Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 3 - A New Beginning

Options

Comments

• Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope today has been a better day CCL.

I may have missed a mention but does Mr CCL have any family who can take him in?

My concern is that when he returns he will have no money and no where to live - is he expecting you to help with the initial deposit for renting a place?
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hope today has been a better day CCL.

I may have missed a mention but does Mr CCL have any family who can take him in?

My concern is that when he returns he will have no money and no where to live - is he expecting you to help with the initial deposit for renting a place?

It has been a better day EE, but very long. I didn't sleep well again last night - took me ages to doze over and then I kept waking up. I'm probably going to bed in a short while just because I'm so tired.

Mr CCL doesn't have any family. He hasn't seen his dad since he was 7, and his mother died 8 years ago. He has 2 uncles in Newark but they weren't willing to take him in as one of them is just out of hospital. He won't have any money or anywhere to live - so I don't know where he will go or what he will do. He hasn't thought that far ahead. I do have enough savings to put a deposit down in a room for him, but I won't offer to do it - he needs to try and work stuff out for himself. As I already said, I feel incredibly guilty about everything but I genuinely don't know what else I could have done. I have noticed a real improvement generally in my own mental health since he went, so I need to focus on that.

Busy day today. Lots of panicking Year 11's, but by all accounts the exam wasn't too bad. 1 down, 5 more to go. Got everything ticked off my to do list and managed to leave work by 4pm. Popped into town and got a couple of brochures from the travel agent. My dd has been begging for a sunny holiday for ages, and our independent travel agent does some excellent deals including school holiday discounts and single parent discounts. So we're going to see what we can sort out for next year. Something to look forward to and something to save for. Then I had to take 2 of the cats to the vets for annual boosters - no charge as I pay monthly for their vet care. One of them is overweight but otherwise ok, and the other is fine - phew. Except he seems a bit unwell since we got home - poor baby.

Loads done and too busy for spends. I just really need some sleep now.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hope you get a good sleep.
    It helps so so much.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    My kids seemed to think the biology exam was alright too.

Just popping in to send you love and vibes for everything

Love Buffy XX
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning

Hope you don't mind me giving some input. I don't know where in the UK you live, but whatever you do don't offer to put DH up or give money for deposit to help out when he comes back from his little jaunt. He needs to present himself as homeless (with his packed bags) at the local council offices. They should have a team/dept there that deals with homelessness and have access to emergency temporary accommodation. He will be assessed taking into account all factors and a decision will be made as to whether he shows a "priority need", if so, they may be able to assist with temporary emergency accommodation. Just a word of warning though, it's very tight out there, and the country as a whole has a massive homelessness problem, so when you think someone should qualify for help they don't always. A private rented room is going to be your next best choice, the local councils do have access to deposit schemes etc so may be able to help with a deposit again depending on his circumstances. If he's not working, he needs to apply for relevant benefits too.

Hope some of this helps, feel free to pm me if you need.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hang in there ccl. Sending you hugs. Hope you slept better.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • beanielou
    Options
    Hope that you managed to get some sleep.
    Take care of you :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Evening all :coffee:

I wish I could report a better night of sleep, but unfortunately it was another restless one. I fell asleep before 10pm but kept waking up and gave up and got up for the day just after 5pm. I'm tired again tonight but I don't have lots of running about to do before I can settle. The neighbours have put the bins out already so I don't need to do that :j, so just dinner, washing up and a shower needed tonight.

nmlc - thank you so much for your advice. I didn't know any of that so hopefully that will save me from having to dip into my own emergency fund to help him out. I will send you a quick pm as I have a couple of questions that you might be able to answer.

Another busy day at work today. Can't believe how non-stop everything is all of the time. I am getting loads done but time is just flying by. It's the chemistry exam tomorrow and both me and my students are significantly more worried about this one than the last (Chemistry is my subject). Then Thursday and Friday are very full teaching days so more busy stuff happening.

I'm just going to squeeze this massive spend in here and hope that you all overlook it. I have booked me and the kids a holiday abroad. Four nights in Fuertaventura during February half term next year for £1250, all inclusive and pre-booked seats on the aeroplane. I have only paid the deposit now, and may be foolish booking it but I have my exam marking to pay for it, and the kids are already so excited that I really think that I've done the right thing. I haven't been abroad since I had kids but I can't imagine needing a massive amount of spending money if we're all inclusive.

Marmalade cat seems to be doing much better today and has recovered from his grump after yesterday's vaccinations. Good, as I was a bit worried when he turned his nose up at breakfast this morning - he's obviously had a bit of a party while we've all been out during the day and has made up for it. :D
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    CCL - You deserve a holiday & there'll be all sorts of savings you can make if you need to, when the time comes.....a picnic for the trip to the airport, a sensible set amount of spending money for everyone, not being tempted by lots of new clothes for four days away, etc. Just enjoy it when it comes & in the meantime, enjoy how much your children are already looking forward to it.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • beanielou
    Options
    Something to look forward too :)
    Good news on the cat :)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure