PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Coffee Machines

We only drink black coffee. We are using a bog standard machine right now, I did wonder about getting a pod machine........any reccies pros or cons?

Comments

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I would request some more infoz about your preferences and expectations, please:

What sort of coffee do you like — espresso-based Americano, filter/drip, cafetiere/French press?
    Do you buy good beans or supermarket preground?
    Do you want push-button functionality , or are you happy to put some time and effort in for your brew?
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    How much do you drink?

If you don't get through much coffee, then pods mean your coffee won't go stale. If you get through a lot, pods are expensive!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I like coffee, and I like coffee from a pod machine even more. The reason I don't have a coffee machine is as follows:

The cost of the machine.
    The space taken by the machine.
    The hassle of cleaning the machine.
    The cost of the consumables.
    The environmental cost of the consumables.
    The chances of me fixing the machine should it go wrong is 0%.

How much happiness would I get in exchange for the hassle above? It helps I suppose that I have experimented and now have my coffee just the way I like it (à la Costa latte) with the assistance of my electric kettle, microwave and favourite jar of coffee at <£5/190g. You don't have to be a coffee snob to know there's no actual comparison, but it suits my lifestyle and budget just fine.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • At the moment we use a Morphy Richard coffee machine and ground beans from Aldi 4 strength.

We have also in the past used a cafetiere. I do quite like to push a button and get coffee into the jug on the machine which I then pour into a mug, No milk or sugar. We only have one mug a day with our breakfast. We might very occasionally have coffee after supper.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 15 February 2019 at 6:30AM
    It sounds like a pod machine would suit your requirements well. Other posters will be able to give you good advice on which is best as I don’t know owt about them :)

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We used to have a Nespresso and loved it, but we drink a fair bit of coffee so now have a bean to cup.

Before the Nespresso we had a Tassimo, the Nespresso coffee is far better IMO and now they have lifted the patent on the foil pods there's a huge range available from everywhere from Lidl up.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I would have thought we were all a bit more environmentally aware of the impact of our choices nowadays and would therefore never consider a pod machine. A coffee grinder and some beans then you get fresh every time or a pack of ground coffee kept in a tin in the fridge would do the job.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    So how is my pod machine, using pods that are then thrown on my fire, trashing the planet? lol !
  • I had a Tassimo and didn't like it (masses of waste and the coffee wasn't that nice) so replaced it with a Nespresso, this really nice and you can buy refillable pods for it. I have a stove top coffee maker too. It doesn't use pods, just a scoop of ground coffee and some water, I use this more then the Nespresso (JL have discounts on these a fair bit so I wouldn't buy one yet).

https://www.johnlewis.com/nespresso-citiz-milk-coffee-machine-by-magimix/p2845232?sku=236316762&s_kwcid=2dx92700024416730448&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzKnjBRDPARIsAKxfTRB440VTzq0lcGlYSjPE8nX-XZcnxkKkLyKJ8V1hKNfIghd1GJZ2KK0aAnVnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

2Q==
    2Q==

2Q==
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills