Get a grip woman!

Comments

• It looks to me like you have got things well under control and your savings way exceed your debts. Well done ;)
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 February 2017 at 8:37AM
    worriedDan wrote: »
    It looks to me like you have got things well under control and your savings way exceed your debts. Well done ;)

Thanks Dan. It is sort of managing the panic really. I used some of the little pots of cash-based savings to pay down some of the highest interest things and then really pushed us to pay off the 0% things when the period ends, rather than perpetually stopping from one 0% to another (and incurring the one-off fees).

I have been reading on the forums for a few years now but I am a bit of a slow learner. Our earnings are good and yet here we are, less than five years from the end of our working lives, with a liability in excess of £100k.

It was this, rather than unsecured debt that prompted me to try and get a grip. Some of the mortgage clearance achievements have been so inspirational and contain some top tips on these forum threads (and the mortgage free diaries) and I also follow lots of OldStyle Moneysaving threads too.

I don't think I was honest with myself when I started posting (years before this diary), rather arrogant and believing I had it in me to change - but you really do have to make changes, not just pay lip-service.

Much later than I stopped shopping I started to look at better deals on things, and taking a whole-life approach to purchases (e.g. a car that includes servicing in the purchase price reduces my monthly committed liabilities, allowing me to pay off the total loan that bit earlier).

I also try to stagger things - so a one-off VED for 6 months puts road tax at the other end of the year from motor insurance.

I had a quick flick through your diary too and I admire the way you are taking back control. If it is any help, when my husband and I first lived together his mortgage was £20k and our joint credit card, loans and overdrafts amounted to £80k. It took us just under four years to pay off the £80k but then we started buying bigger houses...
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • What a great diary! You seem to have a workable plan and by the time you retire you will be able to do so in a comfortable position.:j

I have been an avid reader of MSE forums for about 10 years. Back then with a new baby and a new mortgage and not much income I focused on saving little bits here and there but now my thoughts are turning to retirement planning. It's very much a big deal and so scarily complicated!!

I'm subscribing to your diary and will follow with interest (even if I don't post very often):)
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde
  • I am absolutely in awe of your financial savvy. In terms of retirement, I just pay the maximum I can into my pension scheme and hope for the best. I don't understand any of it.

Your last post really resonated with me, when you said you were rather arrogant and believed you could change, and not just pay lip-service. I am quite concerned that I haven't yet changed at all, my spending habits are exactly the same but somehow I am absolved because I am posting about it afterwards. :cool:

Anyway, keep posting please, it's very motivating
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • Thanks ele. Wow Paws, and there's me in awe of your diary!

Mine often feels a bit rambly and self-indulgent but I will try and stay focussed.

Today's things (copied that idea from Paws!) - positives

1 Freezer dive for this week's meal plans
    2 Top-up shopping for apples and some seasonal veg
    3 Some of the clothes I ordered when I was feeling too flush are going back - admittedly because they make my chest look too "titty" but at least they are going back
    4 Our Son's house has a working bathroom with a new bath and shower screen and replacement taps and tiles, after over a year of problems with it

Negatives

1. DH casually mentioned that we will have to pay for the bathroom works from our savings - ref our Son's slightly disastrous choices of housemates (see earlier in the diary)
    2. More to come at DS's house as the boiler needs work too (next week) and no money in the pot for that either
    3. Running late today due to an accident at a neighbour's

Ho hum, real life moments
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • Suffolk_lass
    edited 26 February 2017 at 7:04PM
    Update since 13th Feb - It may never be this productive again!

[STRIKE]£7,644.81[/STRIKE] £8387.45 (aiming for £10,000) Emergency fund today -£1612.55
    [STRIKE]£11,960.07[/STRIKE] £12073.67 S&S ISA with Fidelity International (original £10,000 4 years ago, no further capital added)
    [STRIKE]£4,969.70[/STRIKE] £5022.49 DH's S&S ISA with Charles Stanley Direct
    £3,108.33 2 year Bond with Skipton BS @ 4% (one year in)
    £10,947.52 7 year bond with Skipton BS - matures Oct 20
    [STRIKE]£38,630.43[/STRIKE]£39,539.46 Total actual savings

Shortfall [STRIKE]£71,990.57[/STRIKE] £66,960.54 (mortgage)
  • Positive things -
    • It's my payday. Thank goodness! For 28 days February sure took its time
    • The Sunday lunch for 70 people was a great success
    • My neighbour who had a fall at the weekend appears to be recovering well
    • I can just about cover the home insurance (see below) without raiding the savings pot but it does mean no extra overpayments on the mortgage this month

Negative things -
    • Buildings and contents renewal through £1448.72 - I had underestimated this by £150
    • Reading the policy renewal reminded me we need to get the thatch inspected this year
    • DH has got the bent bit of his Harley repaired and resprayed - £240 + all the replacement fixings from a different place.
    • Booked my girls on tour trip for May - more expensive than flying but Oh so much more pleasant by train
    • Waiting for my Sis to call re updating me on my Mum

One more thing - I am a bit twitchy about post-Article 50 invocation impact on the pound (tourist exchange rates really) so I contacted one of the places we are going to in August and asked them to take a €500 deposit at today's exchange rate so I am sort of hedging my bets. Using my Halifax Clarity card it is £422 so over 1.17 to the pound :money:
  • Suffolk_lass
    Positive things -_party_
    • I actually took some clothes back and obtained a refund of £85
    • My expenses are visible as pending transactions for my bank account
    • Tilly Tidying, plus the £250 per month set aside to pay off the CC means I have saved over £800 this month, so far
    • Got a lunch out today - £2.50 and some good company

Negative things :doh:
    • Emergency dental repair required - £34 plus a round trip of 100 miles
    • My neighbour remains in hospital and they don't know why he is bright red
    • Still have not planted any seeds or reinstated the greenhouse roof
    • Frustrated at work
  • Suffolk_lass
    edited 3 March 2017 at 9:01AM
    On the subject of my low sugar, low carb diet - I have been going for four weeks now and have lost 16 pounds and several inches. I am hoping my slightly baggy clothes don't look too awful as I don't want to buy more before the weather warms up
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Well done on saving so much that's ace!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure