Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Comments

• Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Wow lots happening here - refund from the swedes, competition wins and theatre trip. What a fab week you have had. Enjoy your lasagne - we were having Shepherds pie , but might to lasagne instead now you have got me thinking about it !
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Pleased you had a good time at the theatre, sounds good..different. Congrats on all the income/wins this week.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,790
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Morning all!

I have a stonking headache this morning and the plumber is due to turn up any minute to do the last bit in the kitchen. Honestly, next time DH can do it (I wanted to pay someone to get it done quicker.... apparently that's not how it works!).

Have completed the money shuffle now and am going to start putting monthly figures down so I can track progress at paying this 'debt' off. It has been another dire month workwise, so DH has paid my cc bills (almost entirely DIY and food, so I don't feel too guilty). I've scraped around for the interest on various accounts so this has been used towards the debt (I've also added what was in my OP fund, so debt has shrunk by ~£230, despite having no money!).

Mortgage: £98, 659.89
    Original Kitchen 'Debt': £2438.63
    Current kitchen debt: £2204.28
    Reduction: £234.35

This only includes the money we've had to borrow from my buffer fund - the kitchen sadly cost a lot more. Haven't yet heard from the refunds department at the Swedish furniture store, so will hope to hear today, otherwise I'll be chasing them. The debt might yet go up as I've estimated final plumber bill and we may add carpet for the spare bedroom to the debt, as I want to get it finished soon.

Yesterday we went to Silverstone (I won the tickets) - we took a packed lunch and I found 20p on the floor, so not a bad day! It was cold and windy though. Good racing and free exercise as we walked around the outside of the circuit.

I've drawn up a meal plan for the rest of the week, using up the veg in the fridge and the many varied items in the freezer - I think I've probably got enough to last for another week once we get back from camping, although I'll need to top up the fresh stuff. DH will have a hire car for work Tues/Weds/Thurs this week, so that will help save some fuel costs.

I signed up to Shopm!um using MW's referral code - have had free cornettos and some free baby food for niece. My code is s4ve6 if anyone wants to use it. It looks quite good and hopefully I'll get the cashback for those items this week.

If the plumber isn't here all day, I need to send an ebay parcel (about £2 net) and buy the cat's worming tablets. While I'm out I'm going to forage some nettles and (hopefully) some blackberries!

Milkman didn't turn up this morning, so I will need to email the company to get a refund... I'm not impressed, I pay a fortune for milk in glass bottles and I expect it to be delivered!

Right, enough waffle here, must get on... (or put kettle on again!)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Forumite
    Wins today

* Plumber charged £10 less than I'd estimated :D
    * I've just won some Onken Yougurt. I went for peach, strawberry and coconut (even better, DH doesn't like coconut, so I won't have to share!)
    * Walked to vets to get boys' worming treatment - have switched to a different one for fussy cat, it's cheaper and then the receptionist rang me as I was walking home to say that I could use it every 3 months, instead of monthly - so 2 months' cover became 6!
    * Ebay parcel posted - £1.73 total profit.
    * Shopm!um cashback has come through and been transferred to DH as it turns out he paid for the stuff!
    * One of my rellies has signed up using my code, so I'm all set to get a free bottle of bottlegreen - will (try to) keep it for Christmas/entertaining
    * Have finally sorted Brownie money and written a cheque to me for £18 for expenses owed
    * Found another receipt for £2.50 owed from different unit (sadly I'll have to wait for reimbursement rather than pay myself)
    * Not today, but forgot to mention that I freecycled a litter tray on Saturday and offered to deliver (within the town) as the lady didn't drive - she gave me a fiver, bless her!
    * Have been out and foraged some blackberries (the remains of) and some nettles (crazy woman alert) as have read they make a good hair rinse! Will put the blackberries with the apples from our tree and make a crumble for pud tonight.

Milkman did turn up, so now have enough milk to float the Queen Mary (good job there's toad in the hole and custard (not together!) on the menu then!

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,459
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    There's a lot of wins in that there post! Good for you :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    Forumite
    Thanks KC, it does seem to have been going rather well the last few days (bar the lack of work...).

Heard from my main client yesterday - he's been building a barn, it seems, in August. However, work should begin to pick up soon. And the Americans will be back from their Labor Day weekend today, so there may be some movement there too.

I've 'won' more tickets to Silverstone - basically it's an attempt to ensure some people are watching the racing I think, although this is for a series DH follows, and can be quite fun to watch (lots of argy-bargy), so we might go again :) Will take my flask next time though!

I'd made plans for today on the basis that I'd have a car to use (mine is off the road, no fuel tank currently!), but DH omitted to mention that he wasn't getting a hire car.... So, plans amended and I've got to wait in for parcels (for car) anyway. Friend is popping here instead and I might pop out with mum, sis and niece later.

Discovered we have a large tin of white emulsion in the shed, so will use that to white the walls in the spare room before using my freecycled magnolia - between the two, I should get both remaining bedrooms painted at no extra cost! :j Plan for today is to finish washing the walls down in spare room and sand the bits DH has already filled.

MS things:
    * comps entered
    * VB survey
    * Listed 1 thing on ebay and another on FB
    * Had a message from someone interested in something I listed on FB ages ago - she's coming to collect now! £3 for the pot!

Gratitudes:
    * Not having to walk to meet friend as it is now raining!
    * Cuddly kitties :)
    * Foraging yesterday - despite good intentions this is the first year in three years I've managed to pick any blackberries!
    * Free apples from my mum's neighbour

Have a good day all!

• themadvix
    Forumite
    Have had a low spend couple of days. I did go out with mum and sis on Tuesday afternoon - but only spend was a cup of tea, which mum paid for. It was £2.75 though! And the service was terrible. We won't be rushing back there again. We went to Mr A afterwards and sis claimed her Shopm!um freebies and I claimed my free bottlegreen (using referral to top up the cashback). Cash has already been received and transferred to cc bill - so much better than £co or TCB!

Yesterday I got on with jobs at home and then popped out for a walk with sis and niece - it was good to get some fresh air and exercise. We resisted the temptation of the local bakery, thus saving money and our waistlines. Popped to Sainsbury's on the way home for some necessary items - £8.00 spent. Saw Dad in the evening for a quick cuppa (and to borrow some camping bits).

Have just finished the last of three bits of work that arrived overnight - not a lot, but it's a start. Looking forward to a relaxing weekend away and hoping that I'll come back to proper volumes of work - I find it very frustrating not having any/much and normally would be feeling quite down about it - having sister around during the day has made a huge difference this year.

Various jobs to do today:
    * Bake for weekend (using some OOD ingredients acquired from a declutter elsewhere)
    * Stew some apples Mum gave me
    * Prepare for brownies tomorrow
    * Actually wash those walls down/paint

Can you tell what I'm good at procrastinating about?!

MS things:
    * £2 won on Gfk TV survey
    * 'DH' won some yoghurt
    * Free apples and baking ingredients
    * Picked 5p up from floor
    * DH took my freegle fiver for lunch at a trade show yesterday, but managed to wangle lunch from a supplier :D and he's taken a packed lunch today
    * Usual SBs, VB, MS rewards

Gratitudes:
    * We've cracked fussy cat's aversion to medication - a cheapy wet cat food tray and mush it all in
    * A long weekend away ahead
    * DH is cooking tonight (beetroot curry - it's an experiment!!)

• Sounds like you've had a productive couple of days. I'm glad work seems to be picking up a bit, long may it continue!

I'll have to try Shopm!um. I downloaded the app but haven't done much with it. It does sound much better than £co and TCB.

Some more good wins, you seem to be on a lucky streak :)

Glad you've cracked the cat medication issue too!
    Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
    Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
    Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
    Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,459
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Apples! There are so many apple trees round here ... that'll be a good thing to do for the weekend.

Hope the beetroot curry was good - and that you have a lovely weekend away :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    Forumite
    Thanks KC. No beetroot curry in the end as neither of us could be bothered. Made a stir fry instead, with what we'd got in, so just as cheap.

DH off today, so we're doing finishingy bits on kitchen and he's battling the weather to get my car back in one piece.

MS things:
    * £4 computer monitor reward
    * 12p £co cashback paid :rotfl: can't withdraw until it's £1 and I've given up hope of that with £co
    * Work done
    * VB, SB, MS rewards done

Gratitudes:
    * Such a committed husband, working on the car in the rain (although apparently he's taking it more apart, not putting it back together!)
    * Visit from Sis and niece expected at some point
    * Back to brownies tonight :)

Have a good weekend all!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback