*Official* Primark Bargains! - What have you found? *Official*

SimmyJnr
SimmyJnr Posts: 12 Forumite
edited 3 May 2011 at 4:58PM in Quick! Grabbit while you can
This thread is all about what's hot and what's not at Primark. We all know Primark's a bit of a gamble when it comes to quality, so MoneySavers have started a list of what items they believe are worth it and what won't last more than two wears. Here are a few finds, along with forumites' comments.

The hotties:

• T-shirts (£1.90). Great for jogging or sleeping.
  • Casio-style watch (£1.50). Similar to Casio watches but cheaper.
  • 'Control' leggings (£4). Wash well and don't get see-through areas from stretching.
  • Baby girls' summer dresses (£5 to £8). Pretty and usually well made
  • Linen trousers (£9). Similar to M&S and much cheaper.

The notties:

• T-shirts (£1.90). Quality not good enough for long term wear.
  • Girls' knickers (25p). Dissolve in the wash.
  • Kids' PJs. Tops, especially, go wider and shorter in the wash

And now back to SimmyJnr's original post...

Granted Primark don't do sales but then again, why would they have to?

Basically, I don't usually ever shop in Primark for simple reasons like some of the t-shirts are irregular sizes, go baggy in the wash etc etc. However, there is no doubt that there are clothes in the store which, even if you only wear it a handful of times, are value for money. Not only that, sometimes you might even find something that you REALLY like.

Let me tell you about why I thought of this thread. I was in today, the one in Braehead, Glasgow. Usually, I'd walk past Primark but I was with a friend who decided to go in because she needed some cheap things just to wear. Now, I'm going on holiday in June, like many people on the board might be and due to the whole money and financial aspect at the moment, fact is that many of us can't afford to be going out to buy Ted Baker, Abercrombie and Fitch, FCUK, Prada, Lacoste etc. I lost my job at the end of January and i'm still looking. So I really can;t afford it right now. So when I walked into Primark, I wasn't surprised by the prices, I was surprised with the actual clothing. It was ... nice?

So I thought I'd come on the forum and make up this thread and maybe we could grab a few people who shop in Primark regularly, or even who don't shop there normally, and maybe get some things posted up that might be beneficial to others.

I hope this hasn't been done already, so here we go.

Basically, I was in today and I picked up a Superman Hoody. Next to it was a Batman one and they had some Batman t-shirts as well. There was another few hoodies lying on the shelf just round from it at £9. The superman hoody was £14. So I bought both for £23. Not only that, there were t-shirts at £1.90. £1.90! AND there was hundreds of them. These tshirts aren't going to go into long term wear but if you are going on holiday or jogging, kicking about the house even going to sleep in one, they are an absolute steal.

One other thing, As I didn't really look around, I didn't really see what else they had but in the que to pay, they were selling those Breo watches (or ones very similar) for £2.50. Normally these at £8 odd on Amazon and no one could tell the difference. They also had what looked like retro style Casio look a like watches for £1.50. Excellent for jogging, or camping if you don't want to damage your first choice one.

So just to give a wee summery:

Batman & Superman Hoody - £14
Other heavy hoodies - £9
T-shirts - £1.90
Breo style watches - £2.50
Casio Style watches - £1.50

I hope this takes off, cause it could really be a topper.

(Also, if anyone wants pictures of the jumpers i bought, I can do that, to show you what they look like)

Enjoy and happy hunting :D:money:

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,893
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    In the lakeside branch yesterday i bought a pair of turquoise leather gloves for £1, they also had red leather and green suede, plus a kids duvet set at £4 down from £8 and an evening lace bag for £1. I love primark.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Love_A_Bargain
    Love_A_Bargain Posts: 2,956
    Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Don't usually go to Primark, the queue always put me off, but if any interesting bargains in there I might just make the extra effort:D.
    I don't think I've seen a Primark thread, thanks OP:).
    You are 48% tight
    "You're frugal, you're thrifty, but on this site that's a little bit fab."
  • babyx1uk3
    babyx1uk3 Posts: 1,989
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks op. Recently went in there and brought a cute pair of plain red pumps for £1 and they fit really well. They were in the sale as normally more but for £1 you can't really go wrong.

Other things I've noticed are girls tights have been reduced so if your store still has stock worth stocking up as only £1/£2 for those too & so far seem to have lasted. School tights been reduced to although quality of these aren't brilliant but 2 pairs for £2 they last long enough for me :)
  • *Jelly_Tots*
    *Jelly_Tots* Posts: 2,102 Forumite
    Don't usually go to Primark, the queue always put me off, but if any interesting bargains in there I might just make the extra effort:D.
    I don't think I've seen a Primark thread, thanks OP:).
    I agree - if they could sort the queues out I would shop in there a LOT. This is my typical trip to Primark: Go in, choose a few things, look at the q, put items back, come out.
  • I find that the queues go down really quickly. Give it a try you will be surprised.
  • Best for me so far have been t shirts for DS to wear to preschool for £1 each (that's the full price!) and the quality is actually really good.
    The boys' briefs are good too, though the essential girls' knickers dissolve in the wash- 25p per pair so maybe that's to be expected.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • carlyh69
    carlyh69 Posts: 303 Forumite
    I agree, the queues always look massive, but they actually get them down really quickly as they usually have a lot of people on tills.

I've found most things are good from primark, although a few t shirts i ve had from there have gone out of shape after the first wash, so i tend to get vest/t shirts from peacocks as the quality is a bit better. But in terms of swimwear, primark is AMAZING!
    Wins 2016: Dogfest ticks, B&M dog Hamper, Dog food, Dog blanket, Hair product, meal for 2 and wine at pub, craft bundle, organic surge gift pack, £100 gullivers world voucher, stress out cd, £200 seascape vouchers, popcorn maker, mandarin body butter, Wishing for a holiday win!
  • lainey5565
    lainey5565 Posts: 117 Forumite
    I bought a maxi dress with with tie around the neck £15.
    It was fully lined and a very colourful.

White linen pants £9
    :kisses:
  • my sis picked up some childrens ugg style boots for £2 each, they were reduced but had loads (in every size except my daughters! grrrr!)
    I picked up 2 swimming costumes for my DD for £5, a minnie mouse hooded towel for £5 and a grey light weight hoodie for me for £4.
    Like others have said I find the queues go down fast (except customer services which seems to take forever), only branch i ever waited ages in was Oxford street but that ones always heaving so would avoid in furture if possible.
  • Tia_Maria06
    Tia_Maria06 Posts: 777 Forumite
    I went to the new Primarni in Harrogate and bought a new handbag for £3. I had been looking around for the particular style I wanted and the cheapest I saw was about £12 in Tesco's. I also got a bling braclet and earings for a quid!! Bargain :)
    He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

If you really cant knit very well, then practise drumming with the needles...

:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport