Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Comments

• Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    edited 25 August 2017 at 8:19AM
    Hi Madvix just catching up on a few diaries. Glad to hear your kitchen is finished, you will be so glad to get the the house back to normal and start enjoying it. Your camping trip away sounds like it is just coming at the right time for a well deserved break.

We did a similar thing for a wedding this year, it was abroad in a country we had never visited so we just counted it as a holiday. It was expensive though ( best part of £1k) by the time we had done flights, accomodation, gift, drinks etc. Luckily we didn't need new outfits has we seem to have become professional wedding goers lately ! We did enjoy it though and it was a unique happy occasion that I am glad I didn't miss.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,881
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I've finally caught up with your dairy. I'm glad he kitchen is done and the cat is getting better at using the tray, mine has vomited on ds2s bed this morning and been to the toilet next to the tray - the joy of pets :rotfl:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,791
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Newgirly.... yes, totally, the joy of pets!!

Thanks BusyMee, hopefully we'll be able to keep costs down - I think I have a suitable dress and if we share an airbnb with DH's brother and GF that should help! (And she'll be able to do my hair before the wedding - she's my hairdresser!). Will talk to them tonight as we're off to the in-laws for a BBQ.

It's been a busy few days, hence no updates. Kitchen is all put away now and on Thursday I baked a cake - it is so lovely to have everything to hand in places that are easy to reach!

On Friday Mum and I went to the Swedish store and returned various bits - after getting the bits I needed, there was a net gain of £15. Someone from the store rang me on Thursday re worktop and hopefully I'm getting my money back - am waiting to hear back from them once the man had checked with his manager.

Yesterday I went sailing with my Dad, and left DH (who gets seasick on a lake) at home - when I got back there were handles on the drawers :D Not only that but DH had taken delivery of two boxes which he thought was an Am delivery.... turned out to be a prize of pasta and sauce - loads of them! (10 jars of sauce and 16 boxes of pasta!) So exciting!!

On Friday also had an email telling me I'd won tickets to an event at Silverstone on 3rd September - DH and I will really enjoy that :) This comping lark seems to be going well :D

MS things:
    * Competition wins :D won't need to buy pasta for a looooong time!
    * Bought some cod for dinner last night from a van near the boat - was £4.50 for a side (3 portions) - bargainous
    * Used homegrown tomatoes in recipe
    * Used homegrown rhubarb in cake earlier in the week (cake neither MS nor healthy - it was this - a lot of butter, but delicious!)
    * One thing listed on ebay as part of kitchen declutter. More for the boot sale too.

Gratitudes:

* Gorgeous day's sailing yesterday in the sunshine with Dad and his friend who was given a really bad cancer prognosis at the end of last year, but for whom everything is actually much much more positive
    * My lovely DH, doing kitcheny stuff while I'm off having fun
    * My competition wins - it's been a great week and I'm grateful for everything I've won!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Sounds like things are coming together nicely.

I hope you get your money back from the Swedish company soon!
    Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
    Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
    Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
    Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Great comping wins!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Fab stuff with the wins! :) Pasta on your meal plans until Christmas now? :D enjoy the weekend in Silverstone too!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Wow just checked out your diary and I'm loving the comp wins you've been having... where are you entering them may I ask?
    Started my MFW journey in August 14 : £103,650
    2019 : £77,900
  • themadvix
    Forumite
    edited 30 August 2017 at 7:28AM
    Ooh, lots of visitors!

Yes, comping wins have been great - had a really lucky week :) Nice to see you wildesavings - the comps are all on the comping board on here, can't recommend the board highly enough, everyone is friendly and incredibly generous and the guide is a great place to start. Had an email yesterday to say I'd won another book! This one will be one of the nieces' Christmas presents, so will stash it away when it arrives. Kitten, we will most certainly be eating pasta from now until Christmas! :rotfl: Tried a sauce at the weekend and it was very good too and not too salty or sugary either.

Heard back from the Swedes and they've agreed to refund my money in full for the worktop :D If we were staying here long term then I'd want them to sort it out (which they were very prepared to do, I have to say), but as it is, I can live with it for a couple of years and would rather have the money back.

It's been a busy few days - I've been reading diaries by digest, but haven't managed to get onto them. Hope to do so later. Yesterday I met an old colleague for lunch - it was lovely to catch up and we went to a really nice farm shop that I'd not been to before. Will be returning there (especially as they did a veggie sausage baguette, yum!). She paid for lunch last time (last year), so I paid yesterday.... figure the money back from the worktop will help! Took something back to JL, so £12 back onto my card too and had a quick catch-up with sis and niece who are back from their week away.

Off to do some volunteering this morning - have work to do first. Things are beginning to pick up which is good. Am feeling re-motivated to be thrifty and a bit more positive about financial things, so long may that continue! Having said that, am meeting DH for lunch at his work (subsidised) canteen today as we're off to the theatre for date night later, going to see The Producers.

MS things:
    * Another win, directly reducing Christmas costs
    * VB survey
    * Lots of work yesterday
    * £12 refund from JL
    * £195 refund to come from IK**
    * Used up tiny bit of cod last night and stretched it between us in this curry, with added runner beans!
    * Lasagne (:rotfl:) tonight using up bolognese from weekend, free lasagne sheets and will stretch with some bolognese from the freezer (which we didn't eat while we didn't have a kitchen as the other half of it didn't taste great!)

Gratitudes:
    * Cuddles with niece and the smiles she had for me
    * Lunch with colleague - lovely to see her
    * A day of decluttering awaits
    * Work

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,818
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Congratulations on the full refund for the worktop and for the comp wins!! x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40,
  • themadvix
    Forumite
    Thanks Jess!

Theatre was great last night - it was really lovely to do something different and it was the first time we'd made use of the local leisure facilities, so gave us a bit of a different insight into the town we live in (and which we are frequently scathing about). While it's not where we want to live long term, we probably do see the worst in the area we live in and the town centre - it's perhaps not all as bad. Instead of having a drink in the theatre we popped to Wetherspoons first - does that count as moneysaving?!

Lots to do today as it's payday, so am up, dishwasher and washing on and bread doing its thing (the first loaves in my new kitchen!). Have some work to do too :) Apart from needing milk, I won't be leaving the house, so should be a low spend day.

MS things:
    * That lasagne I was waffling on about yesterday - tonight's tea! (My brain clearly wasn't thinking yesterday!)
    * VB poll, SBs collected
    * Comps up to date -it's end of month, which is a big thing I think!
    * Will investigate and sign up to Shopm!um via MW's referral for some free ice creams

Gratitudes:
    * Sunshine - wasn't yesterday miserable
    * The air's just beginning to get that autumnal feeling (I love summer and hate to see it go, but autumn is lovely too, just less keen on winter!)
    * home made bread!:T

Have a good Thursday all!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback