PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2019 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,716
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hello all,

I've developed a bit of a cough so before it turns into anything worse I went and did this weeks shopping. £32.61 spent in Sainsbugs as I had a £4.50 off a £30 spend voucher (and Sainb's is only 5 minutes away). I was overcharged by £1.55 when I checked my receipt but like a good MSE'er I queued at customer services for my refund and it went back into the grocery purse.

I did join the "eating out of the cupboards" thread but it moves a bit slowly so I may post what I'm using each day on here. I doubt it will inspire anyone, but I do like seeing what other people are making too. Today I used up the other half of a tub of broccoli soup and there's some cooked chicken in the fridge that was left over from a full roast chicken. The HT had some in a roast dinner yesterday and I'm having the rest in a wrap with salad this evening.
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,857
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi folks, sorry I haven't updated regularly. I am still keeping track though so better than last month. I have £88 left to do us until 25th Jan when our new month starts.

We have various bits in the freezer to use up and the last of some free apples that will be made into an apple crumble over the weekend so the £88 will be enough to see us through.
    January GC 2024 £135/£180
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • Hello!

Seem to be managing to stay on track here, thanks to the group motivation! Total so far this week is £43.30/£50. Only got a couple of days left of my first week & think they should be NSDs as back at work & all meals planned. However, as it's my first day back today after almost a month off, I'm feeling very sorry for myself and very tempted to go buy myself a treat! I'm very much an emotional eater. But, determined to stick to budget & sure my waistline will thank me for abstaining!

To the poster who mentioned making hummus, does it freeze? I love it but no one else in my family does. If I could make my own & freeze in appropriate portion sizes (I'm thinking large ice cube tray), it would be much more useful!
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mountain Ash - I've frozen both homemade and shop bought hummus before and it's been fine. To be honest I tend to pretty much freeze anything as the worst that can happen is it might change the texture a bit. I don't think very watery veg like lettuce freeze very well for that reason but even then you can still make soup with it. And that's another thing, pretty much anything goes in soup (I've added leftover hummus to that too!).
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,562
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    £46.15 pending for an online Tesco shop tomorrow.
    Will add to signature once delivered.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • lantanna
    lantanna Posts: 4,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    Mountain Ash - I've frozen both homemade and shop bought hummus before and it's been fine. To be honest I tend to pretty much freeze anything as the worst that can happen is it might change the texture a bit. I don't think very watery veg like lettuce freeze very well for that reason but even then you can still make soup with it. And that's another thing, pretty much anything goes in soup (I've added leftover hummus to that too!).

Never knew you could freeze hummus ! Now I do. NSD here. £3 left TIL next Friday so it would need to be
  • CRANKY40
    Forumite
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    To be honest I tend to pretty much freeze anything as the worst that can happen is it might change the texture a bit.

I'm of the same opinion and do the same. If the alternative is slinging it then what is the harm in freezing it first to see what happens? Hoummus freezes well....

I was absolutely [STRIKE]gobsmacked[/STRIKE] amazed last week when my friend announced that she throws anything older that 3 months old out of her freezer. My winter supply of frozen rhubarb (from my garden) huddled into the corner of the freezer muttering to itself in shock! Ditto my home made courgette soup kits (one sliced onion, one sliced home grown courgette in each freezer bag - add one veg stock cube and one pint of water per bag) that were stashed in the icy depths during the summer and that are still OK!!!!
  • mummyjane
    mummyjane Posts: 391
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Weekly shopping today, £57 spent which is far less than usual. I've meal planned around what I have in the cupboards so managed to keep it down plus I had a 15% off online voucher which made it even cheaper . I've stocked up on toilet rolls as they were on offer so should keep us going for a while. Should have a couple of NSDs from tomorrow.
    GC 2023 June £72/500 NSDs 1/10
  • Poppy57... go to https://www.terracycle.co.uk to find somewhere local to recycle ypur Tassimo pods. Perhaps you collect from friends too, to make it worth your while. There's other things that it shows you how to recycle too if anyone wants to take a look.

Group question... I have found a sealed pack of buffalo mozzarella dated 4 Jan in the fridge left over from new year. Would you risk it....I think I 'm probably going to if it tastes okay and doesn't smell funny :D
  • CRANKY40
    Forumite
    Group question... I have found a sealed pack of buffalo mozzarella dated 4 Jan in the fridge left over from new year. Would you risk it....I think I 'm probably going to if it tastes okay and doesn't smell funny :D

I absolutely would. If it tastes ok and isn't fizzy.....it's cheese and it's sealed. The HT is eating those revolting cheesestring things just now that he begged for at some point last year. The date on those is December sometime. He seems to be surviving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure