The "Save 12k in 2019" Thread

Comments

• slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Spreadsheet updated :)

*PLEASE READ* please can you check on the spreadsheet for your challenger number? Some of you are already getting this muddled. It's not the number you're aiming to save [i.e. £12,000] but the number next to your name on the spreadsheet. So, for example, my challenger number is 1 as I'm the first name on there.

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • PurpleJellyFish
    PurpleJellyFish Posts: 544 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    edited 10 January 2019 at 3:18AM
    Please can I join in? I’m aiming for £12K this year.

It’s been a long time since I’ve been on the site and need to sort myself out. This savings challenge will hopefully give me a shove in the right direction...the rest will hopefully follow.
  • Daily Tilly Tidying plus a couple of £ when there was nothing to tidy and I've crept to £134 so far. Pretty pleased with that! Plus this challenge did spring to mind and definitely contributed to me not having takeaway for lunch yesterday at work :A
    2019 Savings Challenge - challenger number 86 - £169/£1,000
    MFW - mortgage free date Oct 2046 :eek:
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    £10 saved so far. It will be slow progress for the first couple of months, but I feel I've now made a start. Hoping to put more in on pay day on the 28th.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • I've been feeling a little left out because I technically haven't been saving just yet. I'm waiting to take a look at my taxes for the year and other things when I sit down with a financial advisor later in February but I'm starting to get itchy. :)

So, I just a did a Tilly Tidy to round off my checking account: $33.55 sent to a savings account plus the $10.30 that's already in that savings account = $43.85. There! I feel much better now for having just started! :)

Once I take a look at my rough tax bill in the next week, I'll see what else I can move to savings.
  • Retired_Minky
    Retired_Minky Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 January 2019 at 6:43PM
    I use the Robert Kiyosaki’s Rich Dad Poor Dad method of pay yourself first.

I have a joint account where me and the better half get paid in to. We do a monthly transfer on the 1st in to our separate single accounts for our individual variable spending. These are for items we have control over the spend (e.g. groceries, entertainment, lunches, haircuts, fuel, etc.)

After our individual payments we work work out how our standard bills are for the month (e.g. council tax, energy, water, mortgage, etc.).

We leave a slight buffer to avoid going overdrawn. Everything else from the joint account gets swept to savings.

If we have a one off expense or know we need some extra cash we’ll transfer money back from the savings account.

Using the above method I’ve put £2,908 in to saving for January thus far. Hopefully this figure will stick and I won’t have to drag any of this back to my current account.
  • RetiredMinky we have started doing this recently. We spreadsheet everything, leave enough in the bank for direct debits plus a small buffer and then take out grocery/personal spending money as cash all at the start of the month. The rest gets transferred over to savings. It is the best system ever for us and it makes the spreadsheeting easy as any change left over I just add to our change pot.

Due to a bonus and some other unexpected money we should be saving around 4.5k this month. It won't be anywhere near that amount in subsequent months but it is really motivational to get off to such a good start.
    SPC #062
    12k in2019 #23 £8167/£16k
    Make £2019 in 2019 #32 £513/£2019
  • Can I sign up please?
    12K (I hope).

Thanks in anticipation.

fiestaman87
  • Thank you SF for allowing me to join.
    I cannot wait to update on pay day.

Take care,
    Sylvia
    Must save to live, not just live to save!!! :think:
    Challenge Save 12k in 2019 #141 £6,143.34/£6k
    Deposit £82,317.88/£120K :jFees/ect £12K/£12K:jEmergency fund £1K/£1K
    :A
    :A'Saving again after parting with a lot of money enjoying life:rotfl::A
  • I am also trialing the method where you sweep everything into savings out of my current account minus DD and a little extra if I can stick to it I will save some additional. I have so far saved £855.92 with all my regular savers, ISA Savings and doing the Tilly Tidying of my account. I have a couple of bits of furniture to sell from moving house so should have some more to add to it.
    Groceries Challenge 2019
    #119 12K in 2019 Challenge = £1949.89/£12,000 =16%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family