First time Florida holiday - need advice!

Options
We're travelling to Florida in July (2 adults, 2 boys aged 11 & 12) and need some advice!

Basically I've booked flights so far, ESTA visa, car hire and travel insurance sorted but what next...

Can anyone advise us on park tickets, accommodation etc? We're hoping to spend a week doing theme parks, then go up-State to see Daytona and maybe Cape Canaveral, and spent the last few days chilling at the Gulf Coast.

Just had a look at the Disney and Universal sites and it's MIND BOGGLING :eek:

Any recommendations, tips etc welcome!!! Thank you !

Comments

• SweetPotatoPie
    Options
    If you’re only doing theme parks for a week then you need to make a decision. It’s your first time, it’s going to have to be Disney OR Universal.
    There are 4 Disney parks and 2 water parks and you are going to need more than one day in at least two of the parks.
    If you choose Universal - there are two theme parks and a water park.
    We go to Orlando every year and honestly, there is no way you can do both in a week x
  • SweetPotatoPie
    Options
    Just seen you haven’t booked accommodation yet - most important question is whether you will be driving? Can narrow it down then 😂 x
  • SweetPotatoPie
    Options
    I’ve just re read - you have car hire.
    You have options of villa or hotel.
    If you choose Disney then you would be better staying in Lake Buena Vista as it’s near the parks. You need to factor in parking costs also as it soon adds up. Have you looked at hotels that are affiliated with Disney? You could leave car in car park then for your first week and use free transport to the parks?
    If you choose Universal then a hotel on International Drive would be your best bet.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with Daytona. It's not the nicest of places. If you can go south Clearwater is lovely, fantastic beach.
  • RoyalScot
    Options
    Thank you @SweetPotatoPie, we were thinking of a condo/small villa while at parks if it worked out cheaper than hotels so will look at the Lake Buena Vista area and get a price comparison versus hotel. We have a car as we want to travel but noted re parking fees. A lot more homework to be done obviously! Do you recommend Disney over Universal for boys 11 & 12? Neither into Harry Potter but do like Star Wars. What about Busch Gardens?
  • lea2012
    lea2012 Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As above, you could realistically only do universal or disney in a week.
    I'd say for Universal, you could easily spend 3 days there if you wish and then have a 4th day at the waterpark. This would leave you with 3 more days to enjoy something else.
    Take a look at Discovery Cove, this is quite a relaxed day and such a great experience. You can tickets that also include SeaWorld and Aquatica waterpark too so that would fill the other 3 days, or potentially look at Orlando Eye, a day trip to Celebration or Old Town Kissimee or a day at Disney Springs which would be free.

I'd recommend looking up the 'Dibb forum' on Google as its a fantastic site and will give you a wealth of info!
    Lea :confused:
  • SweetPotatoPie
    Options
    It’s so hard!! Star Wars land is not opening until “Fall” so this suggests October/November time.
    If they like rides - has to be Universal studios. The 2 parks have lots to do, I’m personally not a Harry Potter fan but the theming and rides are amazing! If you are choosing universal then don’t stay in Buena Vista, Universal is not in that area.
    I would look at Universal hotels (Cabana Bay is probably cheapest) OR staying on International Drive, it’s 5 mins from there. I love international Drive as there’s tons of restaurants etc and plenty of choice that caters for all budgets. You could easily do 2 days in Universal and 2 days in Islands of Adventure as you’re going at peak time. Volcano bay water park as well will be at least a day.
    Busch Gardens is a quieter park so queue times are a lot shorter, roughly an hours drive.
    Have a look at Discovery Cove for a day, it can be expensive if doing a dolphin swim but you can do it without. You can swim in the man made reef with lots of sting rays etc and my daughter loves it there.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Seconded about International Drive. Fantastic place. I can't help regarding parks we didn't do any lol. You can shop till you drop on IDrive though.

Miami is ok but a swine to park at and it is pricey. I preferred Clearwater.

Kennedy Space Centre is a full day out. Not cheap but worth it. You need ID to get in though so take a passport or driving licence if you visit.
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    2 boys 11 & 12........Universal and Busch Gardens would be my choice staying on International Drive
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The answers to all your questions can be found at: https://www.thedibb.co.uk

Essential reading for all visitors to the parks! Find out the advantages of staying onsite or offsite so you can decide if it's worth it, find out when pre-booking opens for fast passes and restaurants (earlier for onsite guests), find out which parks are busy on which days and how it's affected by early opening. So many tricks and tips for getting the best value out of your money and time!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure