Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 December 2018 at 3:57PM
    Sleep........get lots of it. Its free. And it's not called beauty sleep for nothing. :D

Whilst we are sleeping our body systems are not just lying around doing nothing, they are repairing and renewing themselves. All those billions of cells in our bodies are busy, beavering away, replenishing and replacing themselves.

They can't do this effectively if you are awake half the night.

So try and get more sleep. If you have sleep difficulties (and we all do from time to time) then try and practice something called sleep hygiene. Sorry I'm useless at providing links but if you google sleep hygiene or insomnia you will get loads of useful tips on how to improve sleep.

And make sure you get sufficient rest. A day time nap never did anyone any harm. And it's not wasting time. Some of the most productive people in history have been a devotee of the power nap.

So curl up with a nice cuppa, a sofa throw and drift off to the land of nod for 15 minutes. It will refresh and revitalise you. And it can even help you sleep better at night because, just like with fractious toddlers who can't or won't sleep, an overtired brain and body can sometimes make it harder to switch off and fall asleep easily.
  • Lessonlearned - I second that! Sleep is so important! I find if I can't sleep that using guided sleep meditation (on youtube) helps me to fall asleep :)

x
    Read my diaryHere :)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hello :wave:

I think I joined at the beginning of last year (or maybe the year before.....) - but fell off the wagon fairly quickly

I have just under 15 months until I'm 50. In 2019 I have 2 family weddings (one a rather posh affair) and my DD's graduation to attend - I'd like to be more fab for all of them, but certainly wedding no 2 (the posher one!) and then the graduation (am sure I can't avoid being in pics for that - nor do I really want to) I need to lose weight, and plan on re-starting tracking food and upping exercise again from 2nd Jan (always NYE leftovers hanging around on 1st, so I'm being realistic!) I also have eczema/ psoriasis/ dermatitis (all 3) in four different areas of my body, all of which are visible (ie: not standard covered areas) - these are beginning to get a little more under control thanks to a fab GP, but I also need to get better at maintaining the medication/ minimising flare ups.

I'm also rather useless at doing things like getting my hair cut regularly - it's not unusual for me to go minimum 6 months, often up to 10 months in between haircuts - with attacking my fringe by myself in between. This is partly because I can't find a hairdresser recently who I like doing my hair- the last one went on mat leave and didn't come back. I also don't get my eyebrows maintained often enough (very fair post menopause, so need dying as well as shaping) I might batch book some appointments in for this - I do have somewhere I like to go which is local, so that's not an issue - I just never get around to doing it (in fact, that's a fab idea, so will aim to do that next week after NY - they will be crazy busy on Mon, so not fair to contact them then) I also don't wear make up very often (with the exception of mascara - fair and short eyelashes) and would like to look more groomed on an every day basis (groomed eyebrows may help to encourage me) Finally, I bite my fingernails...:o:o I am very lucky that I have naturally good shaped, long fingernails, even when bitten - so most people wouldn't realise straight off (except I also bite the skin) and I'd like to conquer this habit also.

Quite a lot I'd like to achieve - and I know I'll crash and burn if I attempt to do it all at once!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 December 2018 at 6:35PM
    Well done for posting Victoria.:) It's probably worth hanging on to some of your business dresses for a while as you might find occasions to wear them. Alternatively donate them or sell them on eBay. What you probably need is to develop a 'smart casual' wardrobe. That needn't be too far removed from the jeans and hoody but a bit smarter IYSWIM.

Having an occasion (or in your case occasions) to get fabbed up for is great motivation greent and you seem to have heaps of ideas already. I'm with you on the eyebrows. Having mine tinted is a new thing for me and I love the effect. I don't know how you wear your hair but having mine done regularly is a worthwhile expense IMO. I have mine regularly cut (about every 8 weeks) and highlighted (about 2-3 times a year). I'd keep looking for a decent hairdresser. If you want to wear a little more make up then I'd suggest going to the make up counters and asking there for demonstrations, ideally when they're quiet mid week. I'm a big fan of Benefit and for my low make up look, I like a highlighter on my browbone such as their Hi Beam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M6EuR7f4lM

The model on the clip shows how versatile it is but they do highlighter sticks and pens too.

I did my meal plan and shop today. Aldi was a dream, quiet with well stocked shelves. I'll be glad to see next Wednesday when all eating (and drinking;)) will return to normal and I can lose whatever I've gained over Christmas and get ready fro my holiday in February.:D

ETA: Welcome been there done that.:)

humpty, I meant to ask which products you'd recommend from your gift set. I could do with my hair being thicker especially my fringe.:)
  • LessonLearned I am exhausted, I think if GD hadn't been ill it would all have been manageable but I've tried to give the parents a rest and am so tired. I'm busy anyway, you know what being a carer is like, and having a houseful was lovely but alot and then sick child just the icing on the cake. I'm so glad I prepared early, lots of shopping, meals prepared and frozen and everyone mucking in but I'm still feeling responsible for it all. One family have gone early with sick child so they were supposed to overlap with another arriving tomorrow so at the moment I am sitting in a quiet, tidy house and looking forward to a soak and an early night and then it starts again but just for 3 days and then everyone will be back at home/work or whatever.

If I'm honest I think 12 people for 12 days in a 4 bed house is just too much, GC aged from 1 to teenagers is such a spread. I honestly think I am going to have to say less is more next year or suggest they stay at hotels so the little ones are whisked off in the evenings.

Having said all that I am already missing them all, I don't know what I want. Of course none of it helped by me catching a cold. Hey ho life will soon be back to normal. I'm planning on using a voucher I've been given for a massage and facial and then some shopping with gift vouchers and indulge me a bit.

I'm off for a cuppa and a mince pie and then bath and bed.

Hope everyone is well.
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,501 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hi all, still lurking along. Feeling pretty tired all the time at the moment but I guess that's what happens with an 18 month old son, job share & housework on top of trying to have a life. :rotfl:

I'm going to re-start my yoga regularly, Adriene will be starting her new 30 day challenge on y0utube in January so I'm going to try & do that to get back into it. My only problem is fitting it in around work & DS but I really need to do it as it helps me feel less frazzled.

Once the Christmas decorations are down I need to think about storage & de-cluttering as the house feels like a pit of doom. Not helped by DS's toys everywhere (existing & new).

Still haven't sorted out my clothes either. :eek:
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • Hello all

Like greent I also joined a couple of years back but soon got caught up with work, family etc. I did keep up some of the goals back then eg wearing perfume every day ..... every work day anyway. Like victoria61, I am also a School Business Manager but although around the same age, I have a few years until retirement.

On the subject of eyebrows, I just did my own this week for the first time. A bit of an accident really as I actually went out to buy eyelash dye and came home with eyebrow dye!! Should have worn my glasses! Anyway, I thought it would do the job anyway so put it on eyelashes AND brows and I am really pleased with the results, so will keep this one up.

I was just talking today with a friend on goals for the next year and the ones that jumped to mind were 1 drink more water, 2 eat less sugar and 3 keep going to yoga (already booked) 4 have a regular day each month where I dye all the hair on my head, including lashes and brows now - maybe first Sunday of the month.

Here's to 2019!
    :rotfl:
  • Amara
    Amara Posts: 2,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hi! Can I join in, please? I want to loose 15kg and run 10K. I'm 42, 167cm and weigh 76kg, I want to go back to healthy weight range. Two years ago I decided I want to run 5K , I was complete couch potato and I did it within a month. I can be very determined when I want to :)
  • cbrown372
    cbrown372 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Read often but never posted so if its okay I'd like to join in this year.

Recently coloured my white/grey hair lilac and I love it, its been a real boost especially the number of people in shops, vets, office who have complimented me has been amazing. Someone mentioned hair thinning, my daughter uses Main and Tail, which yes is a product for horses but really does work. She gets it from Amazon. I personally don't shampoo or condition my hair at all from the time some years ago I had a frozen shoulder and couldn't lift my arm up to wash it. Fortunately I don't have greasy hair and my hairdresser was quite shocked when I told her I only wet my hair with no products. I can assure you my hair is soft and clean!

Food wise this year I do need to refine my diet, not to lose weight but just to eat better, drop the crisps and chocolate.:o

Confesses to hitting the online sales in Marks and Asda before Christmas then I must get through the wardrobe and decant some of it to the charity shop. I'll pop back once I think of some more goals for 2019!

Chris
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    I'd never thought of tinting my own eyebrows Scottish lassie . How clever of you.:T

Welcome amara . There's lots we can do on the fabbing front. Personally the weight loss was what made me feel best about myself but everything else followed from there. You're definitely right that determination will get us there. :D

We're out for the day tomorrow including lunch. It's smart casual so I plan to wear smart black jeans with my pink angora jumper. For walking and sightseeing I'll wear my black quilted jacket and long 'Dr Who' style stripey scarf in shades of pink with black. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure