Double my electricity usage

Comments

• It is the electric but the water is only on an hour in the morning and an hour at night. The heating on an hour in the morning and a couple of hours at night.
  • ajbell
    ajbell Posts: 1,151 Forumite
    You need to have a better understanding of what is using electricity and what is using gas, do you heat anything, water or space using electricity? do you have powerful lighting or a pool or fish tank or something like that?
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Bowster wrote: »
    It is the electric but the water is only on an hour in the morning and an hour at night. The heating on an hour in the morning and a couple of hours at night.

Now you are confusing me. In your last posts you said that it wasn't an immersion heater but you used the gas boiler for your water heating.

Water heating by the gas boiler has no effect on your electric consumption.

If you are confused by this are you equally confused about your showers ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 February 2019 at 11:07PM
    Which meter has gone up by 115 units? If it is the gas meter, it it a metric or imperial meter? A metric unit is much smaller and so the meter runs much faster than an imperial one. Was your old meter imperial?
    Heating your hot water by the immersion rather than the boiler (if that is what you are doing) is insane, because it's more than 300% more expensive per kWh.
    We need proper info about your longer term kWh usage on each account to make any sense of this. Opening and closing reads, and dates.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • I am confused by the whole thing. I thought my gas only heated the radiators and water. Everything else is electric as far as i know. All the lights are energy efficient bulbs and i have no fish tanks pools etc. Nothing i use electric for is different to the old gouse except for electric cooker which is used max once a day. All i know for sure is i have the same systems as the old house where i set the timers for heating and hot water. And we use the same appliances except for a brand new and more efficient boiler and dishwasher and now elctric cooker instead of gas. But now i pay more than double the electric.
  • I think both meters were metric as both new smart meters. But regardless they should all amount to the same payments.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What you pay for your leccy (in terms of your monthly DD) is not the same as what you use. Your DD may simply be set too high. Which is why we cannot help you without actual kWh figures.
    Payments will only be the same between properties if your usage, supplier and tariff are the same. Not likely.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • ajbell
    ajbell Posts: 1,151 Forumite
    Find out what you are using electricity for, is it heating water or not.
    Forget how much you pay and look at kwh only.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Check that your immersion heater* is not on. Its easy to do by accident especially in a new house where you dont know what controls what.
    If you dont know how to do that, turn off the gas hot water and wait a few days. If you run out of hot water, it wasn't on. If you dont, its on.

* that is electric.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,369 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have an emmersion heater which is on about two hours a day.

I know you covered it in an earlier post but many people with gas or oil central heating also have an immersion heater as a backup. It is not unheard of for that to get turned on without you realising it.

We were using far too much electricity when we moved to our current house. I bought an energy monitor. Our meter has the flashing light. So, its was nice and easy (there are versions available).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018WB6IXG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Through use of that, I was able to identify the things that were causing a lot of use. It was over £12 a day at the start. Now it's down to £6-£7 a day.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure