BMW had car (for recall) for 2 months and "Don't know when I can have it back"

Options
Aubrey_Thicket
Aubrey_Thicket Posts: 299 Forumite
edited 18 February 2019 at 1:23PM in Motoring
Hi all

I am hoping for some assistance what to do next...

We have a BMW car that is 4 years old. We paid over £50K for this car at the time of purchase. Just before Christmas we received notification that the car needed to be recalled because of a fault with the Exhaust Gas Re-circulation Cooler. Therefore, we booked the car in on 7th January. Since then we have made over 20 calls to the dealer to keep being told "The parts haven't arrived from BMW. We don't know when they'll be in to us". Being a bit flippant I said to them "So how long do we wait? 1 month? 6 months? 10 years?" Only to be told "We just don't know". So, amazingly the car has been sat at BMW for over 6 weeks and we are still no nearer getting the car back. To make matters worse they gave us a small replacement car which yesterday somebody run in to the back of. We have had to pay the £500 excess and are being told we will have to claim this back off our own insurers!
Can anybody help please?

Comments

• danny91
    danny91 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    So, amazingly the car has been sat at BMW for over 6 months

Your title says 2 months, yet your post says 6 months. Which is it?
  • Aubrey_Thicket
    Options
    Just editted it to read 6 weeks, not months. Sorry
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think the key to the delay might lie in this sentence...
    Since then we have made over 20 calls to the dealer to keep being told "The parts haven't arrived from BMW. We don't know when they'll be in to us".

To make matters worse they gave us a small replacement car which yesterday somebody run in to the back of. We have had to pay the £500 excess and are being told we will have to claim this back off our own insurers!
    Right, and...?

If it'd been your car hit, you'd be involving your insurer, and your excess would be lost until the other driver's insurer paid in full. Why would this be any different?
  • danny91
    danny91 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Just editted it to read 6 weeks, not months. Sorry

I’m not sure there’s a lot you can do really. If the parts aren’t available, then they aren’t available. It could be worse in the sense that they didn’t HAVE to provide a courtesy car. But they have done, albeit I’m assuming one that costs considerably less than yours.
    You could ask them about maybe giving you a free service as a sort of “goodwill” gesture maybe?
  • Aubrey_Thicket
    Options
    Adrian C, Your reply is less than helpful, bordering on rude. I was asking readers of this thread what I could possibly do next.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Adrian C, Your reply is less than helpful, bordering on rude.
    I'm very sorry that you didn't like it.
    I was asking readers of this thread what I could possibly do next.
    Have you tried phoning BMW? Not the dealer. BMW. You do understand there's a difference?
    https://www.bmw.co.uk/contact-us

They should be able to give you a timescale, if there is one - but if there was, I strongly suspect the dealer would also have been told, so would be able to tell you.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Is your vehicle absolutely undriveable until the parts arrive? If not, why not get it back from the garage and then return it when the parts DO arrive?

PS - post #4 may have been acerbic, but to call it unhelpful is, in itself, rude. The information given absolutely relates to your current situation.
  • d0nkeyk0ng
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Is your vehicle absolutely undriveable until the parts arrive? If not, why not get it back from the garage and then return it when the parts DO arrive?
    By the looks of things, it's a fire risk:
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/bmw-recalls-268000-diesel-models-uk-over-fire-risk
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    Options
    I think you have had a winner there, you would be more than annoyed after someone ran into the back of your £50,000 new car.

You could ask them for a bigger courtesy car as this one is not suitable and rack the mileage up on that one rather than yours. Escalate the complaint and you may get some free servicing for the future.
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1) Car in at BMW for 6 weeks, bonus, you are not putting mileage on yours, it's 'in the system'
    2) Small loan car, bless you, I'm probably sure it will do 70MPH
    3) Another car hit the loaner? So what, It did not hit your '50K' car and it's a SEPARATE incident, nothing to do with 1 or 2
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure