IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

MSE News: Private parking firms failed to fight more than 21,000 appeals

Private parking firms failed to fight more than 21,000 appeals from drivers who argued they'd been wrongly given a ticket - an increase of 100% compared to the year before...
Read the full story:
'Private parking firms failed to fight more than 21,000 appeals'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The problem with MSE advice on this issue is that people are misinterpreting the advice. MSE advice is to not automatically pay it. Many people especially in my experience those on a Facebook Page called "I Love the Lake District". Many members of the group say that Martin has advised that people ignore the letters, and bin them unopened. This is inadvisable as people end up with CCJs that way.

Perhaps there needs to be a dummies guide that makes the point that in not automatically paying, that people should NOT ignore the correspondence and should open them and file them in a folder, not a circular file.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    edited 12 June 2018 at 2:45PM
    It's bad enough newbies posting in the motoring forum about parking ticket matters, surely those at MSE towers know where the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking sub-forum is located.

Anyway I'd like to see comparable figures for the IAS.
  • Thanks for flagging folks,

We don't have a "right" or "wrong" board for forum content, it's simply where it may help the most people.

MSE staff often just want to get the news out there to make people aware so pop the discussion thread on the Forum board they feel makes sense.

They're working hard to save people money and don't always have the time, especially on Tuesday when they're working on the weekly email, to think about the best board for it to go on.

The motoring board might even reach more people who check that board but don't think about parking ticket appeals, rather than the ticket appeals board where people generally just head if they've received one.

Either way, it doesn't take long to move a thread.

Thanks for your understanding everyone

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Mercdriver wrote: »
    The problem with MSE advice on this issue is that people are misinterpreting the advice. MSE advice is to not automatically pay it. Many people especially in my experience those on a Facebook Page called "I Love the Lake District". Many members of the group say that Martin has advised that people ignore the letters, and bin them unopened. This is inadvisable as people end up with CCJs that way.

Perhaps there needs to be a dummies guide that makes the point that in not automatically paying, that people should NOT ignore the correspondence and should open them and file them in a folder, not a circular file.

Thanks Mercdriver

It would be great if you could explain to them exactly what we do say in the guide so there's no confusion.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 June 2018 at 4:24PM
    It would be great if you could explain to them exactly what we do say in the guide so there's no confusion.
    The guide is fatally flawed, MSE Andrea!

So very bad, it would be better to have no guide at all.

MSE still needs to put right the awful 'Fight Unfair Private Parking Tickets' article 'appeal' where MSE wrongly (and with a dangerous impact on the appeal outcome) tells people to:

- start with: ''you issued ME with a parking ticket'' NONONO. ''The driver''.

- include mitigating circumstances (which POPLA can't even consider, and puts the person in more danger of blabbing naively about who was driving)

- ''insert where YOU PARKED and explain''!! NONONONO. Just no.

- this ridiculous sentence which has not had legs since the Beavis case 3 years ago and WILL LOSE:
    ''the charge is disproportionate and not commercially justifiable''...''exceeds the cost to the landowner''... ''not a justifiable loss''...''the fee is excessive'' (e.g. ''I only overstayed 15 minutes nut the parking charge os £100''

That weak excuse for an appeal (sorry MSE Towers, but that horrendous template gives away the driver) WILL LOSE and it is dangerous to wealth. You continue to cause people to lose money to parking scammers by giving them that) needs removing from the main site urgently.
    FREE template statement to cut and paste: Challenge a private parking firm (Problems opening it? See template letter help)

Even worse, MSE even tells victims to appeal a non-BPA or IPC member's scam ticket and TO GIVE THE SCAMMER THEIR DATA that they can't get otherwise ! Unbelievable - a generally terrible article for MSE to present to people.

So, to any newbies, go here instead for a template that works:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

So frustrating that all efforts by pm and email to put right these issues have been ignored by MSE, only MSE Marcel about 3 years ago, listened and made a few tweaks. Since then, nothing.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Coupon-mad
    edited 12 June 2018 at 3:38PM
    Sorry to rant about this MSE Andrea, the 'guide' has been worse than awful for years, gives wrong advice and I know you don't want that any more than I do.

:)

By way of illustration of what is wrong with the guide template, LittleMissParker has ruined her chances at POPLA (unless we can rescue it) because she used the guide:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5855043

She is not the only one.

We try to rescue these hopeless cases ruined by people using the guide, but it would be better if we all sang from the same hymn-sheet and simply told people to appeal as registered keeper, and not blab up front: ''you issued the PCN to ME'', ''I overstayed'', ''here is what I did/why I parked like that'' or ''waaaah... there was no loss and the £100 charge is excessive*''.

*ParkingEye v Beavis case killed that last point in November 2015, a very long time ago!
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    A fair amount of time and effort goes in to assisting people that have followed the dreadful advice on the main page.

It is shockingly outdated and some points in the sample appeal are just not viable.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Thanks Mercdriver

I have tried, but they use the phrase, "But Martin Lewis said to ignore them..."
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    I have tried, but they use the phrase, "But Martin Lewis said to ignore them..."

It's now explained what is wrong. I would be surprised if anything happened.
  • Coupon-mad
    Martin and the MSE article also like to still say that 'some on the forum' suggest a 'militant option' of ignoring.

We haven't done that since 2013, five YEARS ago!

So, it's only the dodgy MSE article that says that ignoring is an option. That is dangerous advice and frankly, very wrong (expect in the case of a non-AOS member scam firm).

The article, the 'guide' and the 'first appeal' template are flawed. I haven't dared to look at the POPLA appeal template that MSE suggest...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure