert.
    Been Penalty Fared on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you win your appeal.
    Been sent a summons on the Railway? PM me and Ill try to help you.
  • cytokitty
    Options
    Having just been reading the posts regarding the train fares thought some of you may find this one interesting............

I want to travel from Swansea to Bristol Temple Meads on the 5th July return on the 19th July, the journey is via Cardiff and Newport.

Saver Return Swansea to Bristol £25.90

but get this !

Swansea to Bristol £5
    Bristol to Swansea £5

yet,

Swansea to Cardiff £5.20
    Cardiff to Swansea £5.20

half the journey on the same train costs you more :confused:

prices from Trainline
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories