Ebay return

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I can't really get past the idea that seller allowed paypal and collection- i can't imagine many sellers do that any more.

OP can you please clarify whether this item was always a collection only item, or whether postage was shown but you negotiated collection with the seller?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 February 2019 at 12:29PM
    The weight is 26Kg.

It was always collection only.

I am not being deliberately evasive, it it just that people on forums don't like paragraphs of details that are irrelevant.
  • Did you contact the seller to tell them there was a problem before you opened the case with eBay?
    It's more than a little odd that the seller just left a £70 item outside for you to collect - or for some random passerby to steal! Is this a private or a business seller?

I had to return an item that came with inaccurate postage costs once, I contacted the seller through the case (i.e. where it says "Message to seller" on the case) and requested an accurate postage label. Then I ended up escalating this to eBay over the phone, and they sorted out a usable label for me. Do not communicate with the seller except for through eBay's case or messaging system. If I were you I would message them requesting an accurate returns label and then escalate it to eBay.

If the seller is willing, you could arrange to meet the seller in person and ask them to refund before you hand the item over. Bit like a movie style hostage swap! If they're not willing, you'll have to rely on either eBay's goodwill or posting it.
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
  • AndyPK
    i did contact them through the ebay messaging system before raising a case.

He left it in his back garden.

Message who?

How do I message ebay to sort out a postal label?
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    soolin wrote: »
    I can't really get past the idea that seller allowed paypal and collection- i can't imagine many sellers do that any more.

OP can you please clarify whether this item was always a collection only item, or whether postage was shown but you negotiated collection with the seller?

Even more insisted on it!

Whenever I sell collection only I insist on cash on collection and if they pay by paypal I refund it.
  • AndyPK
    yes that is what I expected too.
  • AndyPK
    found on ebay

The item was originally delivered by freight or collected in person: When the seller is responsible for return postage costs and you need to make alternative postage arrangements, contact them to agree on the service and cost before sending the item. Make sure to include the packing slip, tracking, and for items valued at £750 or more, signature confirmation is required
    When you want to return an item using alternative postage arrangements, and the seller is responsible for the return postage charges, you must work with them to agree on the postage service and cost before returning the item.

If you use alternative postage arrangements, the return postage charges aren't included in any eBay Money Back Guarantee refund you’ll receive.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If it's not as described you should have left it in his back garden and done an item not received claim.

You problems here are your own making. it's going to cost you a lot of money to return a 26kg item.
  • If you log into your eBay account on a computer and go to "help and contact", and then just click around on the different options until you get one that gives you a phone number. I take it when you contacted the seller they were unhelpful, and didn't offer to take a return.

I don't think you'd be able to do an "item not received" claim now, as you've already gone the other route and let eBay know you have the item, but it's something to keep in mind for the future.
    Well informed on the subjects of sofas and wood furniture, and well opinionated on everything else :rotfl:
  • AndyPK
    postage is £16 so not at bad as I expected.

Ebay states I need to ensure the seller pays for this and the shipping method is agreed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure