Finally I have a mortgage I can start to pay off!

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,790
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks Jessy!

Further investigations of pipe last night revealed a) it's worse than it looks leak-wise but b) it's not blocked. Just spoken to plumber... he can come on Friday afternoon/Saturday morning to fix the pipe hopefully. But won't be able to do second fix then - that might be the end of next week! :( It will mean that it's the very last thing to happen though, so kitchen will be truly finished then. (And so far all tradesmen have underpromised and overdelivered in terms of timing, so we'll see!). If it's two separate visits, it'll be more money, but I trust him and know we won't get ripped off.

DH and I were so grumpy last night we had to laugh at ourselves... both thoroughly fed up and in need of a home-cooked meal. Couldn't decide where to go for food... in the end had a lovely meal in Cafe Rouge which restored our perspectives a bit and only cost £10 (for three courses - £30 Leisure vouchers and 40% off :D ). Tonight we'll be using the oven properly for the first time - it won't be haute cuisine, but at least it'll be at home!

MS things:
    * 49p cashback from debit card for Wickes tracked
    * MS rewards bonus points collected
    * SBs collected, including swago
    * Comps entered (still waiting for that big fat cheque to pop through the door!)

Work has gone quiet again, but that's usual for this time of year. Am helping DH with something for his work though...

Gratitudes:
    * We have a downstairs loo that doesn't use the same stack pipe! :rotfl:
    * Plans to see a friend tomorrow morning for a catch up
    * Home-cooked dinner to look forward to tonight
    * Have spoken to plumber.... no progress was getting me down

Have a good afternoon all :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    Forumite
    Hi all,

Not a lot happening here as waiting for the plumber to come tomorrow afternoon (hopefully). Spending on food is down though - managing to use the oven and portable induction hob to cook basic meals (something, chips and peas), and last night we went to in-laws for delicious paella (and to do washing!). Water bill will be down too as we're now showering elsewhere to allow stack pipe to dry out as much as possible!

Big piece of worktop arrived today (custom order so took separate from the short bit we ordered in store). It's taking up half the living room and I'm not sure when we'll be fitting it! Plan is to attempt cutting and fitting of the short (£40) piece ourselves and if all is well, do the expensive (~£200) bit. If we mess up the first/decide we're not brave enough to do the big bit we'll get a chippy in to sort it (more expense, but not as much as a replacement bit!).

Sis and niece came over today unexpectedly and stayed for lunch - was lovely to see them, but I didn't get quite as much done as I'd hoped!

MS things:
    * VB poll
    * SBs collected
    * PA survey done
    * Comps entered
    * TCB and debit card cb paid and transferred (£3.32)
    * £4 computer monitor reward received

Gratitudes:
    * Sunshine!
    * Cuddles with niece (and watching her with the cats - she gets so excited!)
    * Dinner with in-laws last night

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hope you get the pipe sorted soon and it's not too expensive. Love your gratitudes.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • themadvix
    Forumite
    Afternoon all,

Plumber has been and hopefully solved the problem. He made it clear that the only real option if it still leaks is more silicone, as we'd have to tear down walls and things otherwise, which is not a route we wish to go down. Therefore, we're going to lay the floor in the kitchen tonight!

Otherwise it's been a quiet day - visited mum to use her shower earlier and had lunch there (missed out on lunch out with dad, which was a pity as I see less of him as he works full time).

MS things:
    * VB poll
    *SBs collected
    * 98p withdrawn from PP from ebay sale and added to pot
    * £9.89 interest from Nw 'added' to pot (a theoretic difference as the money is credited to that account anyway

No work whatsoever today, so there's only small wins to be gained (and potentially a hideous plumbing bill - I didn't ask, in the hope that he might just add £50 onto the next one, rather than £120!! :eek: )

Gratitudes:
    * Roof out of car on way to and from mum's - enjoying the sunshine (always puts a smile on my face)
    * Pruned triffid-like tomatoes - have never had much success before now, but this lot are taking over :)
    * Apart from last plumbing (which won't be till Thurs at earliest!) and final bits, kitchen should be finished by Sunday! Whoop!

Happy Friday everyone!

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,459
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    themadvix wrote: »
    Gratitudes:
    * Roof out of car on way to and from mum's - enjoying the sunshine (always puts a smile on my face)
    I'm really hoping, in fact I'm going to **assume** that your car is a convertible :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    Forumite
    Haha! Not quite - it has a large sun roof with removable panes :)

Off out for the day with Dad, Sis and Niece - should be lovely :)

Will update later!

• Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,818
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Have a great day MV! x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40,
  • themadvix
    Forumite
    Whoops, didn't make it back on here yesterday - had a lovely day out at Wrest Park with Dad and Sister and Niece. Spend a lot of time with Mum/Sis/Niece, so it was nice to spend some time with Dad (parents are divorced). Even better - Dad paid for us to get in (he's a member) and for lunch. I paid for coffee, so I don't feel too bad (especially as sis and I were all ready to take a picnic, but that's not Dad's style.... why save money when you can spend it?!)

The park was beautiful and there was a lot to see - we had a cuppa at home when we got back and as soon as they'd left I collapsed on the sofa for a nap! DH came home, we went DIY shopping (what fun) and then we fitted the hob and moved the fridge back into the kitchen.... which is great.... except everything else is still in the dining room!

On the work front I've done a couple of small bits this morning (annoyingly missed out on another one) and replied to an email enquiring about ongoing collaboration - it wasn't addressed specifically to me, so there'll be competition for the role. Fingers crossed though - it looks interesting and the client is EU-based (US or EU is one of my requirements since the Ukrainians... who incidentally still haven't paid and I think have no intention of doing so before the 3-year deadline). Have also chased a new client who hadn't paid - she'd forgotten and paid straight away, so all is good there.

However, still not a lot going on workwise - roll on September!

MS things:
    * Comps entered
    * Surveys up to date
    * VB poll done
    * SBs collected - am 'watching videos' as I type... people seem to get it working to make loads of profit using the app, I might need to have a go at this with the Kindle (I have a Windows phone - no apps!)
    * Eating at home - it's still not haute cuisine, but not eating out/getting takeaway is so nice and so much cheaper.

Has anyone exchanged PC or SBs credit for prepaid virtual mastercards? I've done this twice now, thinking it was a great idea, but I'm struggling to spend them... am I missing something or is it a pretty rubbish way to get paid?

Gratitudes:
    * Lovely day out yesterday
    * Kitchen is coming together (fingers crossed plumber on Thursday!)
    * Mum is bringing niece over later - she's got her for the whole day as sis has a KIT day! Think Mum will look like :eek: by the time she gets here!

• Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,818
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I've claimed one of those mastercards MV and I wouldn't do it again! I thought I'd be able to put it towards my tesco shop online but no it wouldn't work because it didn't cover the whole amount. In the end I used it on amazon and bought something for £8 (the card was £10) so I won't be able to claim the £2 I have left! x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40,
  • themadvix
    Forumite
    I am so glad it's not just me Jess! I won't be making the mistake again. I need something from Amazon, so I think that's what I'll do. What's even more annoying is they seem to be from different providers so you can't even add them together to make a bigger balance... So annoying.

Had a spendy day yesterday, but got a lot for my money. Needed an oven liner for new oven so popped to JL with Mum (she had a voucher for free tea and cake for two, so giant scone formed lunch!). Also bought a hoodie from Fatface in the sale - using £20 voucher mum gave me for Christmas it was only £10. Popped into a charity shop to find a toy for niece to play with at our house - spent £2.50 on a toy and three virtually brand new paperbacks by an author I like - absolute bargain! Mum gave me a giant cucumber that she'd been given too so I had a lot of stuff to bring home!

Popped into Dunelm on my way home to get a stool I need for the kitchen. Used another gift card with £2.50 on it but when I got home discovered I'd got the wrong sized stool, so will return that shortly and get the smaller one (and £4 cheaper, thereby only costing me £2.50 of actual money!).

The best bit? Getting the blinking gift cards out of my purse! :)

DH is on his way home from a meeting oop north and we're planning on spending the afternoon doing kitcheny stuff. He's seen our friends who take us to the L2B in November - he's been told a condition of our invitation is that we don't pay for anything!! (I snuck in to pay part of our hotel bill last year, apparently I mustn't do that this year. Will have to think of a good gift to send them afterwards... running out of ideas though!).

MS things this morning:
    * VB poll and SBs done
    * Hopefully got cashback on the stool by reserving online
    * Will get £4 refund for first stool
    * Dippy sis thought a cake described as a loaf would actually be bread-like (she doesn't like cake.... I know!!??!!), so I need to go and collect some rather yummy sounding cake from hers later

Gratitudes:
    * Seen a lot of family the last few days - has been nice
    * Used new hob last night for my dinner :j
    * DH home soon for afternoon :)
    * Bargainous books from charity shop
    * Lovely car friends :)

Sun has come out so need to get washing out and dry now (done at mum's yesterday, along with a dishwasher load....:o )

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback