Do you tip in restaurants?

Comments

• glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    CBaker wrote: »
    I generally always tip but it varies depending on the service. Normally a good service is around 15%, poor service is at most 10%.
    Seriously, you tip for poor service?

It's a bit like an employer saying "you've done an awful job this year, but have a 10% annual bonus anyway".
  • glider3560 wrote: »
    It's a bit like an employer saying "you've done an awful job this year, but have a 10% annual bonus anyway".

That's pretty much how it works, in Councils and banks. :D
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If they is a service charge then no unless the staff member was particularly good then a few pounds.

Went out in a group of 7 a few weeks ago. The waiter was very pleasant, helpful and organised. The bill came to about £170 so gave him a tenner.

If the service is average and below then no.
  • Chapuys
    Chapuys Posts: 156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I might seem stingy but I never really tip unless the waiter/waitress is exceptional. Unlike other countries, in the UK tips can't be part of the minimum wage anymore. Therefore they are being paid a wage for doing the job they are employed to do. I do pay service charges. Therefore, like I said, they have to tick every box with a smile and enthusiasm to get it. Then I pay a standard 10% - even on top of a service charge.
    Anything I say in no way constitutes financial advice and anything you do is your own decision.
  • adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    CBaker wrote: »
    I generally always tip but it varies depending on the service. Normally a good service is around 15%, poor service is at most 10%.

This sums up the truly bizarre culture of tipping.

The staff are paid a wage based on their contract and will get that if they offer poor or great service, yet people still tip as standard. Really, really odd.
  • adonis10
    What are people's thoughts on service charges automatically added to the bill? Do you ever ask for it to be removed or in true, polite British fashion just accept it whilst being angry inside? Also, do you tip as well? If so, why? Could effectively be paying up to 30% more for the same thing.

What if you were at the checkout in the supermarket with a trolley of good which add up to £100 and when they have all been scanned and bagged the cashier says "that will be £110, please?", presumably those who accept service charges would pay it?

It is just such a bizarre custom and so many people look down on those who question it!
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think the tips thing is out of hand, where it seems to have got to the point serving staff actually "expect" to be tipped.

I would rather have a service charge I know about before entering the establishment instead of an expectancy to pay a tip.
  • adonis10
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    I think the tips thing is out of hand, where it seems to have got to the point serving staff actually "expect" to be tipped.

Totally agree, and it isn't helped by the majority who look down on anyone who questions the custom.
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    I would rather have a service charge I know about before entering the establishment instead of an expectancy to pay a tip.

Or neither, and simply make a decision once the meal is complete and you are ready to pay the bill. The food and drinks cover all overheads and profits so it is then at the discretion of the customer as to whether they tip the server (not the establishment by way of service charge).
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What are people's thoughts on service charges automatically added to the bill?

In general I actually like it because it frees me from having to decide what's fair and I can always ask for it to removed if I want.
    Do you ever ask for it to be removed or in true, polite British fashion just accept it whilst being angry inside?
    If there was justification I would ask for it to be removed however it is important to give people the chance to put something right. The vast majority of the time restaurants will do what they can to help even in the case that what you order isn't what you expected i.e. it's not their fault.
    Also, do you tip as well?
    Usually no if there is a service charge.
    presumably those who accept service charges would pay it?
    No, completely different kettle of fish.
    Checkout service is included.
    If you have strong feelings about this then you should check a restaurants policy before you book, but often service is not included.
    It is just such a bizarre custom and so many people look down on those who question it!
    Nothing wrong with that, but if I felt an establishment was way out of line then I wouldn't go there in the first place.

Occasionally you don't have a choice, for example on a cruise ship, but if you're in London or Bristol choosing a restaurant then the fault is your if you choose one you don't like.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 3 November 2017 at 3:16PM
    I've always been supportive of tipping in restaurants, as a way of incentivising good service. But I do think the increase in minimum wage and tax thresholds means we should be tipping less, as the basic take home pay for waiting staff has increased dramatically.

This is particularly so in some parts of the US. In San Francisco, the minimum wage has increased to $14 an hour, and throughout California employers now have to provide group health insurance if they employ more than 50 full time staff. Many restaurants will try to recover these additional costs by adding a surcharge to the bill. This varied between half a percent and 5 percent on a recent visit. I'm no longer tipping 20% in CA.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback